The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Soft Glass Vs. Borosilicate

Default Re: Soft Glass Vs. Borosilicate

boro rules. every try to make a stemless bubbler out soft glass? case closed, thread closed. next.
    2010bc

I love the way Lucio works softglass, keeping the colors he's using semi-molten in the backwash of his flame on that rack thingy. You can do alot with soft glass and sculpture. Its really nice that you can seal two pieces of softglass without having to reheat the joint.

Moretti is cheap too. Buy it in bulk and you can get deals like $5/lb on lots of colors.

I went through several pounds of moretti trying to make blown work via stick stack. While I never did manage to pull off a 100% moretti goblet, i got real close. Frustration eventully lead to me shelving the idea, but I'll go back eventually and pull it off. I did pull off several blown xmas ornaments, and made some sweet blown feet via coilpotting. FYI, moretti and most other soft glasses open up much smoother and easier then boro when making feet. The feet I made were perfect right off the bat, opened up in like 1/2 the time. I still have them and may use them as bases in the future, when I feel the call of moretti again.

Moretti requires much more finesse and skill to work then boros, and I think most lampworkers are spoiled on boros. If you think your good, try making the same thing out of soft glass.

I still REALLY want to make a reproduction of the glassblowing bench used in the 19th century by the Blashka's and others. I think it would be sweet to sit in my living room and blow some glass, no tanks, no electricity, just me and my alchohol fueled foot powered torch. Talk about low overhead! I don't think anyone here or possibly even alive today could touch the skill level of the
    Blashka's and their glass flowers, and these were made on a setup like this, using soft glass.

Softglass is the sh!t, its just alot harder to use and requires alot more finesse then boros. If Laushka tubing was available for cheap and not all scratched up in the US like it is in Germany, i'd use the hell out of it.

I took Carl Ittig's softglass lampwork class at Pilchuck in '99, and there's ALOT you can do with it. i really like the effects he gets with the pottery glazes. That guy has skills, and Hans is even better. Carl and Hans made a bunch of roundels with the center starting as a lampworked cup made of softglass. They then dropped a hot gather into the cup and spun the disc out in the hotshop. Really opened my eyes tyo what was possible with softglass and lampwroking/hotshop fusion work.

Probably the biggest advantage to Moretti and one that appeals to me more and more as I get older is the impact it has on your eyes. Boro's are harsh on your eyes, and even with the best glasses, you will probably feel the effects eventually. It may take 10 or 15 years, but the radiation will probably get too you. Soft glass has much less radiation and is much easier on your eyes. Eyes are important, I'd like mine too keep working.

Hire a teenager while they know everything!

Coal - it's fun to eat!!!!!!

[QUOTE][boro rules. every try to make a stemless bubbler out soft glass? case closed, thread closed. next.
    /QUOTE]

Classic. Setting the bar real high for personal growth yet again. Billy Morris made some real nice lookin pipes that sold for way more than I've seen a boro one sell for...

I really think that one should not be so closed minded that they argue about others personal choices. This discussion will never have closure since each one of us chooses what glass they like best. My hope is that some will be more respectful of others in their posts. I also hope that people won't just settle for a certain level of ability and will choose to make themselves better = personal growth.

Blog Entries

try not to mistake this for an enlightened debate......

Mermonkey

JANKYglass and bc, let me show you two what this "old" guy can do with soft glass and I challenge you to reproduce my work in soft glass too since you two think you are so good. Go on and try...ho,ho,ho!!!

I have only attempted Boro marbles for about 20 times so I KNOW I am not good at it and maybe you two are experts, I sure hope so!

Let me see your work if you will - come on now, show us!!!!!
    Last edited by richsantaclaus; 05-07-2008 at 08:16 PM.

ok, here are my poor attempts at Boro during my 20 tries - I KNOW a hord of you are much better than me (like JANKYglass and bc) but I am on a learning curve.

I bow to your two expertise with humbleness because my Boro work certainly is much less a quality as your fabulous work!!!!

Let me see your marbles - ok?
    Last edited by richsantaclaus; 05-07-2008 at 08:16 PM.

hey pretty sick for moretti
    but imho I really dont care for softglass, I like the qualities of it, as in color palette and whatnot, but its not for me, ive tried moretti and soft from a furnace, and even though the color palette is not as vast as those, I deffinately prefer boro over anything.
    Sweet marbles though

Thanks - I am trying to perfect several techniques that other soft glass marble makers have not tried as of yet... like putting bubbles where I want them, including copper to make scenes, stuff like that.

I respect others glass choices and LOVE to see their work. It's ALL good!!!!!

totally go with it, I dont think Ive ever seen any moretti marbles like yours before, Ive seen those techniques a million times in boro, but not moretti

must mean something

Also, because the Moretti only comes in small diameter, my marbles are only 1 to 1/4" in diameter! Most turn out 1" in diameter. Shocking is a major problem with the soft glass not to mention burning the crap out of it if one is not careful. There is no such thing as, "Turn up the oxy" in soft glass...lol!!!

Use some soft wire from the hardware store to stack 4 or 5 rods together, if you need thicker stock.

Heh heh heh. TWO WORDS:

SOFT GLASS

Quote Originally Posted by richsantaclaus View Post
    Also, because the Moretti only comes in small diameter, my marbles are only 1 to 1/4" in diameter! Most turn out 1" in diameter. Shocking is a major problem with the soft glass not to mention burning the crap out of it if one is not careful. There is no such thing as, "Turn up the oxy" in soft glass...lol!!!
    PS - Go to Frantz Art Glass They are the proud owners of one of the world's WORST websites BUT they do sell Effetre fats (13-14mm rod) in a good assortment of colors. Ask me 'cuz I use a LOT of 'em

Very nice of you both - thanks for the tips!!!

where did i ever say i was good?has anyone on this site ever heard me claim that i was good?nor do i remember commenting to the quality of anyone elses work.
    is someone having a hard time with there retirement?

No my retirement is going just spiffy: someone - ME - is having a problem with your attitude and rude comments about people that work in soft glass. You need to apologize.

Beyond that, I'd really like to see your work. Is there a link I can click on to do that?