The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: antique glass

Default antique glass

this lady wants me to fix this candle holder she has that broke at the top where one would normally put the candle. she said its an antique so i was wondering what kind of glass it may be. i know this is kinda vague but any help would be nice. also she asked me to fix a little angle figurine that looks like one you would get at a truck stop somewhere. it has what looks like gold paint around the top, is this gonna melt in the kiln? do i even need to put it in the kiln to just reattach the wing?

Default Re: antique glass

Good luck. Sounds like mission impossible to me.

But if you are determined to attempt it, I say take off the broken parts and replace with something you can make in toto as a replica and bond to the rest of the piece.

But then you've gotta ask if it is worth it. If it is a "valuable antique" my advice would be to pass on the repair job.

Just because she said it is antique doesn't mean it is. Does it look antique? Is it molded? Look for mold lines. If it is boro (and it could be) it can be fixed, maybe. The angel is boro, I used to fix shit like that. The gold is actually a fired on gold plating of sorts. It will not burn off in the kiln, but will burn off in the flame, and possibly fume like gold does. If you repair the angel, avoid the gold.

I don't fix anything that I didn't make without the caveat that it may break entirely and do it only if they pay whether it works or not.

thanks for the info, i probably wont touch the candle holders. the lady said that "there already broken so whatever happens..happens." so maybe ill try to see if i can.

I always tell people who ask me to repair something "One of two things will happen, either it will be destroyed forever or it will get fixed, but either way you pay". Then if it is an antique I send them to a restorer that does great work or they just change their mind.
    I'm like Blue lily, I don't fix anything that I don't know exactly who made it, or its one of my own.
    rdgdesigns.etsy.com
    www.rdgdesignsonline.com