The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Quick Inside out Tubing question

Default Quick Inside out Tubing question

I am getting more into inside out work and am loving it. I started with a 44mm medium wall tube and put together a few spoons and a couple bubblers from it. Is it worth getting 50mm or 55mm or should i stick with 44.

Thanks for your input.

Default Re: Quick Inside out Tubing question

i would stick with the 44 but go heavy wall
    Bringing more firearms than a school of burning squids

http://glasspipes.org/heinousglass

why heavy wall over standard. i am having some minor issues with cracking, will that get worse if i use heavy wall?

Also i am not getting as vibrant of colors with i make stringers, any color combinations you would reccomend?

Blog Entries

standard wall is more likely to crack because it cools faster but it's not really a problem if you remember to keep the whole thing warm while you apply your art to the inside. heavier wall cools more slowly so it's more forgiving.

standard wall sucks the art farther up into the wall which looks pretty dank but heavier wall is a faster way to make super heavy or larger pieces. if you use std wall you might go up to 50. if you use heavier tubing you're probably going to be blowing it out a little before you apply your art so 38 or 44 are fine.
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

i actually prefer xtra hvy wall myself but it is quite a bit slower to work. heavier walled tubing just gives me a chunkier product which shops really like, i know some will dissagree with this but its what works best for me.

as far as colors just play around with all of them and you will find stuff you like. i will say though that rasta gold and crayon orange pulled into a twisty is pretty f'n vibrant.

thanks for the info guys. i usually let each of the "cups" sit in the kiln for about 10 or 15 min to get a nice even temp through out. The cracking usually occurs while right after i get done fuming it. When go to condense it and put on the blow tube. I will order some heavy wall and super heavy wall in my next order and see which i like best.

Thanks Again.

use the 44 and go heavy. Just remember to build up your heat base in between adding color. 44 is just lovely.
    Quote Originally Posted by AVC-Ed View Post
    We are shipping orders in 1-2 days, there have been no reported problems of anything

"Shaping the connection between Art and Agricullture"
    www.Locallygrownart.com
    www.carolinabiofuels.org

use colors with less silver the thicker the glass its hard to claer the color and strike when its deep. after laying all the stringers get it real hot so the color starts to move some then cool down and fume. gotta get the heat all the way through

what kind of torch are you using? after you take it out of the kiln but before you fume it you can get the glass almost molten with the outter flame and it'll stay hot longer then glass that's just kiln temp. you can also do this inbetween steps to keep unmelted-in artwork from causing cracks.

i'll chime in for what it's worth-

i used to do lots of inside out stuff when i made pipes (only been about a year off them so it's still relevant). i've stocked every size of tubing in my shop i can hold in my hands, but i find that 38 hvy is pound for pound the best size for inside out (assuming you're going on the big side- like making bubbler cans)

imho:

the point handles pull best, and don't break much
    melting the flares back down is faster ( i time everything btw)
    i get better Huge flares than i do with 44 or 50 or 58, or at least the end product turns out better.

i used to use the larger sizes more. now i just use a larger point of 38.
    a 3" point of 38hvy is = to about 2.25" of 44hvy by the way

i agree with 38 for sure. i use 38 extra hvy simax and it is by far the most versitile tubing for me. i use it on almost all of my spoons. i do step up to bigger tubing for bubbler cans tho usually 44 sometimes 50 extra hvy.

wow i GUESS NEXT TIEM ILL GET SOME 38 but I jstu got a case of 50x2.5 and its been workin great, he main thing i can tell is that it is so much eaiser and melts down evenly compared to a blown out 26x4, my cups were never even and thats the main reason that this 50 is workin so good for me, it has an even wall throughout so it all melts down even, bein noob thats bout all i can tel but, it saves me time by not havin to blow out a cup, its already cup sized and it also is even so it melts in way smoothere than my wonky blown out cups, other than that i have no idea..

oh ya the 50 is definatley hard to to pull points on i cant really do it, and it is big in teh hand and hard to spin but once its on a punty its butter..

44 med wall. I tried all the rest, love 44 med wall the best. pull points add some flair

I LOVE IT.

~joe

Why does anyone assume Cravyn knows anything? Brush your skullet boy.

cause i'm way cooler than you

38 heavy here. use 44 medium for some things and also use 25.4, and 50 mill.
    random naked girl in bed: " hey glenn i have a question for you, what do you do or a living?" glenn: " well ive got a question for you, what are you still doing here?" giggety giggety

Brian Burge