The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Glass online. Pros/cons

Default Glass online. Pros/cons

I had this in BC's thread about work online. Seemed like a bit of a thread jack so I'll put it here:

Do people ever sell anything with a glassartist page?? Obviously it depends on the work and if it is for sale, but do prospective buyers/galleries/shop owners find their talent on there? What about Myspace??

What are people's experiences with online picture sites? Are you just showing your stuff to other glassblowers or are you interacting with customers/glass lovers. Sorry so many questions. I'm Genuinely curious.

Default Re: Glass online. Pros/cons

I sell more stuff to people who actually touch my work than to people who can just view it from a monitor.
    E

Blog Entries

i've had buyers ask me not to post pics of my prodo before. now i just don't to be on the safe side.

as for the other stuff, i started posting on GA just to share with you guys but people started approaching me so i made a website. i don't pimp it too hard and people still hit me up. i think it's fun to share and i need the feedback i get, both from you guys and from buyers. i don't count on it to support my family though.

i used to be hesitant because i didn't think my work was as good as other work i was seeing. i don't want to worry about that anymore so i just don't. i'm not really into being competitive with my work. it's my therapy, that's enough.
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

for me, i happened along to gp.org around 5 yrs ago or and that is when i fist saw the amazing glass being made .i live in the country and dont get out much
    after taking it in or going through all kinds of work and always the new stuff i contacted artists that had work i liked and got them to make me something or checked out what they had available and ended up with maybe 5-6 small but nice pieces i would have and probably will still do so but its tougher if you cant have any contact info on that site- they used to but dont anymore.(tryed to get a hold of a small banjo chopper chick dry no luck)
    anyhow i think it can help ......
    i only post my work here as im just learning and im basically posting for any critique or advise .i dont post much either but do if its something that didnt turn out too bad
    Ð^ñ®

I sell more stuff to people who actually touch my work than to people who can just view it from a monitor.
    E
    Same here

I've received orders from GP.org (waaaaay back in the day), and I've done more than a few marble requests through GA.org, (I even somehow got a dildo order for ClubJenna through GA.org). I just got onto MarbleArtists.org last week, and I already received an invite to Kobe Japan for the Marble Showing at the Kobe International Glass Museum this Winter. Those 3 sites have done so much footwork for me promotional wise, the sponsorships usually pay for themselves.

As far as myspace...just a bunch of underage hussies asking me for autographs. J/K. Myspace hasn't really done much for my glass career other than show family and friends what I've been up to, which sometimes generates the occasional starving-artist sympathy-sale.

eBay and eyecandyarts.com make up most of my revenue generating sales and Paypal is my money pimp, taking three-point something percent of each sale.

I like to do shows, but I am generally pretty reclusive. I know when people meet an artist, they're more inclined to buy that astists' work, but I have also found that if I show my face and tell my story at an occasional marble show, people trust buying my work online when they see it.

I dunno, the web works for me.

Best advice??? Get in where you fit in.

i refuse to post pics of my pipes because of where i live and because i have little ones. but as soon as i get around to doing more vessels,marbles or what ever etc..i'll post as much as i can for the hell of it.

I've made a few very good contacts through myspace, all stores. The individuals, ask about four ?'s in emails an then fade away. So no retail for me but lots of wholesale, I've filled about 10,000 in orders due to myspace. On glasspipes I've only sold posters an answered a lot of peeps emails but same thing, they fade away. So, my experience is that is has paid off to post pics for wholesale accounts but not good for indy's, an it's probably a lot safer like that anyways.
    2010bc

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    I had this in BC's thread about work online. Seemed like a bit of a thread jack so I'll put it here:

Do people ever sell anything with a glassartist page?? Obviously it depends on the work and if it is for sale, but do prospective buyers/galleries/shop owners find their talent on there? What about Myspace??

What are people's experiences with online picture sites? Are you just showing your stuff to other glassblowers or are you interacting with customers/glass lovers. Sorry so many questions. I'm Genuinely curious.

yo, all im gonna say is that you need to MARKET, BRAND, IMAGE, and ADVERTISE in order to get ahead with your product in a capitalist society.

Its not about posting a pic of a piece and someone emailing you to buy that exact piece, although this does happen sometimes.

Its about creating a reputation for yourself, an image, a brand, something people can latch onto when they actually DO decide to purchase.

People have to KNOW who you are, and WHAT you make first and foremost. Then you can add to that by creating an IMAGE and BRANDING your company so that it appeals to customers on many different levels.

This all leads to sales and opportunities.

The internet is the perfect place to put up pics in so many different places so that so many people can view them; and its all free, and all done from the comfort of your own home.

PEOPLE KNOW OF ART AND CRAFT THROUGH PICTURES.

I have never seen the Mona Lisa in person.

I have never seen MOST great ART in person.

But thru pics it has been ingrained into my head.

The Mona Lisa is famous to me because ive seen the picture of it over and over and over again.

I should charge for advice like this, its worth alot more than .02 if you really understand what im saying.

But dont believe me, im just some crazy pipemaker with a bunch of pipe dreams...

Excellent post, rep

The internet is the perfect place to put up pics in so many different places so that so many people can view them; and its all free, and all done from the comfort of your own home.
    So the internet picture sites act as tools that can be used for basicly free advertising, showing your products to a larger market, and keeping people aware of current works and styles. And you should get in where ya fit in. I'm starting to get it. Good advice here.

When i was in Japan, i had many flameworkers come up to me and tell me that my website(thataintart.com) was their homepage on their computer.

People on the other side of the world are watching what i make and do and i really had no idea. It blew my mind.

When i heard that, i realized how glad i am that i put my work out there, and that you really have no idea who is watching, and what opportunities it can bring you...

Put Google anylitics or any kind of web tracking program and you can tell where and when and how and why about your site and the people looking at it. Then figure out if it's worth having it up there.

We put as much as possible out there on the web. We've gotten custom orders and gallery representation from all our outlets except myspace. We're constantly doing searches for more places to display our work and get our name out there.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Put Google anylitics or any kind of web tracking program and you can tell where and when and how and why about your site and the people looking at it. Then figure out if it's worth having it up there.
    yea ive looked at the website stats before, its one thing when you read a number on a screen and another thing when someone who doesnt even speak your language comes up to you and tells you "that aint art is my home page" and gives you a thumbs up, when you meet people it makes the numbers real...

its kind of weird but in the last couple of years the more I step back from the internet the more success I have had. I think it had a lot to do with the fact I was getting out more and meeting people face to face. Don't get me wrong i still directed them to GA to see more work, but personal relationships and word of mouth are indispensable.

thats bad ass slinger, homepage in Japan. to fuckin cool!
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." -George Carlin

my glassartists site

^^^Which brings up another valid point...know WHO your market is.

Art Galleries, at least the big and well-known ones, don't hang out on MySpace.

*Most* stoner kids/young adults don't go to Art Galleries to look at Contemporary Glass Art either (especially when there is a head shop on every corner).

I personally don't deal with galleries AT ALL, so the internet is virtually ALL MINE...muahahahaaaa! Then again, I love the marketing stuff. I love to design, create logos, post pictures, etc...I don't feel the need to pay a gallery to market my work when that is half the fun for me.

Some people are exactly the opposite.

You can find success either way, once you know where you are going.