The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My eyes are loosing focus

Default My eyes are loosing focus

I have been blowing glass for 2.5 years with shade 3 lenses. I use a lot of color and fume. About 6 months ago I started to get flashed about 6 hours after being on the torch. So for the last month or so I have been using two pairs of shade 3 glasses on top of each other. I'm planning on buying shade 5 glasses real soon. Here recently I have been getting flashed after about 8 hours. It's never been really blurry jus a loss of sharp focus. And if I work all night then get back on the torch in the morning it happens sooner. Is this somewhat normal? Am I causing permanent damage? I sometimes look at the glass after I pull it out of the flame but it's still glowing. Is that too bright for my eyes. Of anyone can answer these questions that would be great thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 86turkish View Post
    I have been blowing glass for 2.5 years with shade 3 lenses. I use a lot of color and fume. About 6 months ago I started to get flashed about 6 hours after being on the torch. So for the last month or so I have been using two pairs of shade 3 glasses on top of each other. I'm planning on buying shade 5 glasses real soon. Here recently I have been getting flashed after about 8 hours. It's never been really blurry jus a loss of sharp focus. And if I work all night then get back on the torch in the morning it happens sooner. Is this somewhat normal? Am I causing permanent damage? I sometimes look at the glass after I pull it out of the flame but it's still glowing. Is that too bright for my eyes. Of anyone can answer these questions that would be great thanks.

I don't know what you mean when you say flashed but it is important to keep your eyes hydrated. The best way to do that is drink plenty of water second would be saline drops. I'm sorry I can't help more. I have been at this along time and where as shade 3 is fine for me and it might not be enough of someone else.

Default Re: My eyes are loosing focus

I think he means flashed like a arc flash from welding.
    If you have alot of side view ligjt , thats not getting filtered because its from the side, like other torches, or ypu not faceing the flame all the time will deff give the flash or blur. Drops help, mabe try goggles or side sheilds that are blackout.

By flashed I mean my focus gets a bit fuzzy. Like being out in the sunshine for a long time but no spots or anything like when u stare at the sun.

It sounds more like your describing eye strain and fatigue, not welder flash. Have you been giving your eyes a decent break? Its supposed to be like 20 mins every 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by 86turkish View Post
    Get your eyes examined by an eyecare professional, either a ophthalmologist (MD) or an optometrist (OD). You may have something going on other than a flash burn. You also may need prescription lenses.

I prolly am tiring my eyes out like u say. Bc especially in the summer I'm having to put all my work hours on Monday thru Wednesday before hitting the road. I will get my eyes checked out. Thank you guys for ur input.

This does sound like eye fatigue which prolly means you need glasses.

Flash burn btw feels like sand paper in your eyes. It's not pretty and you CAN get it by looking over your glasses at hot glowing glass. I'd try to kick that habit to the curb.

One pair of shade 3's is sufficient coverage if you aren't looking over and remembering to take safety breaks.
    ~Misha

It sounds like you should really save up the extra $$ to order a pair of split lens glasses. Get the Ace 202 and shade 5 splits. As long as your bench is lit, the shade 5 wont cause a prob and will provide ample protection when working those bright ass colors/fume. Aura lens or Phillips would b the best suppliers for them. maybe hold off until you get an eye exam tho, so you know if you need prescription lenses or not. Or do like I do and get a nice pair of fitovers, and stick with smaller framed prescription glasses.
    Best of luck
    "LIve to Love, lOve tO lIve"

I have similar issue where it seems like my eyes take a min to focus, maybe longer than they should. (I also look over glasses at glowing glass) ):
    I went to eye doctor and he said my eyes look great, near 20/20 vision, which is weird because I used to wear glasses in school. But I could read the smallest line of the chart with a little squinting to focus. I wear shade 5s almost always but do have some bad habits of looking over the top of them, a tight strap helps to keep them up to where you can't look over the top of the lenses as much.

(A good detox will clear up your vision also, many regulars don't notice but it really does mess with your vision quite a bit.)
    @B.RY_glass

well you know how peoples' prescriptions change over time, maybe your eyes went the other way, and improved over time naturally.
    you will shank me later

Quote Originally Posted by FifDeez View Post
    I like the idea of burning water. Sounds mystical even tho I understand it completely.

Semi relevant to this thread..

My eyes were giving me trouble and that's how I found out I have Diabetes.

You may want to see a doctor too.