The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Titanium Glass Tools?

Default Titanium Glass Tools?

So this isn't as interesting as Cupcakes "Baller Socks" (though I got a couple of his pairs for sale, I only needed one pair... I put them on, and BAM! Im that much closer to being a BALLER! The shit really works!)

My question relates to tools. For Shears most specifically, traditionally they have all been made from tool steel (D2) in which I know holds up to heat and wear very well not to mention fairly easy fabrication abilities.

So what about Titanium? Has anyone seen Titanium glass tools? I know that it would be considerably harder to fabricate, and a slight increase in material cost, but will it hold up in the heat as well as D2 steel??

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    I may even throw a sock or two your way for some good input...

Thanks,
    Scooter

Default Re: Titanium Glass Tools?

my guess is that they wouldnt hold up as well. why titanium tools? the only benefit from them would be weighing less, and be really corrosion resistant. i just cant see anything more.

im sure there are some things that you could make out of titanium to use for flameworking, just not sure what.

titanium only holds up to a few hundred degrees more than steel, and it's a fair bit softer, and so would wear that much faster from scraping on half cooled glass.
    slightly higher melting point and lighter weight probably doesn't offset increase in production cost/difficulty and shorter lifespan on your average pair of diamond shears.
    why do you ask? you have a huge pile of Ti somewhere?
    -f
    I promise to comfort the afflicted, and to afflict the comfortable.
    That I will never accept what I am told.
    That I will never fall in love with safety and forget liberty.
    I promise that I will look for the lie in every pretty story, and the bribe in every convenience.

I'd say wear and cost are the main factors. Also, pure titanium leaves a residue/mark on glass (see: Ti pens).

A titanium alloy might be worth considering.

Titanium jack blades might be something to consider for the hotshop. but either way they'd need wax tho.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Thanks for the input,

So I guess I can conclude that there aren't any TI tools out on the market yet...

I personally thought that the cost would be much greater to fab Ti, though I wasn't sure if it would hold up well. Seeing as Ti is used greatly in the Aero Space industries with fierce and rapid changes in climate (temps), my assumption was that it would hold up well to temperament changes...

Graymatter- you said that pure ti leaves a mark? do you have a reference to this? Im curious to why it would mark up glass...

thanks again,
    Scooter

I suspect it's because it's softer than glass, but I don't know for sure.

I know the Ti pens are made to leave a mark on the glass.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

D2 steel is an amazing material, i would imagine its better for tools than titanium. titanium will def dull a lot quicker and like doug said will leave deposits.