The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff i've made

Default Stuff i've made

Finally i got everything up an running, i set my linx at 5psi propane and 15psi oxygen, and here are my first pieces:

a penguin show and my first pendant implosion using cobalt. I have two more pendants in the kiln wich i think are better.

Before this pendant i made about 5 clear ones wich i fumed with siver, covered with some clear dots, and tried some implosions and other designs but the silver didnt strike at all... I must have fumed it wrong or i dont know... i used a soft reductant flame and run my pieces 3 times in the kiln at 1150F but still no success in striking the silver..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	penguin show.JPG 
Views:	1705 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	12111  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Stuff i've made

Yeah.. i know this is crap but it's just my first pieces... Pics of a better implosion coming soon..

Well id say good job, thay penguin is bomb.... but either you took a class, or did A LOT of homework before popping that torches ussie.

not bad man especally for firsts,,, keep at it lots of good info here.. read up..

Thanks! no classes 4 me, i live in Romania but alot of reading and gathering before i started.. about 4 months..
    Well, here's my second implosion using hyacint wich i think turned out pretty well... i spent 80minutes on it.. it's less than an inch.. about 2cm in diameter. trapped some bubbles but i like it... too bad the pictures dont show it well.... i dont know if its me or my camera...
    Last edited by voic; 05-14-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Blog Entries

try moving the camera farther away from the glass. it's a good start, keep it going. whenever you do something you like try to instantly sit back down and make 10 more. you'll get faster and better as you go if you keep trying.
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

Dont try and rush either...after a week of strait pendant work...I've realized rushing to make the same product over and over faster and faster each time...starts to take away it's overall appearance and detail. In the search bar type "pendant" you'll find all kinds of helpful tutorials. Helped me a lot.

PS: i think the bubbles are from getting the color too hot before it starts to implode? Someone elaborate?

Here's some other stuff that i made recently:

Im pretty happy with them.. after 30hrs of lampworking, except for the flower...

Name:	colored critters.JPG 
Views:	1584 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	12204  

what vids/books did you learn from. I have been tryin to make an implosion like that last black and white one, never looks right though, your stuff lookin good though for a newb like myself
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hit me with music"

Well, first of all alot of reading around here and over at wetcanvas and lampworketc.. Filed some of the tutorials and techniques. Then i bought contemprary lampworkin by dunham and some DVDs - essential lampworking, an introduction to using borocolour and the GTT instructional video... and a lot of videos on youtube.. and thats about it.. practiced with some honey before the stuff came ... And when i try smthg.. a sculpture or implosion.. i do it slow and try to correct everything thats wrong while i do it.. removing misplaced dots..wings.. reshaping...

Thats incredible, you appear to be a natural. Very good work for just starting out. Now that you've done the research, its time to clock in the hours. Please keep posting so we can see your progress.

Anyway, hows it out there in Romania? You must have glassblowing in your veins!

see there ya go, I get pissed as soon as I mess up and start over, I need to try to start fixing the stuff instead, and build skill that way ... I figured you used the GTT vid for the dolphins, I made like 100 of them when I started a few months ago
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hit me with music"

Those loops on some of those pendants look excellent. It took me a long, long time to get my loops down. Keep it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    You just don't get it
    get heady

Coming on nicely.
    It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    Really.

Thanks people!!!

I keep track of every minute i am working, so far i have worked 32:50 and still on my first oxygen tank. But i dont think it has much in it tho'.. tomorrow im'a go refill. How much do you think an 80kilo propane tank would last me?

Here in Romania.. well.. its a pretty nice country but we're kind of back like 20-30 years behind countries like France, Germany.. etc.. Not so many lampworkers around here.. in fact i havent met one yet and never saw any lampworked glass pieces around here.. There are many glassworkers tho' makin vases and stuff...

Yeah, i use a lynx set at 5 propane and 15 oxy (should i change this ratio?). I have a slight problem with it, i dont know if its the torch or smthg else but the propane pressure keeps dropping while i'm working and i have to turn it a little more pretty often.. it's kind of started to bother me...

I had some trouble with the loops at first, i still do but now im using 10mm rod for them instead of 4 and i think i got the hang of it... still need alot of practice..

And here are my last pieces.. the photos didnt came out so well...

Name:	black white flower.JPG 
Views:	1496 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	12208  

Im having trouble with some of the transparents i tried, Violet and Sublime. They look like they are full of bubbles. How can i get them out. I tried mixing the color but had no success... maybe i mixed it wrong... how do u mix it to eliminate those tiny little bubbles??

are they first quality colors? Maybe air bubbles in the glass itself, if not try working it further in the back of the flame away from the heat.
    "If you are looking for sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary somewhere between shit and syphilis"

WOW I can only wish when I start i can come close to that! Im having nitemares about wasting alot in the beginning

Depends what ur doing with the sublime. I had a few rods. Havent found much use for em. I think they're m,ore for structural work.

WOOT ON THE DRUNK POST

Well, i wanted to put it over Teal to obtain a nice effect. I tried Violet too but i got the same problem. They're from a NS sample pack (dont know the quality) i got from FrantzArt for 300$, but they seem to already have the bubbles in them... i worked them slow, try to mix them but cant get rid of the bubbles..

Here's a couple of more pendants. I like how the B&W turned out this time: