The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 36 76 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 1738

Thread: Rollcall - introduce yourself!

Default Re: Rollcall - introduce yourself!

Hey Jed. Welcome to the forum.

Hi, welcome!
    ~Misha

Hey everyone just realized I never posted here when I joined. My name is Trevor I work and live in Appleton, WI and have been playing wth fire for about two years. My studio is Forever Grateful Glassworks L.L.C. which is in my garage and two other people rent from me. Long story about how i got into lampworking as short as possible. I've always been interested in lampworking however I was always made to believe that you had to have a commercial place for a studio and there are no actual stand alone studios within 2 hours of my house. So I became a printer 4 or 5 years later I suffered a severe back injury on the job ending my printing career and was told I'll never work again and I'll be lucky if I'm not in a wheel chair within a year. So for the next 8 years work comp. tried to screw me over (like they always do) before finally settling my case. Right before my settlement a friend was telling me how he was looking for a studio space to rent. I said hell I'd build one in my garage if I could. That's when my life changed and he said well why can't you and dropped the bombshell that everything I was told was a lie and with the right ventilation I could build my own studio. Now I'm 10 years post injury still walking without assistance and melting up to 40 hours a week when my back allows! Not only do I love lampworking it helps me deal/cope with my chronic pain. I look forward to meeting more of you learning and sharing what I can.

Last edited by poopers; 10-15-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Hi everyone!

Haven't posted a formal introduction of myself, so now's as good time as any! Prepare for a wall of text!

My name is Fai, and I am a glassworking enthusiast from Dubai (yes, that Dubai!). I graduated from a Canadian university with the equivalent of three degrees: Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Mathematics. Currenty, I work as a Process Engineer for a gas plant here in the UAE.

I got my first exposure to glassworking while on a vacation to the US. I took a little lampworking taster session, just for the fun of it. Turned out I was really passionate about glass. I have and have had many hobbies, including close-up magic, photography, video games, computer virus removal, programming, teaching, model-railroading, piano-playing, writing my own music, you name it.

But glassworking was different. It captured my interest in a way that nothing has before and I'm sure that a lot of you have similar experiences. I found it calming and relaxing. It's a feeling I get when I watch glass melt that I cannot explain. Here's the first marble I ever made. It's only about 1.5cm in diameter (a little over 0.5"). Mishapen, full of problems. But it was the first, and I still have it with me as a reminder of where I started.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyMarble.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	91629

I recently went to the UK to spend a week with a British artist so I could build up a little more confidence in front of the torch. Now, I am in the process of setting up my own studio at my house. It is taking a while, as finding local vendors for glass and general equipment is quite difficult. Additionally, shipping the glassworking gear like the torch (I've settled on a Bethlehem Champion) is quite expensive, and I'm trying to not break the bank. My intent is to be able to make marbles. Maybe a few pendants, but marbles are what I'd like to be known for.

As with any community I've joined in the past, I would like to contribute too. In the past, I've contributed software, experience and expertise to the communities I've joined. While I hope that someday, I'll be able to share my experience here too, as of now, I'll focus with what I do have - a (relatively) strong grasp of chemistry, physics and mathematics. What I'd like to do is combine my scientific background with this art, and hopefully move it forward.

I hope to eventually find my place in this wonderful community. And I hope that you, as a community, share your knowledge and experience with me as well. Additionally, if there's anything you'd like to see from me, anything that you think might be beneficial for the glassworking community, or need help with in my area of expertise, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to offer whatever knowledge I do have.

I do have a website which you can go to by clicking the link in my signature. It's just a place for me to put up photos of my (non-glass-related) collection, photography and post to my blog.

Thank you
    Last edited by aommaster; 11-20-2017 at 11:32 PM. Reason: A word

Hey guys, names Brian. I've been doing art for over 10 years , just starting with my glass journey. I own a personal fitness studio by day. Living in Georgia currently with 4 dogs n my old lady. I love this forum. Really great threads. Thanks for sharing your community. Cheers!!

Hello!
    My name is Joel and I live in Paden City, WV (SE Ohio Valley).
    My family owns and operates Marv’s Place Restaurant across the river in Sardis, Ohio.

I’ve been interested in Lampworking for sometime, but never really had the time to get started. Well, we just recently resigned from being Mayor due to health issues, so I now have the time and I feel this is something I can do, even with my back issues.

So far I have found this forum to be full of great information and knowledge.

I want to find someone close by who would be willing to show me the ropes before I purchase my own equipment.

Cheers!

hi Joel, I'm in Cincinnati if you are close.
    @B.RY_glass

Hi guys
    ~Misha

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rye-oNeR View Post
    hi Joel, I'm in Cincinnati if you are close.
    Cinci is about 4 hours away. I may be up for a road trip after the holidays!

Howdy Everyone,

My name is Gregg and I'm not spam
    I joined this site to get some info about building a flame working station for my Wife as a Christmas Gift (she knows)

I mostly a car guy from the Midwest, Thanks for having me.

Default Re: Rollcall

Hey my names Kerry and im 30. people know me as squanchy or Dala. I'm new to the glass scene but have really come to enjoy it. I have just setup my own studio in my house (luckily enough) and take every free minute I can to get on the torch and melt some glass! Again I have no clue in the world what im doing. I just watch a LOT of videos, and just try and practice things that are easy enough. ive tried gathering for a marble...a little bit of dots for implosion on the marble... flattening using my marver. uhh....im terrible at stringers but im still getting the pull down. My absolute biggest concern is that I need help on finding out how to use the flame, and flame characteristics..amicrazy? thanks again and its nice to meet ya'll!

Hi,

My name is Rick. I live in Silicon Valley and plan to take a "marble making" class in early February. My only experience with glass work is in the laboratory, very limited. Excited to get started. If the marble class goes well, I'm hoping to redeploy some of my Acetylene welding equipment. I own a small Paragon kiln I used for knife making and high temperature super conductors. It has a digital controller.

I see a lot of posts suggesting a "good" torch is important to consider. Looking hard at the Bethlehem Bravo. I'm wondering if there is a good supplier of glass in the SF Bay Area?

Great web site. So nice of people to share their knowledge and experience!

- Rick

Rick, check the glass phone book section of the forum for a supplier in your area.

Welcome!
    ~Misha

Thanks Misha

Cool Re: Rollcall - introduce yourself!

I've been lurking here a while; I'm not sure if I'm cut out for lampworking. I have a background in machining, I'm a youngish retiree. Currently live south of Seattle but will probably move to western Oregon. Glass lathes appeal to me and I just confirmed shipment of my first torch--the seven inch version of the new Beth Sharp "hand Alpha".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beth Sharp.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	92075
    Update: taking a marble class this Saturday in Issaquah, WA.
    Last edited by Subduction; 03-08-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Hey everyone,

Names Aaron. I have been a member here for a long time but dropped off the face of the earth for a while. Had a kid and had to take a long break from glass but I am back and ready to start up again.

Wanted to post in here to see if any of the people I used to chat with here are still kicking around here or not. Haven't really recognized a lot of names but glad to be back.

They call me Loveless. My whole life has been surrounded in art, mostly tattooing, and lamp working off and on throughout. One of my favorite bands is Alice in Chains, because Lane knew what he was doing to himself, yet couldn't stop. He poured all his pain into his music. I never understood that, until recently. Now, I will pour my pain into my art, yet keeping a positive feel. Odd I know, but I'm going to be starting my master[piece, a mixed genre multi medium art project. I'm going to get the ball rolling, and watch it snowball. At 34 I finally have what I need to create my artistic vision. I guess this was a little more on the personal side of me, but hey, it works.

-Loveless
    Chance favors the prepared mind!!

Default Re: Rollcall

Cathy M, CT, Web Developer, Taken a few glassblowing classes and now I'm hooked. Trying to learn what I can and about glassblowing and lampwork, so I can keep moving forward. Also new to forums.

Doing the intro thing. I’ve been interested in making glass objects for many years and always thought about trying it. So I took an all day and a two hr class at Stone Arch Glass Studio in Minneapolis. Addicted! I’ve been lurking on here for a couple months. Reading, reading and more reading. YouTube has a few good sources of information. Revere Glass has a lot of good tutorials. I’m setting up a spot in the garage in the next couple weeks. Oh yeah!