The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hey guys new here!!! soon to be blowing glass!

Default hey guys new here!!! soon to be blowing glass!

hey guys and gals hows it goin! my name is matt but some of my buddys call me hippi ( because i have long hair, not because im a real hippi lol) im 24 and from riverside California and have always been interested into glass and all the art that comes with it from the lil bead to the crazy sculptures.. and in a week or 2 ill be ordering my glass blowing kit from sundance its the 420extreme kit and ill be upgrading the torch to the red max.. i cant wait to melt some glass! pulling and twisting stringers, pipes, pendants, beads, rings, and pretty much everything i can think of!.. all of you are a inspiration that makes me want to learn more and more... i love fire, i love glass, and i love art, and i cant wait to be a part of the glass community... thanks for taking the time to read my post

peace
    hippi

Default Re: hey guys new here!!! soon to be blowing glass!

You'll save $ if you buy your redmax here on the glassifieds.. they go for like 350. then buy your own regs and tools.... get stuff more directed at what you want and have more $ for glass and gas.

hang around long enough and you'll learn a ton.

Welcome.

welcome to the forum Hippi.....it's a great place to learn and bounce ideas around as well.

Welcome!

Sideshow isn't steering you wrong, Sundance really kinda sucks. With their kits you'll end up paying more than you need to for a bunch of stuff you don't really need, or that will need to be upgraded anyway (like the glasses). Read some of the other threads from people starting out, and take a look around at some of the more respected suppliers before you decide what to get.

I second Sideshow and Hoss on that one.

I got my startup from Sundance, I've used everything in it, but only used 1/3 of it my first year or so, The glasses are a no no lol, and their tubing has come twice broken or scratched in my experience
    I let my dome rock while I let my erl drop

Welcome. Enjoy the show.

Hey hippi, nice to see you here too. Welcome!

hey guys thanks for the info and concerns about sundance... ive only seen 2 other suppliers which was wale apparatus and winship designs.. one of them have a kit i like cause it comes with the CC lol but so what you guys are saying id be better off buying everything separately... maybe ill look around for another kit or if you guys have any ideas that would be awesome!!!! cause it seems kinda confusing for me to buy everything separate right now since im still learning all the tooling names and such...

what didnt you use in the sundance kit? i feel that its the most complete kit for the money but than again im new and you guys know what your talkin about so i trust you...just kinda a bummer to here bad stuff about sundance ive had my eye on that kit for about a month now.....

thanks for the info guys it helps a lot!!! now i just gotta find a website that has pix of the tools the sell (still dont know all tools be name yet...i need picture books lol)

thanks again!

peace hippi

It is overwhelming at first...... Lots of Cali blowers on here, maybe someone can show you the ropes.....
    I know sundance is tempting with it's "we sell glass pipe tools" section, but you'd be overpayin'...... Get a tungsten pick, some claw grabbers, a little square of graphite, some tweezers and a bowl push..... and of course torch,gas, and glass.
    You'd be surprised at how complete of a set that will be.
    Do some research on here about blowin' without a kiln.... you'll see quickly why you'd want to save $$$$.
    I'm still a newb, but this place has shaped my decisions GREATLY..... saved me a ton of cash, and these guys got the answers to it ALL.... If you wanna see pics go to the members glassifieds and look for hand tool sales.... Don't let that $$$ burn a hole in your pocket, make an informed purchase.... or this is you

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    It is overwhelming at first...... Lots of Cali blowers on here, maybe someone can show you the ropes.....
    I know sundance is tempting with it's "we sell glass pipe tools" section, but you'd be overpayin'...... Get a tungsten pick, some claw grabbers, a little square of graphite, some tweezers and a bowl push..... and of course torch,gas, and glass.
    You'd be surprised at how complete of a set that will be.
    Do some research on here about blowin' without a kiln.... you'll see quickly why you'd want to save $$$$.
    I'm still a newb, but this place has shaped my decisions GREATLY..... saved me a ton of cash, and these guys got the answers to it ALL.... If you wanna see pics go to the members glassifieds and look for hand tool sales.... Don't let that $$$ burn a hole in your pocket, make an informed purchase.... or this is you
    ya looking at it that way the kit might not be the way to go...but if thats the case and id be saving money buyin tools and torches separately then do you still think the red max is the way to go torch wise? i see a lot of talk about the gtt torches, but hear there not really for beginners? the lynx seems like it would be small compared to the flame on the redmax though..any one work with the cheetah? i know whale apparatus or winship has tool kits for 135 or so... lol damn i thought i had it figured out...back to searchin lol is there a supplier that you guys prefer?

scratch the cheetah idea lol
    Last edited by hippi; 12-11-2009 at 01:17 PM.

On account of my inexperience, I'm gonna let someone else guide you in the right direction... I've seen GTT's and they are great!!! The lynx does have a small flame, though... After all my research, I went with a redmax.... Am confident it's not something I'm gonna grow out of soon.... And some of the people here do some crazy shit w/one.
    Anyway... Someone else with experience on many torches should chime in...
    and as for suppliers, I hear good things about generations, and members here get a 10% discount!

generations seems pretty cool... there wonka kit2 comes with a red max, some tools and glass...for a good price... would have to add some tools like bowl pushers and claw grabbers or maybe just add there tool kit... thanks dude generations prices are already better then sundance...

if anyone else has some tools i should look into let me know! thanks guys!

Im running a nortel major/minor and it's a pretty sweet introduction torch, Im new as well (you might recognize my name, from the district) I like the little lazer flame I can make lol

Quote Originally Posted by ModderXtr View Post
    Im running a nortel major/minor and it's a pretty sweet introduction torch, Im new as well (you might recognize my name, from the district) I like the little lazer flame I can make lol
    ya dude i thought i reconized your name! where did you order your stuff from? did you order a kit or just pieced it together? is your main torch square faced? if so how do you like it? im super close to ordering everything and i cant wait lol im going to this thing in laguna beach called the sawdust festival hoping to see some blowers in action! i feel like a 5 year old waiting for santa to bring him a big wheel haha...

Generations get's a 10 up in my book, great prices, GREAT PRODUCTS, awesome shipping and price matching

I work a Nortel major square head, Get the red max lol, It's WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY less radiant heat than the square head, which I think in turn equals out to a more evenly distributed heat base with your candle.

BTW I have rocked a nortel for 3 years, never needed to switch until I got into making BIG bubbles for bubler bases and shit. Now I am considering getting something bigger but hey, my Major has been my best friend in glass since day one lol (aside from the forum that is)

***A lynx is an awesome torch but doing Big thick work will take for fuckin ever, I can do a spoon in about 20 minutes (iso or encase) on my major, but the lynx took me close to 45 min everytime due to the limited overall flame area. Great torch though, works colors and fumes WAY better than my nortel ever has.
    I let my dome rock while I let my erl drop

Quote Originally Posted by hippi View Post
    ya dude i thought i reconized your name! where did you order your stuff from? did you order a kit or just pieced it together? is your main torch square faced? if so how do you like it? im super close to ordering everything and i cant wait lol im going to this thing in laguna beach called the sawdust festival hoping to see some blowers in action! i feel like a 5 year old waiting for santa to bring him a big wheel haha...
    I actually got my torch from another blower online, The Rev, and it's an awesome torch. Yes it is square faced on the main burner.

the carlisle cc is also a fantastic all around torch... Its a shame no one recomends them really anymore, all caught up in the gtt triple mix hoopla. I started on a nortel major minor and quickly switched up to a carlisle and never looked back at the nortels. Not saying they arent great torches, i just hated going up and down from the major to the minor it drove me nuts. I still havent found another torch that can fume as nicely as the carlisle... plus you can find these things used for about 600$ I see them on ebay and craigslist enough that you shouldnt have to hard of a time finding one....

well i was just lookin at the generations web site and was doing some price comparasons and the wonka#2 kit with some extra tool comes out to like 1140.. but if i get a Bethlehem Barracuda and but the add on tool kit for 130 and some extra tools it the price comes out to like 1089...cheaper!!! BUT....would it be a better choice? i did like the idea that the wonka kit comes with some color rods....but the Bethlehem Barracuda seems pretty sweet!....

let me know you thoughts

peace
    hippi

I've been working on a barracuda for several years, it can definitely handle anything you'll be doing. The flame isn't quite as big as a red max, but there is a LOT less radiant (wasted) heat, and it can still handle some pretty big stuff (check the gallery link in my profile, everything there from 2007-09 is made with one.) And having a center fire instead of the over/under setup is really really nice. Not a bad choice at all. If you wait for a used one to come up, they usually run about $600-$650. Actually, there's a lightly used one with a cooling system up for sale right now for $675 HERE

Also don't forget to leave room in your budget for a kiln, you won't be able to do much without one.
    Last edited by HOSS; 12-13-2009 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HOSS View Post
    I've been working on a barracuda for several years, it can definitely handle anything you'll be doing. The flame isn't quite as big as a red max, but there is a LOT less radiant (wasted) heat, and it can still handle some pretty big stuff (check the gallery link in my profile, everything there from 2007-09 is made with one.) And having a center fire instead of the over/under setup is really really nice. Not a bad choice at all. If you wait for a used one to come up, they usually run about $600-$650. Actually, there's a lightly used one with a cooling system up for sale right now for $675 HERE

Also don't forget to leave room in your budget for a kiln, you won't be able to do much without one.
    nice dude thanks for the info! im really leanin towards the barracuda now! the center fire does seem like a big plus! and the flame being roughly the same size as the redmax but with a lot more flame charteristics then the redmax... whats the biggest thing that can be done with the barracuda, or thickest i should say? im guessing the barracuda can do more then the redmax?