The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: New Products

colonel4bin Lurker

Default Re: New Products

wow, this thread actually turned into a worthy conversation, I am with Carlson on some points that learning how to make your own tubing and refining your techniques are very important as an artist and not doing so will hurt you in the end, but there is also a bottom line in any business especially with the rising cost of production in some parts of the country. I always took pride in making my own tubing but no way can I afford to produce my own cobalt tubing when I can buy it for less than $5 a pound.

Just because someone can buy b&w tubing doesn't mean they can make a quality/creative piece like carlson and in the end will only push him to step up his game in a positive way. Prep is what it is and doesn't ensure a quality end result.......this is a bad thread turned good, really got me thinking!!!

quoted from vinny

If you use colored tubing that you bought from someone else it IS lame in the sense that it was'nt entirely your work, but where would do YOU draw the line?
    I might be mistaken, but I thought you told me that the cane on that humongous bub you brought to the Seattle show was pulled in Marcels shop with a glory hole???
    end of quote by vinny..

nope, mistaken... i pulled tubing,striped over 38 sleeved into 50x5 and did reversals for a week, on my delta.

noone is right, noone is wrong, its all subjective...

i'm all for it, but i think it hurts learners rather than help them... if they just worked on their shaping with clear, or fume, by the time they could handle spinning up balls,stacking sections, or even pulling tube cane, they'd have the skills...

if i would have looked at chayes post history before i posted, i would have realized that making prep such as millies and stuff has been your schtick and i would've left it alone...my bad....

also,jr23 i'm proud to not be in 85% that uses mass produced tube...and if you read my earlier post, you'll see the mention of understanding that i used pre made clear tubing...also, you dont need striped tubing to motivate yourself to make a sherlock, just use clear, or frit, or fume and make dozens, you'll have em down before the tubing arrives...have fun,rage,learn, grow...this site is an amazing resource.... sorry if i put a rain cloud in y'alls party...
    Last edited by Chris Carlson; 09-01-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: i spelled resource with an s instead of c so i fixed it...

i would have realized that making prep such as millies and stuff has been your schtick and i would've left it alone...my bad....
    I make milli as a hobby. Thats all. If people dig em and want em thats cool. I just really enjoy making em. So no making milli is not my schtick. Its Just another thing i do.

I believe he meant schtik as your thing.
    2010bc

I hope as I grow in this medium I dont get that anti-newb attitude that seeps out of some of these post you know who you are.

hey chayes, are you the same chris (aka nicholas cage) from agi who made the cool rose cane?

chayes, i meant no insult, i only meant, you like making huge prep, or big bundles of prep... i meant schtik, as, something you like to do...

in absolutely no way, am i anti newb. i give free demonstrations at almost every event i attend, and answer a crazy amount of technical questions, all in hopes of just giving back some of what i got as a newb... which wasnt too long ago... chris

yup gypsea thats me.

Chris no offense taken.

Chayes,
    I really enjoyed those millis i bought from you, thanks!

C Carlson,
    I really enjoyed all the cool techs you shared freely, and all the times you let me come hang out and learn.Thanks!

Looks like you both have been misunderstood here.

Thanks Fred.
    Looks like you both have been misunderstood here.
    Thats the beauty of the internet. We write things that would come off differently than if it were a normal speaking conversation where things are not taken outta context and not viewed in ways other than intended.

Blog Entries

word.
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

Here are the samples that are going out. And as a bonus for us not getting em out in time we are including a extra piece of our most recent pull, also it will show the difference in sizes possible. Make sure to count the lines in it when you get it cause that's how many we're aiming for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample.JPG 
Views:	366 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	13744  

I was refering 2 a vin -e coment that he priced his tubes high to keep the newbs at bay. I think if you can sell your product at a lower price and your only reason is that or to justifiy price of another product seems like a way to lose sale's. Plus a product should be priced on cost+time+profit= Price . And as we all know with glass they tax a hefty bit due to demand!

We have been crunching the numbers and feel that we are going to be able to sell this at a fair price to the blowers and be able to make what we feel is fair for us to do it.

The countdown has begun. I can't wait to see what you all make with the samples. I feel confident enough that your gonna like this stuff i placed the first order of b&w colors and when they arrive we're gonna go with the first run. As of now 80 dollars a pound is what we're looking at for standard color pricing. The more expensive colors will cost a little extra. Ex Tag blizzards, Dichro Ect.

Got my samples today. Let me just say this.... I'm not making my own tube pulls any more!

I got one of the smaller red/white/black tubes, and one of the larger black/white tubes. The are very straight and very consistent in wall thickness. Don't have my calipers, but I'm planning on measuring them tonight before I make some pieces with them. They are VERY thick, though, so they should go a long ways.

A full review will be on my upcoming podcast coming out next month, along with pics of the raw pieces and finished pieces.

i am going to check the mail right now !
    Last edited by jr23; 09-08-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: k

got mine today, gonna try and get to them tonight. small red,black,white. and a rasta tube about 7 inches long, almost 10 mil thick. weighs a 1/4 pound. what green did you use in the rasta chris?

Cosmo thanks for the good words. I'm glad that you like the quality. That is what we've been working so hard to achieve.

Also testers please look down the profile of the tube and check the consistency of the colors.Are they all the same size? Does the internal diameter of the tube look consistent?

I can't wait to see what people are making with their samples. Again thanks I really appreciate the feedback.

Jeff I believe it was clover. We have used pretty much every green from ns and ga with success.