The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What to do when people don't believe in you.

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

Default Re: What to do when people don't believe in you.

Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    i'd much rather be happy and struggle for money than be rich and struggle for passion.
    bitchin'

lil' rhody. i know it's small, but it's the motion of the ocean state that matters!

i carry polaroids of my johnson and hand them out with a big grin and a wink..

Quote Originally Posted by Emmett's Glass View Post
    Ask them if they want to join you for a saftey break. Then stop and say 'oh yeah, you have random ua's to keep your job'. then laugh as you rip a big 1.
    E
    Best. Answer. Ever.
    warrenartglass.com

current eBay auctions

our Etsy store

Live with a fierce intent to waste nothing of yourself or life. - PiHKAL

This was a good thread to read. I hope more people respond. I appreciate very much the perspectives.

I have the perspective of the woman in my glass artist's life who needs to believe in him. I really really do, but sometimes I falter for a moment. It's my weakness, not his. He totally has all that it takes to be successful. He's been making a good living off this for 15 years. I know he has mad skills and I am super proud of him. But society and its trickery can mess with your head if you listen for even a second. It's easy to doubt the career choice when all the books and manuals on the topic say being an artist is a secondary career.

Mike has proven to me time and again it is not a secondary career, it's a lifestyle. Even when I falter for an embarrassing moment, he never does. It's so impressive, and I strive to be like him in that regard, to be so passionate about something and be so driven to do whatever it takes to make it work.

No matter what, be sure of yourself. I really hope your fiancee comes around though. I believe that support from her will be invaluable to you, will be what gets you through the really tough spots. I think you should be with someone who encourages it. I hope your fiancee is just having momentary moments of weakness but ultimately believes in you.

Naomi
    warrenartglass.com

current eBay auctions

our Etsy store

You will never make as much money as someone wants you to make, you'll never live up to everyones expectations. No matter how much money you make, you'll never have enough. It's difficult but try not to measure your success from what others think about your career. Chin up man, you're doing it. I really hope your financee comes around too, maybe have a honest talk with her about it? You've got all the support you need, you just need to look in the right places
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    You just don't get it
    get heady

I don't think its the avoidance of insanity in dealing with every thing. but learning how to live with it. and when possible enjoying it.

meh i have plenty of people that have supported me over the years. and plenty of the same people told me to get a real job.

frankly i work on in other jobs i just burn out in a year or two.... so is that really a good option?

Frankly. what most the time when there saying that there projecting there own insecuritys and frankly wanting to do what you do. grass is greener on the other side.

I perfer to be poor and do what i want then i wanna be rich and empty. when i was working on that "making lots of money" path i was sick all the time, aggitated , and frankly violent. my temper was very short.

the last guy who said i should pick up a real job lost his in a job lay off , Ha theres some job security.

you need to get your head right. and your money right. you need to save and build some cash in a bank or something , start making your money work for you too. even when times are good you should budget your income and put as much as you can saved away. also look into diversifying , when glass is slow i do metal work and repairs. its a rollercoaster baby and its not kind to people who dont try to prepare for the rough spots.

and frankly if your woman has issues with that, then ask her why she hooked up with you in the first place. you need support close to home. if she loves you for you, and not your cash.... then it should be a ok. if not road time.

but im single so take that how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by FoggyMountain View Post
    Mostly it has been my mother and now my fiancee. Which makes it hard because i want to prove to her that i can be stable, so what she thinks is very important to me.
    I imagine your mother and fiancee are only thinking of what is best for you. I had a printing business at age 19, and my mother didn't encourage me, either. But I knew that she was only concerned about my future, so the lack of support never bothered me.

Show them your financial numbers so they can see how your business is growing. Write a five year plan for your shop. Not only will that assure them that you are serious, but it may also help you to focus on a long-term direction.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
    Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
    ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com /
    http://twitter.com/ParagonKilns

I have a real job as a registered nurse. I work on a critical care floor, 12 hour shifts 7pm-7am, it is a very hard job. But it sure beats making prodo all day for half the wages and without the benefits I get as an RN. I might leave it some day, but my skills and training as an RN will always be there if I need to 'find a real job' again.
    ~joe c.

People that suggest that you get a real job are basically clueless, and are trying to force you to live by their values and priorities.

On second though, scratch my previous post, as those close to you probably just want what they THINK is best for you.

I like Arnolds suggestions, as they are positive, and will help you progress in your chosen line of work. You can probably assume that Arnold has helped build the company from meager beginnings. So set your goals, make a plan, then do it so that your mom and fiancee can be happy with your success.

I can't believe I just said that...I am going to go barf now...

That is truly some good advice Arnold. I will start on that 5 year plan ASAP. I have been actually been trying to find time to show my past sales on a line graph starting from the first year i began blowing glass to today. It has definitely been a steady increase through out the years. I think a graphic representation of my efforts would be satisfying for myself as well as others concerned with my well being.

All of these responses are very encouraging keep them coming it is all very much appreciated.

Everything is fine as long as you stay single... thats a fact!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emmett's Glass View Post
    Ask them if they want to join you for a saftey break. Then stop and say 'oh yeah, you have random ua's to keep your job'. then laugh as you rip a big 1.
    E
    couldn't have put it better myself...

What is the price one puts on freedom... it is natural for others to fear what they do not understand, and if they have never lived within their own passion you simply can not expect them to understand...

Quote Originally Posted by 909 View Post
    What is the price one puts on freedom... it is natural for others to fear what they do not understand, and if they have never lived within their own passion you simply can not expect them to understand...
    Well said, you have to be able to live within your passion to understand other people living within theirs.
    warrenartglass.com

current eBay auctions

our Etsy store

Quote Originally Posted by 909 View Post
    Very well said. Now i think about it, everyone who has doubted me in the past has been living and working their whole lives to survive and make ends meet and that just about it. So i guess i see how it is hard for them to understand. When i chose this line of work surviving and making ends meet seemed to be secondary to my pursuit of passion and happiness, partially because i was being supported by my parents for the most crucial parts of learning and i can't thank them enough. However now because of their help and support, I am proudly able to provide for myself as well as my loved ones and maintain a certain level of happiness in doing so. This I wouldn't trade for the world.

the more fun i have, the more people seem to hate me. =/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/fadedglassworks

irony = smoking a cigarette in order to check your ventilation system.

I think that with your fiancée's mother... it probably would not matter what job you had, she would always compare you to someone else who is doing better. It is her attitude that is affecting your fiancée and feeding any insecurities/doubts/fears that she may have.

I think that if you put that five year plan together and sat down with your fiancée and explained to her that you do have a direction in life and you're not just adrift taking it as it comes, she'll be able to feel a little more secure about it all. Remind her that you are making it, you are not going under now and the future looks good. She probably needs to hear positive reassurance from you to counteract the negativity she is getting from her mother.

That all said... there are people who are just blue claw crabs.

DId you ever hear the story about the blue claw crabs? Well, here is my short version:

The was a girl walking along the docks watching the fishermen bring in their catches for the day. She noticed that most of the containers they used had lids on them, except for a few. She asked someone why those containers didn't have any lids and the answer was that they didn't need any, they held blue claw crabs. She asked, "Don't they ever try to climb out?" She was told, "Sure they do, but the others keep grabbing them and pulling them back down."

I think that story is helpful to keep in mind when someone approaches you with negativity, putting you down. It's also helpful to keep in mind so that you yourself don't ever become a blue claw crab.
    ~Kimberly
    oxygen concentrators and Momka's borosilicate glass
    Check out my YouTube Channel for videos of torches running on concentrators. I'm working on more, so stay tuned and keep checking.

nickglassdood Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    i'd much rather be happy and struggle for money than be rich and struggle for passion.

+1

thank you all for that , that thread felt good going down.

mmmmm going outside to howl at blue claw crabs and make friends
    it burns it burns!

mattmeltsglass.com