The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Washington State Lampworkers

Default Washington State Lampworkers

My name is Jacob Lee and I am a lampworker living in Yakima, WA. The city of yakima is raising money and awareness for a glass school modeled after the Hilltop School in Tacoma that Dale Chihuly (sp?) started. The school is aimed toward teenage kids to give them something to do and keep them out of trouble. The school is supposed to open in September 2006 and will have a multiple station hotshop, lampworking stations, fusing/slumping, and coldworking equipment. This year at the Central Washington State Fair the school will have a booth in the Arts building and there will be room to set up torches for lampworking. I will be making vases, wine glasses, wine stoppers, and other stuff on Friday and Saturday nights both weekends. There are very few people in town who work with glass and the school is looking for more artists to come and represent the washington glass movement. So if anyone is interested the dates of the fair are September 23 - October 2 (I think). Everyone is bringing their own equipment since the school doesnt have any yet. I will have my kiln there on the weekends so I can make larger pieces, and I am trying to find a small kiln to leave there during the week. I will probably also leave my National hand torch down there so if people show up they can at least make small pieces. So if you are interested you can reply on this thread and I will get back to you and/or give you the contact info. We are having a meeting on Sept. 9 to figure out more of the details.

Here are links to some of my work. Thanks, Jacob

http://www.glasswinestopper.com/]My wine accessories website[/URL]

Glassartists gallery

Default Re: Washington State Lampworkers

i might be interested. send me some info. or call me 1-888-283-6719
    thanx. john "vine" vinson.

When Jared and Trevor return next week I'll see if they would go over and demo for at least one day, Jared made me a goblet with his hand holding the top as a demo last year for our Open House and people were impressed with the things these 2 did.
    SUNRAY
    The Shopkeeper

Hey Jacob drop me a line I might have time to get there & demo something.
    E

ya me too, i could demo something, hit me up in my inbox

Hey guys, thanks for the interest. I emailed you all through this site, if you dont get the email then you can email me at leejacob-at-charter.net. There is another thing I forgot to mention. Vehicles are only allowed on the fairgrounds before the fair opens for the day. I think the gates open at 10 am. So if you have kilns or other large equipment you may have to move it in early. We are trying to work out the use of a smaller maitainance cart so we can move things in and out during the day. Cool, get back to me if you have questions and I will try to answer them. Thanks, Jacob

We would like to donate some colored glass for this event. And John Kobuki or myself may be interested in doing a demo. Keep us posted on the details.
    Sabina

Glass Wine Stoppers , link from above is messed up but this is to his site .

Bump...Bump...Bump...Can you feel that bass????

Jacob. What a wonderful idea--I hope that you are able to sustain it. You are right about Yakima, it's a pretty desolate place for the poor and downtrodden. I know that Chihuly's school in Tacoma has made a huge difference in a lot of people's lives, people who wouldn't ordinarily get that kind of exposure to art. I can't offer any financial support but I would be interested in helping you with anything else, possibly doing demo if it's not too crowded. I was looking for an excuse to head over your way and do some camping in the canyon, hopefully it's not too cold by then. See you there. Rebecca

Hey Beck, come on over and demo. As far as I know there are one or two beadmakers and me doing demos, maybe just me. So there is plenty of time and space for more people to come and melt some glass, no matter what your skill level. There is a meeting this Friday and I will post more details after that. Cool, hope to see you there, Jacob