The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: How many hours a month do you work?

Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-20 hours a month

33 14.22%
  • 20-30 hours a month

11 4.74%
  • 30-40 hours a month

17 7.33%
  • 40-50 hours a month

15 6.47%
  • 50-60 hours a month

14 6.03%
  • 60-plus hours a month

142 61.21%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How many hours a month do you work?

Default Re: How many hours a month do you work?

damn not nearly enough, nor choices ,newby and i torch 150 to 200 . minimum of 5 a day unless i run out of oxy .or the damn oxy store is closed

I only stop blowing to sleep. i am serious.... I have a cathater and collastamy bag that I wear when working..... I am making a gather as I type this... I haven't seen my family for 18 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by AVC-Ed View Post
    We are shipping orders in 1-2 days, there have been no reported problems of anything

"Shaping the connection between Art and Agricullture"
    www.Locallygrownart.com
    www.carolinabiofuels.org

0-20
    I normaly work at the torch from around 10 pm to 2:30 am 4 or 5 nights a week.

it is full time at least 50 hours a week

I work 50 hours a week one week then 25 hours the next then 50 then 25,so thats 150 a month.

somewhere between 80 and 120 on a good month...

right now, i have no oxygen or torch so, i'm taking some time off...

but, soon i will wake the gas man up and

my phantom will come which will motivate me...
    "You were born an original,
    don't die a copy."

loosing my mind was easy,
    finding it will be the task...

8-12 hours a day. 6-7 days a week plus I have three kids ages 4,3,and 2, so I figure I actually work about1500 hours a month...( I know that's more hours than actually exist in said month, but ... SO)
    Peace,
    Mike

....Holy Shit!! That guy just cup-stuffed a Kitten!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slinger View Post
    the poll should be, "how many hours a month DONT you work?"
    if im not physically producing glass im answering email inquiries, visiting shops doing business, ordering or going to pick up more materials, working on marketing, drawing an idea in my sketch book, working on accounting, etc......
    Preach on brother man.. less than 200 a month would just feel plain odd to me.. I'm not gonna lie... less than 300 is more like it..
    Find what you love.. Love what you find.

Im like 37ft from my shit and i still cant do it that much wish i could but i only get in 1- 3 hrs a few days a week I have weather issues and I jsut cant stay in front of the fire that long, you guys that do it full time are Pschyo in a good way!

I work most days on torch or else at furnance

Cool Re: How many hours a month do you work?

I'm glad you asked this. It's been a topic where I work.
    I figure out of a 9 hour day at the studio I am ON the torch 5 of those. That's 30 a week. Add in Saturdays thats an extra 20 a month. Around 140 hours a month. Word!
    Last edited by Sebastian; 02-11-2008 at 04:02 AM.
    pick this

O O Re: How many hours a month do you work?

Quote Originally Posted by Headchange View Post
    Preach on brother man.. less than 200 a month would just feel plain odd to me.. I'm not gonna lie... less than 300 is more like it..
    Impressive. That's 10 hours a day every day of the month. When do you find time to sell your glass and purchase supplies. When do you do laundry and walk the dog? How long has this been going on? How do your hands feel? Do you have a girlfriend? Have you ever been known to exaggerate? I am very curious to know....
    pick this

Lol Re: How many hours a month do you work?

Quote Originally Posted by Glassroots View Post
    I only stop blowing to sleep. i am serious.... I have a cathater and collastamy bag that I wear when working..... I am making a gather as I type this... I haven't seen my family for 18 years.
    I like you. You made me laugh.
    pick this

Wink Re: How many hours a month do you work?

Glass blowers blow glass. That's what we do. If it's a hobby..who cares. If your a professional (paying all bills) glass blower working less than 30 ON torch hours a week. Than I give you props and would like to know your secret
    pick this

are talking How many hours of paid work put in or hours total with all the other stuff added time added in?

Cause any biz has lot of unpaid hours of work. and lots of time you are working and $ is comeing in but you aren't drawing any pay for your self and just keep putting what you can back in.

I know working the glasstools end of things and my other stuff. Tho I'm not allways getting paid for every hour of every day. aond working is not allways 12 hours days doing hard sweat grunting labor every min of the day.

But I do start start work as soon as I get up usealy about 7am to 8 ish or so and some times I have stuff that nneds to be attened to. and I chip away at what needs to be done intill its about bed time or time to just know ok you did all you can do today. and I do try to get some chil time before going to bed.

SO I have bben tring to fig out how many hours a week I work for a long long time and I don;t have a clue. tho I did take some part time work to help out a friend at a bar working as a cook for a few months eariler in the year and I can tell you right to the min how many hours I worked per week THERE. during that time. BUt sence I sill maniged to sweeze a full day in on top of the bar a few hours a night a few night a week.
    all I know is from june to december Iworked a lot of hours hear and there and made a lot of $ but put it all together now I know I have x amount of dollars and if I look at it s how many hores of work worth of income it I can't figure it out no way no haw and it makes my head hurt sene no matter what it don;t change the bottom line anyway. BUt I know if I look at it as how much did I earn per week. I can get a figure and I am confortable with it.

So now I'm not going to try and do more work sence the 18 hours a day I have is all I can and evry thing gets rolled over to make the work I do do more productive.
    SO i have a goole to try and get down to 60 hours aweek with and no more. But with the same amount of out put in the smaller amount of time.

Like tools that make things I have to do that take a long time to do that now can be done faster and better. or speshialized for one task but does it so much faster its worth the investment.

I'm getting to the point I work at lot still but its not as rushed of a pace to get the same amount of woork out. and now I have room to DO more work if I had super big order hit me un expectadly, with out having to find 40 hours per day to get every thing done in a 7 day week

:-)
    Numbers are weird whn you can crunch them one way or anouther and come out with a difrent figure.

BUt yet reg numbers never add up or subtract difrent.

But I think My accountant is going to hate me this yer and I will have to tip him good as a bonis if he can tell me how much I made per hour. during what hour..

it gets even crazer IF i try to fig out megs pay verses hours. she has 3 jobs for the school distric and some over lap and is on the lock for one job while she has her other hat on while shes also got a salrery postion. so if she works less then 40 she gets salery and if she works over 40 she gets salery inless shes also doing 2 jobs or 3 at once. then she is even allowed to go from the sallery hours job and be on the paid.

so again we know what she brings in each week and how every hours she worked to get it. but the amount the check says is not the same amount of hours she works in a dy cause there are not enought hours in a 8 our day for her to work.. Good thing its all abouve board or it would make someones head spin..

in the shop 60hrs a week average. while in the shop: i take a fifteen minute break for every hour. take a one hour lunch every day sometimes an hour for dinner too. approx. 25% of my working time is spent working on new techs, shapes, blowing stuff up. refuel once a week and run glass related errands that takes a good portion of the day. i deliver glass one day a week thats usually my day off. spend my evenings planning and research. my girlfriend luckily is very supportive. i couldnt do it like this without her.

60-70 hours a week here in the shop

wow this is old as hell.. heehh I actually regularly get at LEAST 6 hrs a day now.. I guess you guys weren't that Psycho.. lol

lol...glad you cleared that up CripSkillz cuz i just had my hands on the collab you and Lurch just did and i wasnt buying the 1-3 hours a day thing from you...I got to see the one he put together and he showed me pics of yours...awesome bro, those pieces are sick!!

someone else brought it up in a vote , so i'll chime in with 60 +, i'm, reeeeeeeallly slow
    "Never seen it, never bought it now you wanna sell it?
    ^And this guy, fuckin' wants to buy it even....lol.
    I'm impressed."

when in doubt, fuck it. when not in doubt.............get in doubt
    http://www.berningglass.com/
    http://www.glasspipes.org/BerningGlass