The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 85 of 87 FirstFirst ... 35 75 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1738

Thread: Rollcall - introduce yourself!

Default Re: Rollcall - introduce yourself!

Thank you! And it definitely seems like that'll be the case!

Hello,

My name is Connor, I cook most of the week. On Saturdays I travel an hour north to spend time on a torch for most of the day. I've been doing this for the past two months and am certainly hooked. First contact with glass was last summer at CMOG where I did a flameworking demo. I reside in Indianapolis, IN. Hope to meet some fellow Hoosiers here, if not, hope to learn a thing or two.

Thanks

Benji aka Elab_glass on the torch since June 2016

Hi complete noob!! But 22 live in central coast CA I am literally just starting out and shopping around mainly looking into starting out with pendants and moving on to pipes or straight tube rigs whenever I have the skill to do so! Thanks and feel free to send any suggestions my way!!

Hey jb and eve here. New to the forum, and we are glad to be here. We hope to learn some and share some. We are married and work together as a team. Super to meet you all

It's been awhile , wot up MP ?!?😎
    @B.RY_glass

Hi folks just learning to run this thing! trying to communicate with hot glass blowers, I can see it's a little more about the torch than the furnace here but would be psyched to connect.
    I've begun a full renovation of my garage to turn it into a hot shop! I believe molten glass is more precious than gold and a lot harder to find!!

Looking for someone to create glass pendants with my sons ashes in them for me and my daughters and granddaughter. Any recommendations?

Misha a.k.a pyrochicksrock,

I could do it, but I would still recomed her from sheer experience.

Pyrochixrock. (sp)

Default Re: Rollcall

Hi All,

I'm Michael and I am inspired by the community, so opted to join in sharing a few of my heat and reading others.
    Michael

welcome
    ~Misha

Blew glass for the first time in front of a big crowd it was crazy!

Saying hi from South Boston
    And Diablo glass school!!

Names Jim...no AKA...just Jim. Joined April of 2016 and have been lurking ever since. Took a class last spring but don't have any equipment or a studio to work in so I would have to use my open patio and a HH/vermiculite...not ideal. I guess I will just continue to lurk for a while and see what happens. Lots of good info here.

Hello, I'm Kathy, I'm a slow convert over from soft glass. I'm self-employed making murrini for glass fusers out of bullseye90, but nothing as fancy as the boro milli's I see on insta! I'm nudging into boro because I want to make baubles for friends and family for christmas. My aim is one day to make myself some whisky glasses. I'm based in Scotland, UK =)
    I used to love the soft glass forums but they've kind of died off because of the facebook groups - It's great to see a forum still active! I've learned so much already =)

Do you just do the fused logs or do you do torchwork too? I'm thinking you must pull them down somehow. I have a huge amount of 90coe clear rod and I've never acquired any bullseye rods to melt with it. It plays nice with bullseye plate and the fusers pulled me some vitrigraph rods that were fun to play with, compatible with 90 dichro too. I can't bring myself to mail-order another glass system, and I've never met a bullseye lampworker or been in a shop that had bullseye rods IRL. It was labelled as boro when I bought it, and I never cared about soft glass. Now I'm working in a hotshop and I'm surround by 96 and 104 all day, still havent found anyone that flameworks 90coe, or at least not anyone that wants to make a lopsided trade.

I really wish my soft glass stash was 96. When I pull clear cane in the hotshop I have to keep my laser-straight sections for punties, most of it's not totally straight like this old factory 90 rod is.

Welcome! I think we have another awesome bullseye fused murrine maker on here, I've wanted one of her NES sprite coins for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by BurntHands View Post
    Do you just do the fused logs or do you do torchwork too? I'm thinking you must pull them down somehow
    Yeah I do the whole lot on the torch and pull in one go; I don't actually fuse - that's for my customers! I used to, but melting things with fire is way more fun. I design the murrine with the distortion when fused flat in mind - the chips will ball up and then sink in, so mostly the outside of the chip is what's visible when fused on top of flat pieces. So; there's no point me faffing about with complex internal designs because when they're full fused as surface decoration they distort quite a bit and end up lookin kinda pants unless they're chopped super thin.

Bullseye in the flame isn't brilliant - it's very unsaturated in colour to get the crazy levels of compatibility in fusing so complex designs aren't very easy, and can end up looking like smush because the colours wash out when pulled thin. I actually use the sheet in the torch, cut into strips - the bullseye rods are awful - basically twice the price, and the opals just shock and explode all over the place. The sheet is more carefully annealed, so I use that with long-nosed parallel pliers instead. I've used some 'coe90' clear and it's so different in viscosity (it's schott I think) that I can't really use it for canes but sometimes make icicles out of it at christmas. I use 96 and 104 too; but I'm lazy and hate pulling thick stringers so I don't do more of it. Bullseye pre-made 2mm stringers are my saviour! =)

Thanks for the bullseye working tips and warnings. That was about all I ever used this soft glass for was icicles and some wasted clear sculpture since the timings so different, it was in with a truckload of boro. its been sitting for years.
    I googled R6 this morning, and found some new to me firsthand info posted by our resident Glass guru Brad S - apparently it's a 93 coe, and it's compatible with 90 coe and some german 96 color bar. I was sick in bed with a bad bronchial cough/cold all weekend, and that got me out into the shedio to try some 96 uroboros with it and everything worked. 1" marble lived after cooling in vermiculite not annealing, the stringer test curved slightly to the color side but no major curl. I went down to the hotshop, sick or not, and it seemed to play nice with every 96 color I tried: kugler, gaffer, zimmermann, reichenbach. Ive never been so excited to play on a Nortel minor. I'll see how everything looks when it comes out of the oven tomorrow. This opens so many doors, it torches so much nicer than the system 96 furnace glass, and the rods are perfectly straight not hand pulled. Faster and easier to shape than boro marbles on a smaller flame. I was convinced it was 90 because it worked with bullseye plate and 90 uroburos dichro, but it seems to work with 96 stuff too. I'm going to try 96 dichro and/or gethering out of the furnace onto a glass rod tomorrow if I get a chance.
    You said you're a slow convert from soft glass, I'm going the other direction. Excited about soft glass now anyway, and yesterday I didn't care about this R6 stuff, now I can use it! I don't know how the viscosity compares to schott or bullseye but if you want to try some I could throw a few rods into a padded envelope and see if shipping to scotland is within my means for charity. I dont have a paypal acct anymore.

My name is Jedidiah and I have been on the torch for about a year. I have been learning from Russel at Rusty Glass and most make Boro functional art.

Yoooo everyone! Im Kenyon, or Kato, or borokato. Whichever you like Been away for a while but plan on making more of an appearance! Been out hitting that interweb glass selling grind and I am hoping to share more of what I have learned on the side of the industry that is less on the torch and more on the phone. As well as the general glass discussion! In the process of moving out of my current shop and am going to be building my own home studio again here in the next couple weeks. So expect documentation on that as well
    ~trapped! in the phantom zone~
    Progression Thread
    http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31775&highlight=Kato's

@borokato