The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What a deal I found!

Default What a deal I found!

Passing the Gential Germ around N.C. for over 30 years

Default Re: What a deal I found!

Lets see, at http://generationsglass.com, you can get a nortel Minor, two regulators, set of hose, a minor graphite marver, brand new for $315. for $250 more you can get tools, and supplies, a complete kit:
    Wonka KitTorch:
    Nortel Minor - $165.00
    "L” marver - $45.00

Hand Tools:
    2 x 12mm octagon reamer - $25.00
    2x3 Graphite paddle - $14.00
    Tweezers set (8, 10, and 12”) - $13.00
    Disc Nippers - $22.00
    Scoring Knife - $25.00

Gas Accessories:
    Propane Regulator - $70.00
    Oxygen Regulator - $70.00
    12 Foot 1/4" Grade T Hose - $25.00

Northstar Frit:
    NS-Frit Sample Pack - $98

Glass Rods:
    6mm – 20 Pc Bundle - $17.00
    10mm – 10 Pc Bundle - $22.00
    12mm – 10 Pc Bundle - $33.00

$644.00 $579.60 On Sale!
    So no, thats an adequate deal, but you can get brand new cheaper.
    http://www.generationsglass.com/Kits.html

This comes with a 250 cf oxy tank and also propane tank. I only have around 300 to spend anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
    This comes with a 250 cf oxy tank and also propane tank. I only have around 300 to spend anyways.
    well, you have to buy oxygen anyway, it has to come in a cylinder, and gas companies won't fill competitors cylinders. the Craig's list deal is for $350. So for under $300 you can get your torch and regulators, and a hose, for 3 bones. So thats cheaper, and its brand new. No clogged ports, no carbon build up. Plus Kristian will guarantee your torch. In my personal opinion, I'd go with generations, and the new rig.

What I hear is that if you bring your own oxygen cylinder to a welding shop they switch it out with a full tank that they own and take yours.

depends on the shop I guess. I know national welding wont do that. Anything they can do to squeeze an extra dollar out of you, they will. In NC, it's illegal to refill a competitor's cylinder with your fuel (or so I have been told). I have no idea if thats a local, state, or federal law. Propane, Rhino puts a weird valve so they are the only ones that can fill their propane tanks.

Now here welding shops what a deposit on the use of their tanks, so even if you bring them a cylinder, they will take it, and still charge you a deposit, and charge you for the air/gas.

Well I guess if I buy the used one I should ask the guy where he fills up his tanks.

Well I guess if I buy the used one I should ask the guy where he fills up his tanks.
    Yeah but it's a real PITA, I mean if you own one, it has to be pressure tested, if you are starting out, you should probably just rent one. A Minor on a K tank, you are looking at $20 a month to rent, and 12 to fill. thats a rough (VERY ROUGH) guesstAMATE. WHEN YOU Upgrade, you can swap out for a Dewar, and not loose the money of a pre paid tank. Plus if the valve fucks up or something, you are just kinda stuck if you bought it, if you are leasing one, they bring you a replacement. Just food for thought

I am not sure why National is like that on tanks. Not all oxy suppliers do that. Ok I really do know why they want to make sure you buy everything from them. I was told it was because people would lease tanks then swap them out at other companies causing problems when those other companies saw their leased tanks at other stores.
    "If you are looking for sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary somewhere between shit and syphilis"

Quote Originally Posted by Udai Hussien View Post
    Yeah but it's a real PITA, I mean if you own one, it has to be pressure tested,
    I bought 3 tanks this year. One was rusted so bad we couldn't get the cap off when we did we couldn't get back on. Switched them all out with no problem. But they all were stamped in early 2000 indicating the hydrostatic test was still good.Stamps look like this ( 00+ , 01 ) ie 2000 on one tank and 2001 on the other. I also had another tank that was stamped 98+ and the shop switched it with no fee. But they'll have to have that tank redone after this year.
    "If you are looking for sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary somewhere between shit and syphilis"

MInor $170
    Propane Reg $70
    Oxy Reg $70
    Hose $20.
    Propane Tank $30
    Total $360....

Throw out oxygen tank issue and its not much of a deal...

I don't know about other areas, but owning a tank in my area means you have a receipt for a "tank". Most gas dealers in my area just exchange tanks, the do not even look at neck bands or last pressure test date..

Dale

propy tanks at costco are only 19 bucks. I'd say condition of the equipment is a huge factor. Figure the oxy tank at around 100 bucks.
    Not all regs are created equal either. And if one is bad you might as well just buy a new one cause rebuilds are very expensive.

A 300 oxy tank should be quite a bit more than 100 bucks.

Owning your own oxy cylinders can work out well for you depending on your local supply places. When I was in AZ the competition was fierce between Praxair and everyone else. I got my k tanks switched out every week for $10 (ten dollar tuesday). No lease or maintenance fees. In MA, I had to prove the tanks were mine and they switched them out as well. Not as cheap and I was charged a maintenance fee for switching out the cylinders ($3 a year, so basically nothing).

Were I am now, there is only one major supplier. I pay more and they will not switch out my tanks. They will fill them, but I have to drop them off a week ahead of time and it costs more. So now I am forced to lease cylinders in order to be able to switch them out.

Just check the situation with your local oxy place. Also, bargain that kit deal down as it is not really that great to begin with. Glass blowing equipment is not too easy to sell locally in most places, so you may have a little negotiating leverage, especially when you bring up the generations deal.

dont' bother buying an oxy tank, leasing it is less hassle and worth the money. I own a tank and I lease a tank. With my guys (ABCO) when I need my tank filled I drop it off and drop back by 48 hours later. For about 5 bucks more per fill (it's a larger tank than the one I own) and I think 30 a year annually I can just drop by hand them the empty and take home a full one when I do the lease swap. Plus I'm responsible for testing and safe disposal of the one I own. It's just a pain in the ass.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

I bought a large oxy acetylene welding rig at a yard sale. Had a 282 CuFt oxy and a big acetylene tank....on a rolling cart with a saftey strap. Guy wanted $40.00!! I looked it over and saw the last stamp on the oxy tank was 63...as in 1963!! So I told the guy I wasn't sure I could get it certified being so old. He said $25.00...I said sold.
    I took the 2 tanks and my 3 empty 5gal. propane tanks to the welding supply. I asked the guy if there was any value for the acetylene tank, and could I swap out the oxy tank. He looked at the oxy tank and said it was originally made in 1922!! but a $17.50 fee for certification and it would still be good. He said he would give me a new, full oxy bottle for the aceylene tank. I said can you fill up my 3 propanes for the same deal? He said yes. SO, for $25.00, I got a $200.00 customer owned bottle with $20.00 worth of oxy and another $45.00 of propane!! AND I kept the cart so now my oxy bottles are on a rolling cart secured against falling over. THAT is a killer deal.
    I have never had any problem swapping out my oxy. I can take them one guy today and another weld shop tomorrow. The bottles are not marked as being owned by a weld shop, so they just swap them out. It's no problem.
    Marble On!
    Mike

if it happens too quick, then that usually means it was rushed...( Sinbad )

Quote Originally Posted by pacosaki View Post
    I bought a large oxy acetylene welding rig at a yard sale. Had a 282 CuFt oxy and a big acetylene tank....on a rolling cart with a saftey strap. Guy wanted $40.00!! I looked it over and saw the last stamp on the oxy tank was 63...as in 1963!! So I told the guy I wasn't sure I could get it certified being so old. He said $25.00...I said sold.
    I took the 2 tanks and my 3 empty 5gal. propane tanks to the welding supply. I asked the guy if there was any value for the acetylene tank, and could I swap out the oxy tank. He looked at the oxy tank and said it was originally made in 1922!! but a $17.50 fee for certification and it would still be good. He said he would give me a new, full oxy bottle for the aceylene tank. I said can you fill up my 3 propanes for the same deal? He said yes. SO, for $25.00, I got a $200.00 customer owned bottle with $20.00 worth of oxy and another $45.00 of propane!! AND I kept the cart so now my oxy bottles are on a rolling cart secured against falling over. THAT is a killer deal.
    I have never had any problem swapping out my oxy. I can take them one guy today and another weld shop tomorrow. The bottles are not marked as being owned by a weld shop, so they just swap them out. It's no problem.
    that is a cool deal, Im just saying National weldong in NC sucks balls they truly try to nickle and Dime you to death

I guess I can barter this guy down to 300 then ask him where he fills up his oxygen tank and for how much they fill it.

we bought our k tank. and on several occasions, we have needed a fill when our guys were closed. we have tried several places and they all turned us away because we have a competitors tank. i think we might have found one place, a while ago that filled it for us, but we had to bring in the papers and stuff from when we bought the tank. it all depends on if there is a lable on the tank. if not, i guess youll be fine. but if there is, there will most likely be a hassle.
    its really not worth the hassle. just get one from where your gonna fill it. besides, the more business you do with your oxy sup, the more they like you. the more they like you, the more they hook you up later.

So should I go through with this deal? Maybe barter down if its worth it.

So should I go through with this deal? Maybe barter down if its worth it.
    Have you seen the torch yet? See if you can turn it out once, make sure there are no clogged ports. I'd still personally go new. Call Kristian and see if he has any used torches, he may just have one.