The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 100 year old glass pipe ad

Default 100 year old glass pipe ad

I found this surfing. Page 73 of the 1906-1907 McLure's shows an add for a glass tobacco pipe. What's up!!!!!!! here's a link

http://books.google.com/books?id=Lc9...tPQ2SNguNMRu_4

Remember Page 73

Had to buy this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Peace,

boxfan
    Last edited by boxfan willy; 10-09-2007 at 04:30 AM.

Default Re: 100 year old glass pipe ad

Wow! what a find....you know.....people can go to court and demonstrate that people have been using glass pipes for a hundred years to smoke tobacco. Cool. I need to buy a copy of that book.

Wink Re: 100 year old glass pipe ad

I hope so. I see holes on the bowl, which technically means it is carburated, or made to combine carbon fuel(tobacco) with air mix.
    According to Webster's, http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=carburet
    the definition isn't technically correct. They refer heavily to Hydrocarbon's mixed with air as "carburation" in an internal combustion engine, or simply to combine with carbon. If you call them out on the definition of carburation, then they are dead wrong if they want to play the word game.
    Play on playa.

Federal Code:http: //www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/csa/863.htm#d

Peace,

boxfan

Good find.

read the article.. "with this pipe it is impossible to ... take nicotine into your system"

very weird design.

yes, carburation by definition makes no sense for a pipe... maybe slang counts... hah

z--seth

I think that the holes in the picture of the pipe are the "vents" from the inner meerschaum bowl to the outer glass bowl, where the nicotine is supposed to collect.

However, the ad does say that it is washable. So, either the bowls come apart so you can clean the outer glass bowl or there is another cleaning hole on the outer bowl, somewhere.

Since all-glass pipes are usually one piece, it would make sense to put a cleaning hole in the outer bowl.

Does the claim that every bit of tobacco is burned imply that more complete combustion of the tobacco occurs than with with traditional tobacco pipes? Could that imply that there is a hole in the outer bowl for carburetion? Is there some other way that the tobacco is being combusted more completely?
    ~Kimberly
    oxygen concentrators and Momka's borosilicate glass
    Check out my YouTube Channel for videos of torches running on concentrators. I'm working on more, so stay tuned and keep checking.

really neat! never boil your pipe again!!

only 1.50 . wow

Good find Will.

I snapped this photo of a glass pipe at the shelburne mesuem

http://www.glassartists.org/Img95679...ne_178.jpg.asp

Hey Wil, check your pm's :-)
    It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    Really.

Quote Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
    Does the claim that every bit of tobacco is burned imply that more complete combustion of the tobacco occurs than with with traditional tobacco pipes? Could that imply that there is a hole in the outer bowl for carburetion? Is there some other way that the tobacco is being combusted more completely?
    No. it means there were no "Truth in advertizing" laws 100 years ago. Snake oil, anyone?

It seems to be claiming that because of the use of a chamber for the smoke and condensation to collect away from the bowl, the tobacco burns dryer and therefore more completely. I dont think there is a carb though. I think the main thing being advertised is the addition of a chamber being seperate from the bowl. its essentially a bowl push instead of a flare for a bowl. I see two holes in the bowl, one at the bottom and one closer to the top. probly for more even burning or for ease of getting a huge deep bowl of tobacco lit. For cleaning I think the bowl comes out. If not, we know that at least the stem is removable.

Let me clear my throat. Kick it over here baby pop, so all the fly skivvies can feel our beat

I guess my point is that if I had to defend myself federally, the only definition that is applicable is for carburet
    "car·bu·ret /ˈkɑrbəˌreɪt, -byə-, -byəˌrɛt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kahr-buh-reyt, -byuh-, -byuh-ret]
    Pronunciation–verb (used with object), -ret·ed, -ret·ing or (especially British) -ret·ted, -ret·ting.
    to combine or mix with carbon or hydrocarbons.

But, According to the code, the wording is "carburetor pipe". All definitions of carburetor after 1866 refer to "volatile gas" and "combustion engine", for example:
    car·bu·re·tor /ˈkɑrbəˌreɪtər, -byə-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kahr-buh-rey-ter, -byuh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    a device for mixing vaporized fuel with air to produce a combustible or explosive mixture, as for an internal-combustion engine.

So their wording is not defendable.
    Either every pipe in the world is a carburetor pipe(working off the base word carburet) on the premise that all pipes must have a carbon(tobacco, legal smoking herbs) that combines with air as an accelerant. Every pipe in the world performs this function. Our third hole would be more properly defined as an air injector even though I prefer "cleaning portal".

If they work off every definition of carburetor after 1866, then to a court of law, a carburetor pipe would be a device that mixes air with a vaporized fuel or combustible fuel that refers to combustion engine. I have never seen a combustion engine that runs off tobacco or legal smoking herbs. Mine must not be "carburetor pipe"

That's the best way I can explain my thoughts at 5:30 am

boxfan

carburetor... I always thought calling the "air hole" a carburetor was nothing more then a stoner term to make it sound like its doing some thing cool.

I allways thought it was odd that any legal terms use the word carburetor. Sence it does not carburate any thing I don't know why its called that.

But that add predates any of this stupid drug war stuff and it proves by precendent that even a tobacco pipe CAN have a carb in it and still be for tobacco. weather it has a carb or not would not change the definition of what it was intended for by the maker if it where made to be a tobacco pipe.

You guys wanna see some really old patents of a pipe with a "carb"? They are not made of glass, but as far as the history of features on tobacco pipes, these are great. Incidentally, somewhere I think I also have evidence of glass tobacco pipes being made in Victorian (early 19th Century) England. These are pdf files, so you'll need adobe if you don't have it.

Here ya go:
    This one is the best as far as the function of the "carb". The patent contains the following quote, describing the purpose of the part of the pipe labeled #12:

"12 is a valve attached to the stem of the pipe, and opening into it, to enable the user to modify the strength of the smoke and increase the effect of the condenser by admitting atmospheric air. At the time of lighting the pipe, or at any other time when preferred, this valve may be closed either wholly or partially, as the user may desire."

Patented March 4, 1862

I also have a few others that demonstrate the 19th century usage of removable stoppers in pipes to be used as a "cleaning hole" access:

Patented Jan. 8, 1884
    Patented Sept. 29, 1896
    Patented Dec. 12, 1899

I found all these in about '94 or '95, before you could access such things on the internet. It took a lot of library hours to find them. Hope they help.

What amazes me is the price if $1.50. Some of you are making prodo for your distributors for $5 to $7 If I read this stuff right. Seems like the prices have not gone up enough to match the inflation we have seen since 1906. Just doesn't seem like the price of pipes has kept up over the years...or the Man has kept you down.....
    Marble On!
    Mike

if it happens too quick, then that usually means it was rushed...( Sinbad )

Here's a colored glass pipe ( I broke the stem and haven't fixed it) It has a metal top and metal ring, the rest is glass.. It's from Trev's Old Glass Blowing Collection of stuff
    Last edited by sunray; 08-18-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    SUNRAY
    The Shopkeeper

i know that thomas muller litz has a onie that is atleast 100 years old, ill email him and get a picture of it, and ask him how old it is. i know its in his personal collection.