The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which glasses??!!

Default Which glasses??!!

Im new to glass blowning and this forum,and Im looking for some advice on some glasses.

I need to buy a pair of glasses for mostly pipemaking. I am using didymium ones right now but Im starting to use more colour and I need better protection. I was thinking about getting these split lens ones.
    http://www.artglass1.com/didymiumsr.htm
    item number 9135

or else the 923 kind, but Im afraid those will be too dark. My other option is getting the flip up clip ons.

any advice or suggestions would be appreciated?

Default Re: Which glasses??!!

man get some blue ones

...theres only one way to go. AURA LENS. its your eyes man.

quality protection and customer service second to none. buy the best and **** the rest.

The only problem with the glasses you mentioned (from Sundance, no less!!!!!) is that they are not designed for safely working borosilicate glass.

The upper portion of the split lens is just plain didymium or ACE glass without an IR filter. The lower portion is just plain welding glass which does not have a sodium flare filter.

And as has been pointed out many many times, the Boroscopes have totally inadequate IR filtration in the entire lens.

This is a link for technical information on the basic filter types for all glassworkers: http://www.auralens.net/e_gwtechnical.cfm

This link takes you to the general information and ordering pages for Aura Lens Products (my company): http://www.auralens.net/m2_glassworker.cfm

I know those glasses are the best and that is what I really want but I cant afford them right now. What about getting ace-202 glasses and then getting clip on flip up shades to go with them?

Personally, glasses and ventilation are the two things you should spend as much money as needed on. You get the cheap ones you can risk ruining your eyes and never being able to blow glass again. Personal safety is really something to skimp on. I know that they are expensive, but you can get the lenses you need and the economy frames to bring the price down a little.

agreed, when i got mine they were 350 but they will last forever and they are the best. if you get crappy ones now you will still have to get good ones later and then you will have bought two pair and spent even more. check the glassifieds and see if anyone is getting rid of some good ones used

So you are saying I should keep using my plain didymium ones for a month or so and hurt my eyes a bunch just so I will be able to buy the good ones sooner, and its not worth it at all to buy some that are better than what I have now??!?!?! That seems a little rediculous. And again I KNOW that the aura lens glasses are the best things to get but even if I wanted to I couldn't afford them!!!!!!! I need SOMETHING soon. There is absolutely no alternative to aura lenses ?

use your didydiums WITH a welders shade and your fine for now. It's called Ghetto style. I used to get the welding shade from the welding store that fits in a helmet. I scored and snapped the shades in 1/4's and then electrical taped 2 smaller pieces over the didydiums then used sunglass "gators" to help hold up the little bit of extra weight. CHEAP and it works. I like this way better than the flipdowns that are made to go over Didydiums. The flipdowns reflect in between the 2 glasses a lot and it's hard to see. We used to do this before Aura had specific glasses for boro. I've had Auras for years they are good. Definately worth it for now.

If you need a month or so, go to a welding supplier (where you buy O2) they should
    have some cheap plastic #5 welding shades. Use them over your Didy's for that month
    then use the money you haved saved for a good pair of Auralens glasses.

Go cheap, Go blind!

Just putting this out there for those that haven't heard yet.. Plastic welding shades will work BUT they will "fade" over time (LIke a year I think). Glass welding shades last a lifetime. Anyways if you want to use plastic make sure to replace them every year.

ok thanks a lot that's what I'll do

i dont think its rediculous to go to the glassifieds and see if there is anyone with used one that you CAN afford. what i think is rediculous is that you are planning on buying and owning three pairs of glasses, whats the point of that

I'm in the same position right now, using didymiums (sp?) with a welder's shade 3 on the front. My question is, which auras should I get? I do boro work, I use color, and I do fume (not tons though). So much information on their web site. It sounds like the AGW-286 are the ones I need. Is there a possibility of them being too dark? I generally do fairly small work (on a major right now, you know...).

i use the 203 cuz its all i could afford - how soon do i need to go to the 286 - or do i if i rarely do fume work (use a lot of fuming colors though) - what do the 286 have that the 203 don't - thanks -

with the 286's you can get the split lens (HIGHLY reccomended) I have like a shade 7 and shade 5 split with 2/3 of the lens being darker. You can get 1/2 annd 1/2 or 1/3 , 2/3 split.

The difference between the 203's and the 286's primariily is the base lens I THINK.... The website does a pretty good job explaining the differnce if I recall. Plus you can not get split lenses on the 203.

If you feel your glasses are too dark put more and brighter lights in your work area... IT helps tremendously.

i guess i am wondering what the 203 dont provide in just protection - it seams like there are good enough for color boro just not fumeing -- am i messin up my eyes by not useing fume and just sticking with the 203 or do i need to start saveing for a pair 286

The 203's provide most if not all the IR filtration, but are not dark enough for most advanced work (such as fuming, working intensely radiating colors etc).

It is my recommendation, that if you do use the plastic/polycarbonate welders clips, to replace them every 6 months, not every year. A year, especially if you are working 8+ hours a day 6 or 7 days a week, is way too long of radiation exposure, and they will fade past the safe point.

Remember that these are designed as temporary welders filters, not permanent protection.

Mike, what shade do you recommend for someone working smallish beads in a lot of silver-rich colors?
    -Kalera
    The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. (Nietzsche)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckworks
    i dont think its rediculous to go to the glassifieds and see if there is anyone with used one that you CAN afford. what i think is rediculous is that you are planning on buying and owning three pairs of glasses, whats the point of that
    If you start out with what you can afford and work your way up, then you have glasses for your friends to use when they watch you. You can never have too many glasses laying around.