The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Glass Pipemaking is the most significant movement in American Glassmaking history.

Default Glass Pipemaking is the most significant movement in American Glassmaking history.

so in case you didnt know, GLASS PIPES are now OFFICIALLY the most significant movement in the history of AMERICAN glassmaking!!

dont believe me, come down to the Mark Wooley Gallery and see for yourself.... come argue about it in person ,,,,

Glass Alchemy is throwing an Open House Party at the Mark Woolley Gallery on Thursday, June 19th.

817 SW 2nd Ave
    Portland, Oregon

Happy hour with the artists of Degenerate Art.

Say hello to each other and the gallery before the GAS Gallery Hop

Thurs. JUNE 19
    4pm-6pm

We will be serving “Alchemy Ale” brewed for us by Lompoc Brewery

Please RSVP alchemist@glassalchemyarts.com (so we know how much ale to bring)

--see you there!

slinger

Default Re: Glass Pipemaking is the most significant movement in American Glassmaking history

Wow, wish I could be there....

Default Re: Glass Pipemaking is the most significant movement in American Glassmaking history

BE there in spirit!
    Julz

"Free Your Mind, and Your Glass Will Follow"

RSVP'd
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

does the alchemy ale have any amazon bronze in it?

Hahah, no but it's filled with NILE!!!!

wow, thats awesome. i was thinking about that recently, sort of. that with the growing legalization, or at least acceptance, of the nuggets, that maybe pipes will become more and more recognized as a legitimate art form within the art historical context. any thoughts? think we'll be seeing any jason lees in the MOMA any time soon?
    Dan

I never half-step 'cuz I'm not a half-stepper
    My homepage

so in case you didnt know, GLASS PIPES are now OFFICIALLY the most significant movement in the history of AMERICAN glassmaking!!
    That's a pretty BOLD statement. Glassblowing was infused with Americas beginnings even in the original colonies. Just off the top of my head, I would say the bottling industry contributed the most to American culture when it reached capability of getting liquids to the MASSES in glass.

Should be a good conversation starter though. I just hope the rest of your arguement is done in a manner that represents us intelligently and not just for shock value. Wish I could be there. If you need any info about places that are NOT progressive in this culture let me know. We are still in the dark ages over here on this coast.

Slinger best of everything for the exhibish.

The work shown in your link is amazing stuff, innovative and definitely pushing the envelope.

You folks are sooo lucky to have stuff like this to go and see and admire.
    It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    That's a pretty BOLD statement. Glassblowing was infused with Americas beginnings even in the original colonies. Just off the top of my head, I would say the bottling industry contributed the most to American culture when it reached capability of getting liquids to the MASSES in glass.

Should be a good conversation starter though. I just hope the rest of your arguement is done in a manner that represents us intelligently and not just for shock value. Wish I could be there. If you need any info about places that are NOT progressive in this culture let me know. We are still in the dark ages over here on this coast.
    hah, whats funny is i actually believe this garbage i write.... as for representing, i just represent myself,,,

as for the debate, there wouldnt be a Boro industry like there is today without the pipe industry, period. Ask Henry and Susan at Glass Alchemy. They are the ones representing for us right now, and im very proud and inspired by their efforts. Im just another degenerate just doing me,,,

artistically, Pipes are the first and only mass movement of glass artists in the United States making items that challenge the social and political NORMS.

marbles and vases are SAFE, 99% of the glass represented at every GAS conference is SAFE...

art should challenge and ask questions, and pipes do that, otherwise they would have been accepted into the GAS conference along time ago....

not only that but the pipe scene didnt happen b/c a bunch of artists just wanted to play with a medium, it happened because the public demanded a product, a product that lies in a huge grey area of the law,,, and thats the movement,, no other glass item has had nearly the impact in the United States....

PIPES are way bigger than just "glass items", theyve transcended into its own thing, call it what you want, love it or hate it,,, its the art of the people by the people....

I got into working with glass through my collecting of marbles. So I didn't know anything about the pipe scene. I'm not a smoker of anything so what do I need with pipes? Well, I found out the pipe scene and marbles are closely connected and entwined. Many pipe artists are marble makers as well. Many designs we see on marbles came from techniques developed for pipes. It was and is an eye opening experience for me. The art, creativity and skill of the pipe makers is really amazing. They know their medium and they know how to make it do amazing things with apparent ease. After melting glass for a couple years, I know how hard it is to master some the the things these people do with glass. I am glad to see the pipes coming out in an art show. I'm getting tired of going to smoke shops to see this amazing art.

I have seen a chopper by Banjo. The symmetry he gets with all the small sections he puts together to achieve the design is mind blowing.

I, too, wish I could make it up to see the exhibit.
    Marble On!
    Mike

if it happens too quick, then that usually means it was rushed...( Sinbad )

Great show!
    I went to the opening night friday june 6.
    Mark Woolery gallery , downtown Portland.
    it was AWESOME. really nice presentation on the pieces!
    Portland oregon is so progressive so I doubt there will be much "shock value" but more appreciation for the amazing art that IS pipemaking. the pieces in the show really demonstrate the pipemaking industry as Artistic and Hard Working!
    BRAVO!!!!!!!
    ENCORE!!!!!!
    next time D.C.??!!
    christina cody

haha, yeah, pipes are hardly shocking, many use them daily,,,,

the shock is either OMG, pipes in a gallery?

or

OMG, it took this long for pipes to be in a gallery?

choose your poison...

wow, way to go.
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." -George Carlin

my glassartists site

What you are promoting up in Portland; I consider to be a milestone for what I've dedicated my life to for the last ten years.

In 1998, I felt that I was coming into this medium well behind the artist that were already established. I knew I was artistically inclined but between the advanced work that I've seen in Northern California and Oregon - I sucked.

No matter how I felt about my status, I continued to push myself and my art. I battled through the many sacrifices all pipe makers must endure. Be it obtaining a workspace or supplies, or the dreaded shady shop owner and their slick underhanded deals.

Things have changed dramatically in the last ten years. It's not a secret any more. You don't have to KNOW someone in the biz to start pipe making. I have said it before and I'm gonna say it again: We are at the forefront of an American glass revolution!

Slinger, you and the rest of the Degenerate crew are making history! I wish I could be there. Thank you for your dedication and your willingness to openly defy the old belief system.

I got carried away, but this shit is important!

Matt Bain says No Stress.

Damn i wish i could be there, keep pushin the bar slinger

I'll be there and we can talk about it. R

I know this may sound silly, but what about the old Studio glass movement of the 1960's?

Wish I could be there to talk about it, have fun! looks to be a grand olde time.
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." -George Carlin

my glassartists site

Excellent. Spoken like true pirates! Good luck you guys.
    It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    Really.