The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how to handle fundraiser requests?

Default how to handle fundraiser requests?

while i am all about suporting extremely worthwhile causes, it is very difficult to live on a glass artist and musical artist's earnings and continually experience requests for donations of glass art and musical performances.

i think that in many cases, this results in the artists donating more financial value than the attendees (who are supposed to be at the event to donate/raise funds) ( and who are in a better financial state than said artists) . so yes, i find this frustrating. actually as i type this, eddie is out playing(with no compensation) a silent auction fundraiser that i donated a glass piece to (without compensation).

meanwhile, we have a big stack of bills that are calling our names.

we want to help do all we can, but it gets overwhelming. i wish fundraisers would learn to pay for all the costs of their event, including art, music, food, drink, venue, etc. and then the funds they generate over the actual cost become their actual "funds raised/donated"

so what do all of you do?

Default Re: how to handle fundraiser requests?

I give away all types of glass possesions (sp.) to a point where others feel it's unhealthy and "too cheap" in return for their graditude. Usally I'm one cigar up and people feel obligated to cigar me back even bigger and better than before. In return (because I'm so thankful of the jestor) I give them something that's "no big deal..." and the cycle continues...........Slick
    Don't trouble Trouble unless Trouble troubles You!

Default Re: Pittsburgh NORML Glass Fundraiser

I have a bad habit of wanting to donate .. for any cause that I feel suits. When realistically I know doing so will be difficult. However at the time of decision love, passion and true want for the cause to succeed (even if its just for a smile) seems to stand out more.. and I find myself with a constant list of things I have to make that I probably won't get paid for fairly if at all.. but that is what donating is. no?

As much as I'd hate coming off as money grubbing.. IF I had more natural 'business' skills.. I would be able to put more towards the things that seemingly go against business..

I'm still in infancy trying to get a grasp of this money thing...

...and not unlike the rest of you.. no money, overdrafted account, no phone, no inspection, bad tires. expired insurance, almost out of propane, penutbutter and honey..

but then I just walked away from my job and jumped in the deep end.

I only have myself to take care of though so I don't stress as much as some of you (though maybe that is the problem.

And I still want to donate?

Gypsea, we are in the same boat. Would you like to buy some boat sealant?

The last time I donated, it ended up leading directly to about $260 in sales. A photo of my pendant was put on a community website, a secretary from the place i work saw it, and I was asked to bring in a display for a day... just before Christmas.
    I think it's important for the people asking for a donation to ensure as many people as possible see the item and know where to get one. In that case, it's a no brainer - advertising for the cost of a pendant.

Blog Entries

charity begins at home.
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

i hate when i donate it and they sell it for nothing. i once gave a $50 vase to a charity auction at a craft show i was vending at. by the time the auction started it was later on a sunday and no one was really there, so they started the bidding at .50! nothing worse than hearing your nice vase sell for $1.

i'm always gettin asked to donate. i always have something sitting around that i can donate. i look at it like it's an advertising cost. not only has it brought me new business from individuals , on 2 occasions store owners saw my work and approached about carring my stuff. if i think it'll be a big event and i'll get alot of exposure, i'll make something special .
    "Never seen it, never bought it now you wanna sell it?
    ^And this guy, fuckin' wants to buy it even....lol.
    I'm impressed."

when in doubt, fuck it. when not in doubt.............get in doubt
    http://www.berningglass.com/
    http://www.glasspipes.org/BerningGlass

yep its all about choosing the right ones to donate to . I have had some turn into crap and selling work for way cheaper than should be , but I have had some turn into great money from collateral sales .

WE had a kids bowling tournament last month, and to raise money for the club, I donated 5 pendants and 3 prs earrings, half hour of my time, but I have several hundred pendants lying around, so it wasn't a big deal...but Eddie should have been paid for that gig, and if you donate 1 piece, thats not so much, but if they ask for a lot more on top of Eddie playing, thats too much. I don't get called upon that much to donate, a piece for the library in exchange for a pic in the paper is the best advertising I could have got for free(minus the donation) I got several calls about people wanting to come to the studio to see and purchase my work, so for me, it worked out ok. Summer is a coming and hope you still do some displaying at the pier

I just donate shit that i don't like. the stuff that is fine but doesn't meet my approval. other people love it and it helps a good cause. Its a glorified way of disposing of my trash/seconds............
    Quote Originally Posted by AVC-Ed View Post
    We are shipping orders in 1-2 days, there have been no reported problems of anything

"Shaping the connection between Art and Agricullture"
    www.Locallygrownart.com
    www.carolinabiofuels.org

1) Is it indeed a fundraiser?

2) If asking for pipes, is the area they are going to legit? Or are we looking at potential fallout with names on a list in the hands of round two of witch hunting?

3) By participating in this fundraiser, would it be damaging to the local artist economy by taking away potential sales of fellow board members?

4) Has the fundraiser any merit in helping glass artists?

Something along those lines would be a place to start I would think. Just sayin'. Not trying to suggest the mods do anything, not suggesting anyones posts aren't legit. Gypsea and I just noticed something, and asked some questions. Because we care.

Go back to your feel good stories about donating. I'm sure the save Aura Lens donatathon will be a great success. Send butt plugs and such.

Those are all good points...

I kind of have two "buckets" of thought on donations. There are some causes I don't mind donating to at all and do so happily.

Then there are other events where if I donate it's purely selfish because I know it'll be good advertising and help ME later. Whether that skews the karma wheel or not I don't know, but a good deed is a good deed.
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

Good advertising is no fun when it gets you a bucket of shit!

there not that shitty, its just stuff that I wouldn't want to sell, still high quality and all though. good point menty
    We are shipping orders in 1-2 days, there have been no reported problems of anything

www.Locallygrownart.com
    www.carolinabiofuels.org

sorry that post wasn't directed at anyone. just be wise were you choose to donate certain items and their destination as in certain regions of the country

naw ,naw, we cool ( gives you daps )

You can also give gift certificates to the charities your not as enthusiastic about giving to. Nobody ever uses those things

www.Locallygrownart.com
    www.carolinabiofuels.org

^^^ genius......gift certificates.
    "Never seen it, never bought it now you wanna sell it?
    ^And this guy, fuckin' wants to buy it even....lol.
    I'm impressed."

when in doubt, fuck it. when not in doubt.............get in doubt
    http://www.berningglass.com/
    http://www.glasspipes.org/BerningGlass

Just be careful with the GC's; different states have different rules on them. For example, unless they changed it, here in MA they're good for up to 7 years from issue regardless of what it says on the back (unless that says longer)
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.