The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: How do you refer to yourself?

Voters
378. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glassblower

161 42.59%
  • Lampworker

75 19.84%
  • Glass Artist

113 29.89%
  • Professional Pyromaniac

21 5.56%
  • Slacker

41 10.85%
  • Flameworker

60 15.87%
  • Other

35 9.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: How do you refer to yourself?

Default Re: How do you refer to yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by gnimelf View Post

All that aside, you wouldn't be making any money from glass right now, if Chihuly hadn't taken glass to where it is right now.
    Whoa ha ho ho, there bud. I beg to differ on that. Dale Chihuly may have made a PBS documentary but he is by no means responcible for the explosion of the lampworking industry. That came about because of the emergence of a stable usable color pallet in Borosilicate glass, the glass pipe industry, and a resurgence in public interest in glass beads.
    Glass had already gotten popular again long before the Chihuly PBS documentarty.

I'm not a fan of the dudes work at all. I went to an exhibition in Florida expecting to get blown away and I was sorely disapointed. I mean its big and ballsy but to tell you the truth I'de way more rather own a Fleming insect than a a big Chihuly peice. In fact one of your bugs stands head and shoulders above any Chihuly piece.

The other thing I don't really like about the guy is that he snubbed the GAS. They gave him a Lifetime Acheivement Award and he didn't even have the common courtesy to show up and accept it. So as far as I'm concerned all the guy has really done for glass is give the lay public the impression the for glass to be respectable it has to be big, which we all know is bull shit.

Quote Originally Posted by onion View Post
    it annoys me to no end when people wanna know *how you get the colour in the glass*
    and then you tell them you do it with coloured glass, and they just dont get it...
    I've told people that I mix food coloring into the glass when its hot and that the patterns just happen when the glass cools and "crystalizes". Usually I'll do stuff like that after answer stupid questions all day long at a festi.

i like the food coloring ech. good one ... lmao

You should tell them that you buy the heat resistant food coloring though.

You should tell them that you buy the heat resistant food coloring though
    Ya you have to make it look as if your still doing some thing speshial and that there reg food coloring at home just won't do it because they are just saps and all they can get is the reg non heat resistant kind. ;-)

I choose slacker. Im not half as talented as most of you and spend most of my shop time procrastinating instead of actually work. Maybe if I fired myself, the next guy wouldnt be so lazy.
    David :: If i weren't supposed to burn them, God would not have given me fingers

Generally I refer to myself as cody, even though most people just know me as that kid that blows glass.

u forgot
    "glass pimp"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Glass is a love affair !!!

Does the noise in my brain bother you ?

Quote Originally Posted by dellis326 View Post
    Try to educate them without making them feel like shit because they threw out the only glassblowing name they knew.
    well said, I usually refer people to Glass Artists.org. That blows most peoples minds, including mine. We all contribute to GA.org but its the presentation of diversity that makes it so overwhelming and powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by AVC-Ed View Post
    We are shipping orders in 1-2 days, there have been no reported problems of anything

"Shaping the connection between Art and Agricullture"
    www.Locallygrownart.com
    www.carolinabiofuels.org

i refer to myself as that guy

in the third person

i as well get tired of the blank stare reaction to the terms "glass artist" or "lampworker" which is my most accurate answer. but i also get tired of the sicko looks i get if i explain by saying "glassblower" eww some dude gave me the creepiest vibe / comments recently about "blowing the glass" no thanks. just say artist. i know i know what is an artist. and who is this dale chihuly. kidding!
    but seriously then if someone is interested in learning more they can ask what medium you work in, you say glass, they say chihuly, you say yes chihuly has definitely been a major player of the studio art glass movement of the past century. isn't it exciting! here's why:
    in a class i took recently from an artist considered by chihuly to be the "...greatest and most interesting paperweight maker that has ever lived...." this exact subject came up. during this class discussion, we put it together like this: furnace work is past its prime, the best of it has been done. but we as lampworkers are engaging in an artform that is in the early stages of it's prime...the possibilities are endless and the creativity is still catching up to the materials and technique...
    so. let's take it to the next level...

thats a good point
    Bringing more firearms than a school of burning squids

http://glasspipes.org/heinousglass

whoa this threads from like 1952

when I mix coke and whisky I refer to myself in the third person.

i use the term glassblower, it's just easier to explain than lampworker.

Dale Chihuly CREATED The Pilchuck Glass School,this way more than any documentary that he's done or art for that matter is what makes him one of the major people responsible for the resurgence of glass art.

Founded in 1971 by glass artist Dale Chihuly and patrons Anne Gould Hauberg and John H. Hauberg, Pilchuck Glass School has been a primary force in the evolution of glass as a means of artistic expression. By creating an environment with a singular focus on glass, access to resources, and an ever-expanding international community of artists, Pilchuck has become the largest, most comprehensive educational center in the world for artists working in glass.

1952 was a good year - speaking from out-of-body experience, of course.

"... in 1952, [Albert] Einstein was asked to be Israel's second president, but he declined."

wave tecnician [beach bum]

I am refer to as "Sparky Tha Pimp" STP was a name givin to me way back in teh day by my buddys, as most people in town knew that and i wore out the hottie list in my old town, the legend lives 10 miles away in my new town

oh ya i forgot to tell ya this has nothing to do with glasss ha