The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Linking Oxygen Generators

Default Linking Oxygen Generators

Hey guys. Maybe i'm just new and idiotic, but my master says that when you link oxygen generators, only the lpm's are cumulative, not the psi's. I'm not sure if i understand this concept. I'm running a GTT lynx on two ex-5's (5 PSI, 5 LPM each.) But when i use my ex-15 with the lynx it seems much less powerful. And when i hooked up three ex-5's to the lynx, the third concentrator won't take all the oxygen. Someone please help.

Default Re: Linking Oxygen Generators

when hooking up multiple concentrators, they should have the same psi rating, and only the lpms add to increase to overall volume.

i.e. two 5 psi 5 lpm oxycons will produce 5 psi oxygen and somewhat less than (5 lpm + 5 lpm) total oxygen volume.

If the psi on that 3rd oxycon is less than the other two, then that oxycon will not contribute much to the total volume.

You seem like a knowledgeable artist, what should i do about moving a GTT phantom from the lynx? I love GTT torches so there's no doubt in my mind that its what i want, but for oxygen what should i do? Im not sure if tanked oxygen is quite in my price range. But I could run two ex-15's to start out with or five ex-5's. The reason I'm so confused is because of my experience with the lynx, it seems much much hotter with two ex-5's then with one ex-15, which leads me to believe that GTT's like more LPM's and are more forgiving on PSI's. But some other posts say that phantoms like to be run at 30-40 PSI? I'm stuck in a rut once again. But thank you for answering my first question, metalbone.

This is what you should do. Compress your own oxy from your generators. See the pics of my 60 gallon setup. 2400 liter of oxy on hand. I can rage on my delta for 2-3 hours and not use all of it up from 2 Ex-15s
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 60 gallon.jpg  

If the 2 ex5's are better than the ex15, sell the ex15 and use the money for something more usefull, like a K tank or two. You can still use the 2 ex5s on the centerfire of a phantom, although it will be lacking compared to tanked on teh centerfire.

To run a phantom, especially the outter fire, forget the concentrators, many here have already tried that and found that tanked, LOX, or the trey cornette O2 holding tank pressure booster system are the only way to go. 30-35 psi on the phantom is good.

Do a search for Homefill II and you'll see the O2 system I have, which easily handles inner/ouuter of the mirage, phantom, or top/main of the redmax. Trey's system offers a good cheap (relatively speaking) way to go but you will have to do it yourself and scrounge for parts.

The quickest way out of that O2 rut and the cheapest is to just decide to rent one or two K tanks, pay the oxyman a $20-30 bucks per fill, get a cheap oxy regulator from harbor freight for $30, and fire it up. You can do that this weekend with less than $150. Then your oxygen problems and rut will then be in the past. This really is the simplest way to go with the lowest cash outlay.

The guy I work for has linked three ex-15's on a phantom and seems to be doing fine. Is he just running it no where near full capacity?

flaming balls, care to share more details on your setup there?

flaming, nice friggin set-up. Which oiless are you using? Can you also provide details (plumbing and parts) on the pressure control system?

I'm using a Gast 1/2hp which is too much ummpphh for the job should have gone a size or 2 smaller as the 16 LPM from the EX-15s caused it to starve for air and heat up more than it should. Also the smaller ones would be a tad quieter as this one was pretty damn noisy till I shock mounted the compressor and isolated the feet and bolted em to the floor. Now its real quiet till it starts straining for air but its still much more livable.

The plus on the extra HP is the compressing to 135 PSI in a 60 gallon tank is unbelievable reserve. Trey gave me a few heads up so i figure I owe it to pass on what I can. I'm thinking about making a 20, 30 and 60 gallon version for sale because I love the concept so much.

I just hated dragging K tanks into my basement and out at 2-3 a week (I can't get delivery here at a residential address ) driving 20 miles swapping etc. I haven't used a tank in 2 months and love it. Made a 2 1/2" boro marble the other day and took the 60 gallon pressure down to 50 after 2 1/2 hours of raging torching.

Not bad! Been toying with the idea myself, have the compressor but still looking for a tank, 30 gal is more the size for me.

30 gallon is nice cuz you don't have to bolt it to the concrete, but the reserve sucked me in. Which compressor did you get? Also be sure you follow the cleaning protocol to the letter. And if you find some fittings with oxy threads on one side and 1/4" NPTM on the other grab some for me or let me know where to get them. definitely something hard to find so far.

i've got a thomas 688 series. can you explain the cleaning protocol?

If you are talking about the holding tank, I figure a couple rinses of solvent to remove any oils followed by complete evacuation/vaporiztion with the compressor and air only. Same for the fittings and hoses. Once vacuated and oil free, then i can move to O2.

On the fittings, my local airgas has a wall with tons of brass fittings, i recall seeing a "b" for oxy and 1/4" npt.

It's the pressure control system for turning the compressor on and off that I'd like info on. Care to elaborate?

The pressure control is pretty easy. You need a pressure control switch that shuts off at 100PSI (or where ever you want it to shutoff) make sure it has an unloader on it or you'll burn the compressor up really quick. Then connect your 120 / 220 lines to the internal fittings, you will probably need spade compression fittings to do this. Run those out to a 4 gang plastic 120 outlet you can put on the floor or mount on the wall and thats your on / off for your generators. Make sure you have a one way adapter from your pressure side of the compressor to where it goes into the tank.

Cleaning is like this 1 cycle of Denatured Alcohol, 1 cycle of Acetone, one cycle of paint thinner. Follow those up with 3 rinses of HOT soapy water, 2 rinses of warm warm and you are good to go. You will need about a gallon of each. Pour them in swirl them around by spinning the tank 50 - 100 times you need to get a stick and a scrub brush to stick in the hole in the tank and scrub the inside on each cycle. Watch that you get brush not effected by the solvents. Clean all you parts in the same thing, put it all together fire it up and you pretty much have it.
    Last edited by Flaming Balls; 12-03-2009 at 11:42 AM.

FB, u rock! Thanks.

Dichro, sorry for the highjack.

Damn, FB, I wish I could rep you again. Thanks for all of that really helpful info.
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

Oh and just to be clear this is just a blog of how I did mine. If you do yours wrong and blow yourself up don't call me I don't endorse doing this yourself nor does my lawyer

Ha!

for sho looks good to me but i hate compressor sound other wise id think bout it

very repworthy, props FB! would be pretty rad if you posted more pics of your setup along with all those awesome details. there are a lotta folks that would benefit from the knowledge you're kicking down here, kudos!