The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 71 of 87 FirstFirst ... 21 61 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1738

Thread: Rollcall - introduce yourself!

Default Re: Rollcall

heyas =)

name's jeff, central wisconsin, studied glass & metal sculpture at uwsp, graduating BFA in december and glad to be almost done.

i'm a metalworker, metal turner, general sculptor of things. i've been lampworking for 2 years now, torchworking for a living for a couple of months.

nice to meet you all, (some of you i might have met already, hah..)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cup.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	66626

Default Re: Rollcall - introduce yourself!

Hmmm, a little bit about myself. OK. I like to write. There is your first tidbit. ;-D

I was born in California but only lived there briefly before moving to Ohio for a year, and then to Phoenix, Arizona where I was raised and around 99.999% of my childhood and early adulthood memories are from. I have no memory of California, and only flashes of Ohio.

In Phoenix, I was the middle child of 5, and had a not too shocking of a childhood. Nothing too horrible, but not perfect. My parents did their best, though money was always tight. From the earliest age I can remember my father having us helping him with his work as a low voltage communications technician. My parents got divorced just before my teen years, and I lived with my mother by choice.

I didn't do so well in high school. Got a lot of F's, and dropped out completely eventually, got my GED, and sought out work. I did do one thing exceptionally well though, music. I played guitar and bass back then, and I did so very well. Knowing that music wasn't going to pay any bills though, a fact that was hard to learn for me seeing as how I was on the verge of production with a famous person at one point, I worked anywhere I could, mostly in various restaurants as a cook. Music was my true dream back then. Glass was hardly even a thing. Most people were still smoking out of metal pipes and acrylic water pipes.

I was used to working, and though I loved learning new things, I hated the schools approach, so dropping out and finding work just seemed natural. Ever since I was a young boy my father had us kids helping him pull wire, do installs, and TV modifications for his job. My first outside of the family job was as a brick layers helper. A job that didn't even last a week, ending in an accident with me, my buddy who got me the job and who was driving, a ladies car being totaled, and 2 pallets of bricks all over a busy intersection. We saved the bosses truck at least, no damage to it. My first job that I got for myself, not through a buddy, was Dairy Queen. Over my teen and early 20's years I worked in all manners of floor covering, as a door to door vacuum cleaner salesman, the aforementioned various restaurants, where I learned to toss a mean pizza crust at a fancy pizza place that did pizza tossing as a performance art, that was a lot of fun, I met a lot of very interesting people in my travels around the Phoenix restaurant scene but I digress, back to the list; the aforementioned TV install jobs and other work my father had me doing, and my favorite, the Renaissance Festival, where I worked with the Elephants and Camels, and in games, rides, and entertainment. Boy do those people know how to party, let me tell you. Some of my favorite stories come straight from the Ren Fair. I used to enjoy watching the Phoenix Ren Fair glassblowers make their dragons and what not on my breaks from selling arrows and being a push monkey and a human target, way back when, long before I even knew glassblowing would end up being my long term career.

It was always music, music was my love. At the end of 1999, I took a greyhound bus from Phoenix to Florida to catch the 1999/2000 3 day New Years Phish festival. What a great time. I did a lot of road tripping back then but that was the road trip to end all road trips. In about a week and a half of my life I ended up with most of my favorite stories. It was there that I bought my first glass pipe. A really heady 4 part welded inside out with reversals, and marbles, the works. I was happy to pay $80 for it. Little did I know that it would eventually become my target piece. That piece that once I was able to imitate, I'd feel like a good glassblower.

When I returned to Phoenix, I decided the time for goofing off was over, and that it was time to start going to college, and trying to build myself a longer term life plan, and that's just what I did. By that time, I played several instruments, so I decided to try to become a music professor at a college somewhere with minors in psychology. A couple of months into the year 2000, I met a girl who worked at chameleon glass however. Her second job was a restaurant I worked at to pay my way through college. I eventually ended up doing the same with college as I had done with high school, hating it and dropping out, but this time, it was because I'd learned from this girl how to blow glass, and was starting a career in a less flooded market than music. Glassblowing seemed a quicker path to higher paying work, with less competition and less starting debt, especially back then when there weren't so many glass blowers, and the online sales of pipes wasn't so scary. Pre-Operation Pipe Dreams.

After that happened, Operation Pipe Dreams, which really didn't effect me much, I guess I hadn't had enough of being screwed with by the government, so I moved to Florida, where Jeb Bush was governor. I made good money there, but it had been one year of living there when old Jeb Bush decided to do a copycat version of his brothers Operation Pipe Dreams called Operation Pipe Works, where he had customs and immigration seize all of the head shops pieces on the notion that you're not supposed to import this stuff, and they couldn't tell the imports from the local stuff, so they just took it all. It was early one morning when the lady from Ellusions called me to warn me of the raids, bless her heart for that. Since all of my customers were effectively going to be closed for quite a while about a week later I moved to Colorado. My lease happened to be up anyways, and I had family here.

It was nice here, nobody was out to get the pipe guys. Glasscraft was here, which was cool because I didn't have to pay for shipping any more, and even cooler still because at that time the son of the people who owned the glassblowing stand in the Ren Fair in Phoenix worked the counter, and his parents were like celebrities to me. He was a way cool dude himself, though he no longer works there.

Now, now I have three kids, a son and two daughters. I'm divorced myself and have split custody of my kids with my ex. I am with a wonderful girl now, an astro-physicist working in the MJ trimming industry, who has learned a bit of the lamp working from yours truly as well. Glassblowing is my only job. I sell here and there locally, and I have an Etsy shop online, and I also give lessons. I still play music. Guitar, bass, banjo, harmonica, hand drums, keyboard, accordion, pseudo sax, and I sing, but that's just an old hobby now, my days of playing in bands and getting record deals are over. I have been a glassblower for the last 14 years, and it has never let me down this far.

I hope to have both something to offer and something to gain from this community. Hello all.

Quote Originally Posted by the-thought-police View Post
    Hmmm, a little bit about myself. OK. I like to write. There is your first tidbit. ;-D

I was born in California but only lived there briefly before moving to Ohio for a year, and then to Phoenix, Arizona where I was raised and around 99.999% of my childhood and early adulthood memories are from. I have no memory of California, and only flashes of Ohio.

In Phoenix, I was the middle child of 5, and had a not too shocking of a childhood. Nothing too horrible, but not perfect. My parents did their best, though money was always tight. From the earliest age I can remember my father having us helping him with his work as a low voltage communications technician. My parents got divorced just before my teen years, and I lived with my mother by choice.

I didn't do so well in high school. Got a lot of F's, and dropped out completely eventually, got my GED, and sought out work. I did do one thing exceptionally well though, music. I played guitar and bass back then, and I did so very well. Knowing that music wasn't going to pay any bills though, a fact that was hard to learn for me seeing as how I was on the verge of production with a famous person at one point, I worked anywhere I could, mostly in various restaurants as a cook. Music was my true dream back then. Glass was hardly even a thing. Most people were still smoking out of metal pipes and acrylic water pipes.

I was used to working, and though I loved learning new things, I hated the schools approach, so dropping out and finding work just seemed natural. Ever since I was a young boy my father had us kids helping him pull wire, do installs, and TV modifications for his job. My first outside of the family job was as a brick layers helper. A job that didn't even last a week, ending in an accident with me, my buddy who got me the job and who was driving, a ladies car being totaled, and 2 pallets of bricks all over a busy intersection. We saved the bosses truck at least, no damage to it. My first job that I got for myself, not through a buddy, was Dairy Queen. Over my teen and early 20's years I worked in all manners of floor covering, as a door to door vacuum cleaner salesman, the aforementioned various restaurants, where I learned to toss a mean pizza crust at a fancy pizza place that did pizza tossing as a performance art, that was a lot of fun, I met a lot of very interesting people in my travels around the Phoenix restaurant scene but I digress, back to the list; the aforementioned TV install jobs and other work my father had me doing, and my favorite, the Renaissance Festival, where I worked with the Elephants and Camels, and in games, rides, and entertainment. Boy do those people know how to party, let me tell you. Some of my favorite stories come straight from the Ren Fair. I used to enjoy watching the Phoenix Ren Fair glassblowers make their dragons and what not on my breaks from selling arrows and being a push monkey and a human target, way back when, long before I even knew glassblowing would end up being my long term career.

It was always music, music was my love. At the end of 1999, I took a greyhound bus from Phoenix to Florida to catch the 1999/2000 3 day New Years Phish festival. What a great time. I did a lot of road tripping back then but that was the road trip to end all road trips. In about a week and a half of my life I ended up with most of my favorite stories. It was there that I bought my first glass pipe. A really heady 4 part welded inside out with reversals, and marbles, the works. I was happy to pay $80 for it. Little did I know that it would eventually become my target piece. That piece that once I was able to imitate, I'd feel like a good glassblower.

When I returned to Phoenix, I decided the time for goofing off was over, and that it was time to start going to college, and trying to build myself a longer term life plan, and that's just what I did. By that time, I played several instruments, so I decided to try to become a music professor at a college somewhere with minors in psychology. A couple of months into the year 2000, I met a girl who worked at chameleon glass however. Her second job was a restaurant I worked at to pay my way through college. I eventually ended up doing the same with college as I had done with high school, hating it and dropping out, but this time, it was because I'd learned from this girl how to blow glass, and was starting a career in a less flooded market than music. Glassblowing seemed a quicker path to higher paying work, with less competition and less starting debt, especially back then when there weren't so many glass blowers, and the online sales of pipes wasn't so scary. Pre-Operation Pipe Dreams.

After that happened, Operation Pipe Dreams, which really didn't effect me much, I guess I hadn't had enough of being screwed with by the government, so I moved to Florida, where Jeb Bush was governor. I made good money there, but it had been one year of living there when old Jeb Bush decided to do a copycat version of his brothers Operation Pipe Dreams called Operation Pipe Works, where he had customs and immigration seize all of the head shops pieces on the notion that you're not supposed to import this stuff, and they couldn't tell the imports from the local stuff, so they just took it all. It was early one morning when the lady from Ellusions called me to warn me of the raids, bless her heart for that. Since all of my customers were effectively going to be closed for quite a while about a week later I moved to Colorado. My lease happened to be up anyways, and I had family here.

It was nice here, nobody was out to get the pipe guys. Glasscraft was here, which was cool because I didn't have to pay for shipping any more, and even cooler still because at that time the son of the people who owned the glassblowing stand in the Ren Fair in Phoenix worked the counter, and his parents were like celebrities to me. He was a way cool dude himself, though he no longer works there.

Now, now I have three kids, a son and two daughters. I'm divorced myself and have split custody of my kids with my ex. I am with a wonderful girl now, an astro-physicist working in the MJ trimming industry, who has learned a bit of the lamp working from yours truly as well. Glassblowing is my only job. I sell here and there locally, and I have an Etsy shop online, and I also give lessons. I still play music. Guitar, bass, banjo, harmonica, hand drums, keyboard, accordion, pseudo sax, and I sing, but that's just an old hobby now, my days of playing in bands and getting record deals are over. I have been a glassblower for the last 14 years, and it has never let me down this far.

I hope to have both something to offer and something to gain from this community. Hello all.
    That was quite a delight to read; your writing is very compelling and well organized! You seem like you've had some rad experiences and lots of experience from just about everywhere. It was a pleasure reading your introduction, and welcome to the forum!

I second what Little Pixie said. Welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing your work and reading more of your posts.
    ~Misha

I did the ren fair circuit also around the same time I traveled all over with the fair it was a blast a party every day/night did it for many years. Still have many friends still doing it it's not a bad living actually once you get in with some good company's. In Phoenix I always worked for Fairytale Finery I wonder if we've met before? And at every fair I would just try and hang out at the glass blowers booth. Anyway welcome

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

nice to meet ya yeef! i read your post and responded even though the "guy underneath you" (giggle) has a "much bigger post" (snicker) nice ta have ya on board!
    and a hardy welcome to the guy with the "large post" as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by itssteve View Post
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

Jimi it's not all about the size!
    ~Misha

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

Quote Originally Posted by PyroChixRock View Post
    Jimi it's not all about the size!
    Well, it's mostly about the size..
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

Pyro's post is bigger than urs jimi and now so is mine

Yeah, well, I live in Rhode Island and its kinda cold here right now. Late July my posts are fucking gargantuan!

Hey everyone I am a 31 year old mechanical engineer in Minneapolis, MN. I have just about had enough of reading and writing hundreds of emails of day and getting caught up in corporate red tape, sales meetings, business dinners, blah blah blah. I have been an engineer for 8 years and honestly have struggled every day since day 1 to keep doing it. I've been very successful but not at all happy with this path I have taken in life. I plan on at least another 6 months to 1 year of practice before I consider quitting engineering but for the right apprenticeship I would certainly move that timeline up.

I have been on the torch for a few months but I dedicate every spare minute I have to learning and practice. I would love to quit engineering and lampwork full time, I would be interested in relocating for an apprenticeship anywhere in the united states. I am currently mostly self taught but I have had a few private lessons locally here and plan to continue with the lessons as much as possible. I've searched but have not found anyone else in Minneapolis who would be willing to meet up and maybe do some work together. The biggest name that I know if in Minneapolis is 4.0 glass but I would not imagine that they would have the time to mess around with a noob like me.

Cheers!

Adam aka Gearhead Glass
    Last edited by AdamTaranGlass; 10-27-2014 at 10:41 AM.
    On the torch since August 2014. Looking to network and collab with local artists (Englewood, CO).

www.instagram.com/adamtaranglass

Welcome, Adam. There are quite a few of us out in MSP. Check out the "people connection" room, maybe there's a thread started for that area already. If not, start one.

Good luck in your glassy adventures.
    ~Misha

Hi all, name is David, just getting set up here on TMP. I live in Indiana where, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes it'll change! I was a land surveyor for 15 years. I joined my two brothers, a little over 10 years ago, and together we formed South Central Cryogenics, I trained there to become a medical equipment repair specialist. When we learned our concentrators could run a torch, the medical equipment repair all but disappeared. South Central Cryogenics was among the first to introduce oxygen concentrators to the glass blowing world (arguably, and the feedback is pouring in!) Started a subsidiary DBA Unlimited Oxygen (oxygen to burn) We thought we could break the curse of, "family can't work together" but just 3 short years later sure enough, family can't work together! The break up created Unlimited Oxygen and Extreme Oxygen. I worked for both over the next 6 years, learning how and how not to run a business. I took the good things I learned, left the bad and ugly behind. Available Oxygen is born, dedicated to serving the glass artist community, committed to quality and customer service. AKA THE CONCENTRATOR NINJA

Well I am sam, Live out in the sticks (or BFN if you prefer ) near Lansing MI. Haven't worked glass before but am hoping to be doing it soon. I hope to pick your brains until I can get behind the torch myself.

Welcome sam! Finnaly another fellow lower michigan glass worker or future glass worker

Quote Originally Posted by Gearheadglass View Post
    Hey everyone I am a 31 year old mechanical engineer in Minneapolis, MN. I have just about had enough of reading and writing hundreds of emails of day and getting caught up in corporate red tape, sales meetings, business dinners, blah blah blah. I have been an engineer for 8 years and honestly have struggled every day since day 1 to keep doing it. I've been very successful but not at all happy with this path I have taken in life. I plan on at least another 6 months to 1 year of practice before I consider quitting engineering but for the right apprenticeship I would certainly move that timeline up.

I have been on the torch for a few months but I dedicate every spare minute I have to learning and practice. I would love to quit engineering and lampwork full time, I would be interested in relocating for an apprenticeship anywhere in the united states. I am currently mostly self taught but I have had a few private lessons locally here and plan to continue with the lessons as much as possible. I've searched but have not found anyone else in Minneapolis who would be willing to meet up and maybe do some work together. The biggest name that I know if in Minneapolis is 4.0 glass but I would not imagine that they would have the time to mess around with a noob like me.

Cheers!

Adam aka Gearhead Glass
    Welcome. I've been kicking it here for a couple of weeks now, and it's just filled with good information and helpful tips and when you get bored with that, there's plenty of entertaining threads as well.

I totally understand where you're coming from. My girlfriend at one point in her life, drew up the design for and was getting some 5 million in funding to build a cyclotron for a college she was attending. She was the only undergrad to present at the International Physics Conference that year. She was at the top of her game, in freaking astro-physics, which is like the top of the science game as far as sheer difficulty to learn, in my opinion. Sounds awesome right, but it made her miserable. She dropped out shortly thereafter, and started actually having major anxiety problems and just hating the system in general. It was in part due to the fact that there are starving people, this college was built on land that the Natives protested it being on because it was sacred to them, and she was getting 5 million dollars just given to her to build the equivalent of a classic car in the world of particle accelerators. She works as a trimmer in the legal marijuana industry here in Colorado now, and blows glass on occasion with me.

Good luck, but don't expect to make a ton of money or anything. I stress bills mostly. You may hate your work, but have you ever really stressed those bills? The change over very well may bring new meaning to those words for you. Stressing the bills.
    Number 1 in all of your glass chainsaw pipe manufacturing needs.

Quote Originally Posted by AVAILABLE/OXYGEN View Post
    Hi all, name is David, just getting set up here on TMP. I live in Indiana where, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes it'll change! I was a land surveyor for 15 years. I joined my two brothers, a little over 10 years ago, and together we formed South Central Cryogenics, I trained there to become a medical equipment repair specialist. When we learned our concentrators could run a torch, the medical equipment repair all but disappeared. South Central Cryogenics was among the first to introduce oxygen concentrators to the glass blowing world (arguably, and the feedback is pouring in!) Started a subsidiary DBA Unlimited Oxygen (oxygen to burn) We thought we could break the curse of, "family can't work together" but just 3 short years later sure enough, family can't work together! The break up created Unlimited Oxygen and Extreme Oxygen. I worked for both over the next 6 years, learning how and how not to run a business. I took the good things I learned, left the bad and ugly behind. Available Oxygen is born, dedicated to serving the glass artist community, committed to quality and customer service. AKA THE CONCENTRATOR NINJA
    I'm sorry, it sounds like it was all very dramatic to go through, but your story makes me chuckle. You guys are like the Fleetwood Mac of the oxygen generator world. I tried a partnership once.

Once.

On another note, you guys stole your weather line from Colorado. Give it back! ;-)
    Number 1 in all of your glass chainsaw pipe manufacturing needs.

Quote Originally Posted by the-thought-police View Post
    Welcome. I've been kicking it here for a couple of weeks now, and it's just filled with good information and helpful tips and when you get bored with that, there's plenty of entertaining threads as well.

I totally understand where you're coming from. My girlfriend at one point in her life, drew up the design for and was getting some 5 million in funding to build a cyclotron for a college she was attending. She was the only undergrad to present at the International Physics Conference that year. She was at the top of her game, in freaking astro-physics, which is like the top of the science game as far as sheer difficulty to learn, in my opinion. Sounds awesome right, but it made her miserable. She dropped out shortly thereafter, and started actually having major anxiety problems and just hating the system in general. It was in part due to the fact that there are starving people, this college was built on land that the Natives protested it being on because it was sacred to them, and she was getting 5 million dollars just given to her to build the equivalent of a classic car in the world of particle accelerators. She works as a trimmer in the legal marijuana industry here in Colorado now, and blows glass on occasion with me.

Good luck, but don't expect to make a ton of money or anything. I stress bills mostly. You may hate your work, but have you ever really stressed those bills? The change over very well may bring new meaning to those words for you. Stressing the bills.
    that is one thing that I am grateful for right now...I used to be a sales rep for commercial hvac equipment and in 2009 I made nearly 200k but I quit because I wanted to hang myself every day from the stress, now I make way less than half of that amount and I am still not happy. I know that I will have to change my lifestyle if I ever get lucky enough to do glass full time and I am okay with that. I grew up in a lower middle class household and we never had any extra money and I was pretty poor for the first 25 years of my life but always happy so I am not too hung up on material things anymore.

If you ever need someone to come out to Colorado and help trim and blow glass hit me up!!

-Adam
    On the torch since August 2014. Looking to network and collab with local artists (Englewood, CO).

www.instagram.com/adamtaranglass

Quote Originally Posted by hawkglass View Post
    Welcome sam! Finnaly another fellow lower michigan glass worker or future glass worker
    Lol thanks man. And I know. Nobody is left in Michigan anymore lmao. I almost never see another person from Michigan on forums haha. So it is pretty sweet to see some Michiganders around