The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Can colorants in glass leech?

Default Re: Can colorants in glass leech?

First and foremost: Sentences. Grammar exists for a reason. It is very difficult to understand what are saying when your paragraph ignores all conventions of punctuation, capitalization, and homophone selection.

Next, those in this thread who say "glass does not freeze" are correct. Technically freezing is the shift between a liquid and solid state. Glass obviously does this. However, what it does not do is crystallize. Water crystallizes. Iron crystallizes. Stone crystallizes. Glass does not. Glass vitrifies. The vitrification process is specifically not freezing.

Vitrification is a process where a liquid hardens without crystallizing. It does not occur at a specific temperature in the way that water freezes (crystallizes) at 0 centigrade. Rather it moves slower and slower as it cools until it just stops moving.

This process is very important to understand when working with glass. Water, or wax, or iron (which freeze) will not crack if you cool it down quickly. Glass will. This is because when a material crystallizes the molecular structure changes and locks in place. In glass there is no preferred structure. The molecules aren't arranged in any particular pattern. This is in fact what defines a substance as a glass. The reason this causes cracking is because any stress you introduce into the glass, by heating and shaping it, remains there after it vitrifies. If the temperature drops below the glass's transition temperature before all of that stress has been allowed to dissipate the stress will crack the glass. We call the process of keeping the glass at a temperature above its transition point (the temperature below which the molecules can no longer move freely), but below its molten point (the temperature where the mass of glass itself is able to move) annealing. This is all different from freezing (crystallization) where molecules snap into place below their freezing temperature.

I was just kidding around and pointing out the irony about the giraffe invasion on Facebook. I wasn't saying that you were fake. It's just funny timing and my comment is a nod to the numerous conspiracy theorists who read this forum (especially the paranoid ones - you know who you are... and so do I). I like giraffe's, too, btw. I didn't mean to make you feel bad about yourself. I'm sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by giraffetech View Post
    im fantastically offended, it all started because i gave my opinion on two subjects previously mentioned and then the one subject on the thread, um idk how long this has been made kim but more then a week or two. i can have a favorite animals cant i?(for the record i got licked by a giraffe at a zoo when i was around 5 years old it was kinda cool probably has an effect on that name) but back to what i was saying, i gave my opinion and i got called a troll for what? i gave my opinion thats not trolling, and i never said glass freezes and room temp, HAHA wow dont call me stupid. i said the same thing 50 times. glass melts and its a liquid, when its not melted its "frozen" when its not frozen its metled, blam there is nothing wrong with that simple statement . i also said if you lived on a hotter planet glass would naturally be melted aka liquid/fluid. very simple and obvious statement, (yet you still dissagree?) , but i could have said at room temp glass is frozen, but that does not mean glass freezes at room temp. no kiddies i dont mean ice crystle frozen. you should know what i mean when i say the glass freezes at room temp. HAHA and i get called a troll and dumb? this is ridiculous. and ok guys sorry some one here exagerated a bit, i figured if i said 10000 degrees people would get the point that its hot, or 30 degrees i figured they would think oh thats cold. sorry for exaggerating? i wasnt trying to act like i know what temp glass actually melts at, because according to what i read, it doesnt melt at a difinite temp like metal. so sorry for exargerating sorry for givng my opinion sorry for spelling a few things wrong sorry for liking giraffes sorry most of you are just confused and misread everything i wrote, im also sorry you think im fake, im sorry that you guys are so rude offensive to someone thats putting his time and energy and love into trying to help someoneone. yeah i gave a few numbers that i meant loosly, i had no intention in people thinking that thoughs were meaning full numbers, more of a variable, more of a mile marker saying the glass is definitly melted and definitly hardend, im beyond offended by 99% of you, i agree i came off wrong and where you guys pointed that out i thank you, but you have no reason to be that offensive, use your head, if i was fake/a trol/anything other then someone out there trying to do there best i would have a bunch of pictures of all the amazing stuff "i" made, but no in reality im no glass master i dont have any pictures,, why? because i have nothing beautiful to show. i am just a begininer but i know alot. im what they call austic my brain works slightly different then yours, i can learn at a pretty rapid pace and take in more then most. and kbinkster, arent you with willy or wally? sorry i get confused! idk who's who!, you wouldnt want me or anyone for that matter to say you use him for money, and its very wrong for anyone to assume something like that, and its also wrong for you to assume i am a fraud, this isnt the tmp, this is just mostly big group of egotistical people talking bad about me, and i may not be 100% right but all i am is someone out there doing there best, atleast im not out there criticizing people for doing the best they can and making them feel even worse about them selfs, thanks.
    ~Kimberly
    oxygen concentrators and Momka's borosilicate glass
    Check out my YouTube Channel for videos of torches running on concentrators. I'm working on more, so stay tuned and keep checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    Why, a GTT Cobra of course. You can barely blow glass without one.
    I hope you meant the Quadzilla version Cobra. Regular Cobras are so 2012.
    ~Kimberly
    oxygen concentrators and Momka's borosilicate glass
    Check out my YouTube Channel for videos of torches running on concentrators. I'm working on more, so stay tuned and keep checking.

Quote Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
    I hope you meant the Quadzilla version Cobra. Regular Cobras are so 2012.
    Of course. Those old ones are really only good for doorstops.
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

lukem5 Or Glassified, Even The Structure Of The Posts Is Similar
    Quote Originally Posted by itssteve View Post
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

You mean freeze stick um up like an old bank robber. I got it now bra.

You stated it then used the ice to compare it . While talking about states of matter.

While calling us kids, cussing, and writing paragraphs of back peddle.

I hate to say it cause it gets jimmy the don all worked up, but.

You are pretty butt hurt over this.

I would recommend throwing a 40 mil rod in the freezer and ease er in to relive the pain.
    Last edited by jr23; 11-12-2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: t
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

Quote Originally Posted by Necoras View Post
    First and foremost: Sentences. Grammar exists for a reason. It is very difficult to understand what are saying when your paragraph ignores all conventions of punctuation, capitalization, and homophone selection.

Next, those in this thread who say "glass does not freeze" are correct. Technically freezing is the shift between a liquid and solid state. Glass obviously does this. However, what it does not do is crystallize. Water crystallizes. Iron crystallizes. Stone crystallizes. Glass does not. Glass vitrifies. The vitrification process is specifically not freezing.

Vitrification is a process where a liquid hardens without crystallizing. It does not occur at a specific temperature in the way that water freezes (crystallizes) at 0 centigrade. Rather it moves slower and slower as it cools until it just stops moving.

This process is very important to understand when working with glass. Water, or wax, or iron (which freeze) will not crack if you cool it down quickly. Glass will. This is because when a material crystallizes the molecular structure changes and locks in place. In glass there is no preferred structure. The molecules aren't arranged in any particular pattern. This is in fact what defines a substance as a glass. The reason this causes cracking is because any stress you introduce into the glass, by heating and shaping it, remains there after it vitrifies. If the temperature drops below the glass's transition temperature before all of that stress has been allowed to dissipate the stress will crack the glass. We call the process of keeping the glass at a temperature above its transition point (the temperature below which the molecules can no longer move freely), but below its molten point (the temperature where the mass of glass itself is able to move) annealing. This is all different from freezing (crystallization) where molecules snap into place below their freezing temperature.
    Thanks I was going to link him to this info . He just went off the deep end of the pool.
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

If i Had a Daughter With Butt Hurt syndrome, I'd Be Pretty Insulted By That..
    Quote Originally Posted by itssteve View Post
    Hey jimmi if this deal were to fall through (which I doubt will happen) I'll let my lynx go for a couple cooter pics of your sis. Pm me

Just because your daughter has it?? I know you have chronic butt hurt syndrome, but damn if I knew it was genetic!!
    And why would you be insulted if your daughter was a chip off the ole block??
    Are we having fun yet??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butthurt.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	55915
    " Freedom lives and through it he lives - in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men"