The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oxygen and propane tanks

Default Oxygen and propane tanks

hey,
    i just joined this site and just got a flameworking setup. i have a cheeta torch and i was wondering what size oxygen and propane tanks i should get and around how much they should cost. any other advice or tips would be appreciated thanks,
    skatefish

Default Re: Oxygen and propane tanks

It all dependson how much you're going to be working. If this is still a parttime thing for you then a single high pressure O2 tank and a 20Lb (BBQ tank) propane will be fine. That cheeta doesn't consume much fuel and you'll probably get 12-15 hrs out of that O2 tank. Liquid oxygen becomes way more effiecient if you're going to be working fulltime or with mulitple torches in your shop.

Cost can vary from region to region. I would let your fingers do the walking and get quotes from the gass suppliers in your area. Propane you can get at a gas station or u-haul place and you shouldn't have to pay more that 12 dollars a fill. I pay $22 for a high pressure O2 tank delivered, however we run liquid most of the time and only keep a high pressure or two for backup.

get a standard 20lb propane tank for your fuel.
    For o2 get the biggest tank you can get like a K tank it holds about 255 cubic feet of o2. the bigger the tank the less it cost per cubic foot of gas.
    one local place charges $18 to fill a 80cf tank but charges $22 to fill a 255cf tank. So the bigger the o2 tank the less you will spend per amount and the less you will have to go to fill it.

Why a cheetah? I have never worked on it but when getting my Phantom I asked about the cheetah. I was told you cant get a good small detail flame. For a beginner this might be a bit much for you. I remember I had a hard time controlling my glass with a national! Might wanna pick up a small national. Any decent gas rental or welding supply store should have some.
    Momka's Glass Kicks Borosilicate Ass

thanks a lot for your help. im got the cheeta because i was told that all around it was the best torch for the money. I think i am gunna end up getting two used oxygen tanks for $150 one is 80cf and the other 60cf both have passed inspection. does this sound like a good deal?

thanks a lot

Not really, lease a 250-337 tank for around $50 a year much better deal and 2x as much oxy and you only have to move 1 tank. You will save a lot more on oxy than by owning the tanks, $150 should get you a K or T tank for like 3 years.

hell, here you can buy a K tank for $250. (well, technically it's a 15 year lease, then you renew or get charged for a privately owned bottle)
    -f