The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Let me introduce you to Frank...

Default Let me introduce you to Frank...

I suppose this message is mostly for Roze but I hope it can be a place for others to share some ideas and give her some much needed support.

I think it is safe to say everyone wishes nothing but the best for the Female Flame Off. It is a good karma event that fosters great connections between women in our field...and that's nice to have once a year since we are so grossly outnumbered. The FFO was and is a great idea.

That being said, I think you should get some real help on this Roze. If you don't want it from the women who care enough about the FFO to stand up on their own and try to do something for it, then form your own committee.

Someone needs to speak for the FFO with a professional attitude. You are not doing that. You cannot talk down to people who are simply trying to find out information about your event and expect your event to be viewed in a positive light. Someone should be in charge of getting the information out there in a timely manner. Sponsors need to be proud of this event if they are going to keep coughing up the goods. The glassblowing community in general has to view this as a positive thing. You need them coming to this section of the forum to find information, not to see what the latest drama is. And all postings and websites representing the FFO need to be checked for spelling and grammar. The girl who is banned from all future FFO events should not be the one giving the most information on said event.

The sad thing is, you had a whole group of women at your disposal and you threw them away. Damn straight not everyone involved loved you and thought you hung the moon, but we were all willing to move beyond that to help the FFO thrive. Now, I understand that you feel defensive, especially when it comes to my involvement, but you need to hear what the community is saying to you. Do you not think it odd that the event was smaller this year event though it was on the west coast?????

So, this is my final plea for the future of the Female Flame Off. I want so badly for it to make it. Please Roze, get some help with this. Do it justice

Default Re: Let me introduce you to Frank...

yeaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So maybe that's what this "meeting" is supposed to be about next week. Need to listen to the message again, but seems like this would be a good place to announce such a thing, to get more of a response, don't you think?
    Julz

"Free Your Mind, and Your Glass Will Follow"

Default letz all assume we know whats goin on

hey ya'll i know i said i wouldn't be posting here but i just couldn't resist the urge to comment on the attendance we had this year. the reason why we cut registration off at 20 girls was because this is the first year that we had a 4 hr category and a 6 hour category. most of the girls also registered for more than two category's. so u see the structure of the event changed according to what we wanted. this year we had two bead makers, so most of the woman that came to blow glass made pipes or large structural pieces. this is unlike the first two years because we mostly had jewelry makers and non pipe makers with short timed catagorys. so the negative assumption that the attendance was low because of something wrong that i did is very discouraging. as a side note organizing 20 girls is a lot too. a lot of you may not understand that this event is not put on by a school or funded in any way shape or form. it'z merely a girl/men in drag glassblowing party. it'z not even my event i'm just the fool that raised her hand to do all the hard work so we could all come together. don't fret my friends and fellow blowers we have a crew that is organizing to make it happen every year so we can continue to have funn and make friends, blow glass and give to a charity in need. this event is a joining of the minds every person involved gets a voice so u see this is not like anything u have seen before or would even know what to expect from it. so lets all have constructive criticism and if you really want to help all u have to do is call or e-mail me. all of the peeps that have made dramatic comments have never even been to the event . none has any idea what kind of energy it takes to make a production like this happen. i also apologize to anyone i may have offended my my misspellings and comments taken out of context. but i thought it would be nice to poke funn at those that poke funn at me. this is obviously not the place to do it. i hope you all understand why we do this and how awesome everyone involved feels by having something like this in our glass community. i had no idea, the girls had no idea but when it happens we have an amazing time! contrary to popular belief when someone really needed to step up to do the work i was the only one some times. I had to learn about so many different aspects of throwing this event to make it happen for us and i am a glassblower like ya'll. this has been one of the hardest things i've ever had to do. and we all need your love and support to keep going. we have a team that is helping me and we are going to always try our best but please understand that is a fund raiser that we throw with all volunteers...peace and may the force be with you mofoz

^^^^ I don't normally stick my head in here as I think the whole concept of a female flame off is kinda silly (yes Julz, you've told me your side, I disagree, but I still love you)

But I had to see what the "Drama" was all about....

Seriously nasty (are you Roze?) if this is your public image no wonder people aren'ty sure what to think.

I couldn't read more than 4 lines into your post before my eyes went crossed.

Punctuation, spelling, and proper use of white space are all very important when it comes to professionally representing your organization. Your style of un-broken run on sentences in a large block of small font text is very hard on the eyes and I'm just not willing to read it.

Also don't refer to the people who are trying to support you as "mother fuckers" even if it is just slang, it's rude. Besides, slang has no place on professional posturing.

... I have no idea what happened or didn't happen or who hates who this week and who's BFF till next year, and what various menopause and yeast infection remedies you all come up with at these things - but I can tell an unprofessional front when I see one.

Anyways, I'll be packing my bags and heading somewhere far FAR away from all the women I've no offended now.

Have fun.

*shakes his fist*

-Doug
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Oh, by the way... who is Frank, and why is he in the FEMALE flame off?
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Default Re: letz all assume we know whats goin on

Quote Originally Posted by nasty View Post
    so the negative assumption that the attendance was low because of something wrong that i did is very discouraging.

just to clear it up...and please resist the urge to accuse me of bashing you or start drama with me... i did not even attempt to register for the event due to the poor management of the last ffo.

once again, lets not turn this into a fight...i know you do not take cc very well, but i had to add my two cents and i have been biting my tounge for a very long time.

Passing the Gential Germ around N.C. for over 30 years

Quote Originally Posted by Greymatter Glass View Post
    Oh, by the way... who is Frank, and why is he in the FEMALE flame off?
    frank-FOOTER!!!! *grabs my crotch*

Recognize FOO'!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflybobs View Post
    ...and that's nice to have once a year since we are so grossly outnumbered.
    Calling out a misconception can be dirty work, but here I go....

For the record, according to people I know who I trust would be authoritative on the subject, and my own experience I'd have to say about 75-80% of lampworkers are women.

Really.

I can't help it if so many of you are too intimidated or afraid to work with men. That's a class of sexism I don't have any respect for. I will say that I know a lot of women lampworkers whom I respect greatly and would never dare to try to compete against for fear I'd be made to look like a noob.

So if that's the primary premise for an all female event, then I don't see your point.

Would it be ok if we held a men only flameoff?

...maybe you only consider pipe makers to be real lampworkers, if that's the case, then maybe men outnumber women by some margin... but still.

my 2¢ is free, take it or ignore it and leave it for someone else to pick up.

-Doug
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

yeah if there was a mens only flame off they would be pissed
    all killa' no filla'

hasslnuts has hosted the all mens flameoff at Cuffs for 10 years now.

It's flaming for sure.

By grossly outnumbered I mean those of us who are involved in the lampworking community. I suppose it is possible that what I refer to as the lampworking community here in Austin is the pipe community...the boro community...the community that has glassblowing guns, cuts and burns...the community I belong to. There may be some bead ladies here but I don't know any of them by face or name. I am one of three women here in town who do what I do...Roze and this chick Shauna...Shauna does not ever hang out at any of the glass functions I have been to. I can name countless men who are at least known, if not prominent figures in the glassblowing community that live in and around Austin. Women were grossly outnumbered at AGI. Pretty much all the women I met at the FFO in Philly said they were grossly outnumbered in their own towns and even in their studios. So, what is the problem with having an all girl event to build comradery and get us all together? And what is better than all the chicks who do what you guys love getting together in one place? Seems like y'all would groove on the idea. I wish you would see it as pro-woman instead of anti-man.

Now, all that being said, I would have no problem with an all male event. If anyone wants to put together such an event, I will gladly help you out.

This event was really fun and all the women seems to like the idea itself. I would like to see it keep going. I wish Roze would get her shit together or hand it over to someone who can. It doesn't have to be an all volunteer event that never really quite makes it or comes together.

Oh, I don't see it as anti-man at all.

I do disagree that women are "grossly outnumbered" at AGI or any other event. Outnumbered, sure, but not grossly so. Check out Craig's pictures: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...albumId=950655 Almost every shot with more than 3-4 people has at least 1 female.

I understand your perception of the situation, and I agree that in the boro world men do out number women, but I don't think it has as much bearing when it comes to skill/talent. Nor does it really extend beyond the pipe scene. As for the pipe scene - it is what it is *shrug*.

As for events, I would much rather see them be inclusive - but there are enough female lampworkers that if you all got together and organized on the side could turn almost any flameoff event into an all female event. Just flood the registration.

Also, the first flame off I went to was won by a woman, Dellene Peralta, so again, I don't see the "need" for such an event. If women who haven't experienced it want camaraderie then come to the same events everyone else goes to that aren't gender specific. GAS membership, IIRC, is almost 50% female, come to GAS conferences. A "Women in Glass" Forum would probably go over well with them.

Judging an entire industry within the context of AGI, *insert home town here*, and the pipe scene isn't really giving things a complete consideration.

Anyways.....

I am still figuring out how you could help in an all-male flame off.... fluffer?

As for future events, I don't have any problem with women wanting to get more involved in what's already there.... I just don't agree with a gender specific event like a flame off to do it. This whole excuse of being intimidated by men thing is crap - grow up, or live your life excluded from normal society, but don't empower gender divisiveness in the guise of somehow making anything better.

That's how i see it.

...so gonna be at AGI next year?

-Doug
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

Quote Originally Posted by Greymatter Glass View Post

I am still figuring out how you could help in an all-male flame off.... fluffer?

-Doug

Why exactly would y'all need to have erections???

And I hope to be at AGI next year...I am poor.

We need a reason to want fluffers?

... And I hope you can make it! I want to come out to Austin for a few days some time soon, so I wil hopefully see you one way or another soon.

Tell kevin I said hi (and tell him gun mounts are not CRTs!)

So what do you say to our male event? can I count you in?

-Doug
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

Sign me up for sure...I'll start polishing my technique.

Butterflybobs

Fortunately I have not been subjected to all the drama this FFO has endured apparently but despite the hoop-la, I would love to see this event go on. Perhaps you could start one. As a female glassworker I would love to have glass fun with the girls. I also plan on partaking in Flameoffs of all kinds in the future. The FFO sounds like a good time - kind of like the boys and their beer nights.

nancy

What I really wish is that Roze would hand this event over. I would make it thrive and have the help and resources to do so. I have multiple venues who have offered their space to me. Thing is...Roze would rather run it in to the ground and blame it on volunteers than hand it over to some women who could fix it. And there must be plenty of people out there who think she is doing a fine job or I don't think she could have made it this far. As far as starting an all new event goes, I am a bit too new in this community to get the backing I would need for that. And another all girl event will never fly. But who knows...I have a lot of ideas and a lot of friends.

How would you make the event thrive? Would it thrive if she just hands over HER event to you? Thats ridiculous. Start your own event, quit trying to take someone else hard work and time.

If you have alot less ideas and alot less friends then leave the issue alone. Let her run her event the way she wants. If you dont like the way she does things then dont go.
    And you wonder why I wouldn't fuck you without a condom on...

"The only Art in this business is my brother."
    Jim Mitchell

I wish she would hand it over to a committee...not to me. No one person alone is going to make it work. Furthermore, I have seen first hand how much hard work Roze does as opposed to how much she dumps on the host first hand in Philly.

However, I would make the event thrive by being professional and repairing the bad name she has given it in the glass blowing community. Furthermore, I am not trying to take anything, just trying to convince her to get it together and stop calling supporters mofoz and spelling fun with two "n"s.

I have as much right to say I think she is doing a less than phenomenal job as you do to call me out on it. And I certainly hope you have been to at least one FFO and actually met Roze if you are going to speak up and say anything about this.