The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Pogo's Killing Spree

Default Pogo's Killing Spree

Well, I have got to start this thread off by saying this place is very educational, and that you glassheads are very cool people.

Since I have learned more from here than anywhere else (At this point I'm a newb) I figured I would document my advancement here, for corrective criticism and so you guys could laugh for a year or two.
    I will also document where and how i got my equipment for the betterment of other newbs.

I have a buddy whos family owns a stained glass studio, and he wants to get on the torch also. He donated a kiln for this little endeavor. I'll get a pic when i can and give you a brand name, as it is not at my house right now.

First, I did some horsetradin for some crap I already owned to get $350 to give to Kool for the redmax and 3 extra tips he was sellin for a friend right here in the members glassifieds. Kool really is cool, and threw in 25+ little points and a righteous handful of shortys and color. I know to you legends thats just scraps, but in a newb's eyes it is like having the keys to the candy store. Since I already owned the crap, my total investment thus far is $0.00!

Then, I was going to Austin to see a concert and made a post asking if anyone wanted to hang and school me for a couple hours. Met local legend Aymie M, and was given an awesome instructional on the redmax. Watched her make the immaculate spoon, then got to make a boro-turd myself. Being the awesome human she is, she bestowed upon me her VERY FIRST pair of didz. Then hooked it up with a torch mount L marver for my new baby. Then gave me her FIRST BOWL PUSHES. Then 2 Large pairs of tweezers. Then some clear shorts so i could fuse rods and use them as punties.
    Some of those sentimental items are prolly worth like a billion dollars, so I am very grateful and owe her BIG TIME. Investment so far $0.00!

Told my uncle today about the tooling i had acquired, and he said he could loan me one of his extra sets of regulators and an oxy bottle and a prop tank (he's got all kinds of shit he doesn't use).

Also, a buddy said hed give me a 48" long peice of stainless that already has a folded front lip and splash guard, with a 21" depth of work area. I'm not sure how thick it is, but it is rather thin. My old man said he'd weld up some legs outta square tubing he has and make a frame on locking casters. Will make top out of hardibacker before attaching stainless top, and hang PVC under bench for rods and tubes. Will take pics as I build this and post. Already have most of the materials, so this project should be cheap. Total cost so far... $0.00!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Pogo; 05-29-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Default Re: Born of the forum (My Tale)

Here is the pipe I made at Aymie's studio. I'll start the ha ha's with "It looks like a whale boner."

*Account on melting pot - zero dollars
    *Free trip to Austin to see death metal show - zero dollars
    *Lots of cool tooling for lampwork - zero dollars
    *making a whale boner that you can show your friends- priceless

*edit - need to mention this is the FIRST thing I've EVER done on a torch
    Attached Images Attached Images        

geez thats ur 1st attempt at a making a pipe? thats awesome ur a natural for sure is that fumed?
    Its the things that people don't notice that makes us, us.

good job on the first,, looks like your going to be having fun..

but I would advise against the stainless just use the hardy backer, stainless heats up and gets your tools hot and makes your bench hot heheh,,, I was so glad to get rid of metal..

Looks alot like my first whale boner!
    Great story

Wow that's a nice first piece! The mouthpiece in particular looks excellent compared to my first try.
    -Chris
    FB

interesting... I've found the people can be super supportive when you're first starting out...

good luck on your journey...

I'm just getting to the point now where I can start to payback some of the favors done for me over the last 4 years...

Wow! Congrats! You're really lucky! Some of us like myself have stories 180 degrees opposite of this for our first experiences- skill wise and ease of learning from others or lack there of. Keep up the good work!
    -Dan Neff

www.nafglass.com

Lampworking on Lake Superior

The meticulous nature of this thread gives me a clue that this will a successful venture for you. Have fun!

^ Thanks to all for your support and comments thus far.

boygotskills- yeah Aymie let me fume that piece with silver. The whole experience was awesome.

cripskillz- thx for the advice!! The thing that keeps me interested in the stainless is the fact that it is easy to clean. How's hardibacker?

easy enuf.. but i dont clean my bench to often.. heheh is your rough or smooth texture?? I have a smooth hardy board. like $7 at home depo only came in 3 x 5 i think but that was perf size to fit in my car too lol

Hey awesome start!!! Just keep making that piece a bunch of time and really focus on getting things even. It may not seem at first that there is much change but believe me, over the course of time you will have so many breakthrough moments that's what will keep you going(and the forum!). It did for me. You got yourself a good torch that you should be able to use for a good while and wont grow out of. The mouthpieces look great too! Nice and even.

7 bucks for hardi board?? I gotta get me some!!! I'm all wood right now! haha

I like your attitude and if people like Aymie and Kool treated you good, that says a lot too.

Looking forward to seeing your skills progress, good luck mate.
    It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    Really.

Aymie says:
    And hate to break it to you, but those were not my first pair of glasses...the set of bowl pushes were what was my first. My first glasses were the pair you wore when you were in the studio. Someone will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands right along with the red max.
    Oops! One(four?) too many safety breaks on sunday. Still awesome to get hand-me-downs from a pro....

Great job dude. Thats honestly a fat hookup to have all those pre pulled points and shit. Sweet first piece, way better then my first 5. Try pointing the bowl up when puffing into it so your head kind of squashes down. and try pushing the bowl away from you instead of towards you. Great mouthpiece, and fume looks good.
    "This is your time. You don't get a second chance. Make it count"

^Thx Bovice... I guess I'm like a GLDG bastard child : )
    Everyone on here I've met so far was cooler than a frozen hippie.

Quote Originally Posted by Searing Sands View Post
    GLDG bastard child
    Sounds like a good user name

When things fall into place easily, I usually take it as a sign you are headed in the right direction... Well done, Bastard child.

^Way appreciating all that positive energy, guys! Im trying to get all my here's and theres together (really could use flashback arrestors) so i can take off!!!! Just hope Aymie's instruction holds up against my short term memory when the time comes for the first sitting by myself piece!

Heat it, fume it, cook in the fume, shape in this order:mouthpiece, neck, head, bowl, carb, flat spot...polish everything...then pull that bitch off the handle and you're in business.

AND NEVER STOP SPINNING!

I find myself spinning my beer bottles in my hand from time to time.

Aymie