The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: covering wood floors

Default covering wood floors

I am moving into a new workshop space. Small 10'x12' shed with wood floors. What's the best material to cover the floors with?

I was thinking possibly fiber board .. the smooth underflooring stuff that covers my table.

drew

Blog Entries

Default Re: covering wood floors

hardi backer is what is used on many benches but it is really made as an underlay for tile. it's non-flammible, relatively cheap and super durable.
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

Yep, hardibacker is best for floors, though, I have wood floors with no intention of covering them. If was really worried I guess I could put it down just around the bench.
    Julz

"Free Your Mind, and Your Glass Will Follow"

Durock is another tile underlayment that's fire proof and durable. It'll scratch the hell out of the wood, though.
    Everything in moderation, even moderation

I would not suggest hardibacker. It does contain materials that are carcinogenic if airborne. I used it before I knew this and it will bust loose under a rolly chair, become airborne.

I used garage paint and let it be, but my tanks were hardlined with no hoses hanging around.

My .015 cents

Quote Originally Posted by boxfan willy View Post
    I used garage paint and let it be, but my tanks were hardlined with no hoses hanging around.

My .015 cents
    What's garage paint and where? on the floors?

hardie backer is nice for a bench but it does degrade walking on it fairly quickly that and it does scratch wood to hell....

use a steel sheet plate... should be able to pick one up at a salvage or steel yard cheaper then lowes any day.

peace
    rob

pick your hoses up off the floor with hooks under your bench.

you could just put wood on your wood floors.. if you're just trying to protect the wood floor
    ... sure, it's still sorta flammable, but it's not too susceptible. i've dropped some pretty big glowing hot things on plywood.. it burns, but doesn't continue burning.

z--seth

nickglassdood Lurker

dood i hate metal reflects heat and warps and shit

nickglassdood Lurker

id go hardi backer on the table, durarock under then bench or just say screw the floors

If you decide to use durarock you can save the floors from getting scratched by buying some undyed muslim fabric (about $2-3 bucks a yard at most fabric stores) and just throwing it down on top of the wood, under the durarock.
    -Kalera
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. (Nietzsche)

or get some of that foam stuff they put under carpets. I mean you're only doing around and under the bench right? Just make sure you get the joints close together so you don't get broken glass under the pieces of cement board.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

use mastic to stick the tile to the floor just take care to that its not to cold wont stick then grout ceramic tile is prety cheep at lowes let dry overnite then grout it will hold up a while hope this helps

I put vinyl flooring down in my shed. Super easy, and the only burn marks are from stuff coming out of my wood stove! Hot glass falling off the table was never enough to leave burn marks.

I've been working on wood floors for well over a year and I haven't had a fire yet. maybe I've been lucky but usually when a peice of hot glass hits the floor it just smolders alittle for a minute and then just cools down. I have had some little fires when it landed in a pile of garbage but the floor has never ignited. I guess I'm sorta like those guys that used to do the furniture restorations on TV: I'll suggest you use safety gear but I won't use it myself...

I think some people are less concerned about the fire danger than about leaving scorchmarks in a nice, expensive-to-replace wood floor. So it's nice to know alternatives that don't involve ruining the floor.
    -Kalera
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. (Nietzsche)