The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First case what do yall think

Default First case what do yall think

Hey everyone im trying to put my first case together, been selling some as i go though. Ive got about 3-4months time on the torch, but ive been really busy so not that much actual torch time. Oh yea i know how to measure my actual torch time, im about 1/2way thru my third k tank. So what does everyone think, do they look alright? Thinking about taking a case to the shops around town, should i even bother. Im just not sure cause im self taught. I also just got some more clear tubing, so im going to throw some clear fumed ones and what not into the mix, for a variety.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Library - 65.jpg   Library - 66.jpg   Library - 67.jpg   Library - 72.jpg  

Blog Entries

Default Re: First case what do yall think

nice fuming and hobnailing. shaping could use a little work, try pulling some longer stretches on the stems. they look nice and should sell as long as the holes are all right. nice progress.
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

ya, what he said, condense the center and pull it out-you'll save yourself a little glass. If you are going to fume at the end, try getting a nice geometric pattern down, and explore laying the dots closer together, farther apart, bigger dots, etc..

keep it up, imagine your work at 10 k tanks!
    dread cutter

very nice especialy for your third k tank they should mos def sell hows the bowl hole good size or what keep up the good work

fine job for your fist case - keep it up

very nice coloration, focus on shaping now =)

I meant to snap a pic of some the bowls, but yea there a nice consistant size, and centered. I worked out the whole too big too small, off centered bowl holes problem with my previous tanks, and glass.
    I had been making some peanut shaped lil guys with longer stems. And yea i went pretty random on that blue honeycomb thing. I usually lay the dots in some type of pattern, just trying different things out.
    thanks for all the advice already!

Well for reference this was my first case and every one sold. Course this area is pretty dry when it comes to handmade glass. Yer stuff is looking good.

lookin good , keep it up. those should sell if the hole in the bowl is good.

Yea nice pieces gravdigr, i guess im just gonna start crankin out simple little peanuts, everyone always loves a classic!.

Around here the shops love fumed stuff. I've switched from the full color wraps to fumed with color accents and it has increased production and cut costs for color rods.

Also watch if you are selling peanuts to shops. Around here shops only give $5 for peanuts where we get $10 for full spoons. A full spoon uses a few cents more in supplies and takes about the same amount of time to make.

gravdigr, those are really nice peices. They are unusual in that you used crayons for wrap and wrake. Not too many people do that. I think you should be getting at least $8-$10 for some of those even if they are small. Your in Penn. too so that should be taken into consideration as well.

out here wrap/rake goes for $5. You should be stoked for 8 to 10.

ya man lookin goood fo sho

Quote Originally Posted by PortlandGlassBlowers View Post
    out here wrap/rake goes for $5. You should be stoked for 8 to 10.
    There is a huge diference between Pennsylvania and Oregon. In fact I would say that pricewise there is a major diference between Oregon and anywhere else in the country, including California.

Quote Originally Posted by ech View Post
    There is a huge diference between Pennsylvania and Oregon. In fact I would say that pricewise there is a major diference between Oregon and anywhere else in the country, including California.

Yeah in Pa Diggers spoons would go for 25 retail.

Yeah I was using crayons before I really knew how the glass worked. I understand why not many people do it. Tough to keep the boiling out of the color.

And from what I understand in oregon you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a glass blower. Around here it's a 3 hour drive to find any.

Kindglass, where do you hail from?

EDIT: actually the shops I sold them to marked them $30-$40 each....and they flew off the shelves. Shows how starved this area is for glass. I can't wait to make my first heady when my skills are there, people around here have never seen a true heady piece.

yeah grave those are real nice bro!
    be proud of those crayon rakes, that shit is tedious.
    push 8 at least next time you sell

wow!! its cool to see this thread, i forgot about it. well here are some pics of where im at now.!! Glass blowing is an awesome journey. Made these in the past month or so. except the sherly it was around the first of the year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2667_513898518265_217402642_31020421_1377450_n.jpg   2667_513898513275_217402642_31020420_7087343_n.jpg   2667_513898508285_217402642_31020419_6575895_n.jpg   DSCN9152.JPG   DSCN9151.JPG  

DSCN9153.JPG  

Looking Good