The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gemstone compatibility

Default Gemstone compatibility

Does anyone know if there are any other gemstones besides Opals that are Compatibale with Boro?
    Megan Holleran
    718 369-3900
    megan@tecnolux.com
    www.tecnolux.com

Default Re: Gemstone compatibility

Cubic Zirconia

They aren't gems but . . . tektites and moldavites.

(f*&^ing hippies ).

Cooneys are compatible with boro, and they're real gems.

Do you have to heat any of these stones first to use them with boro?
    Megan Holleran
    718 369-3900
    megan@tecnolux.com
    www.tecnolux.com

Also, what are Cooneys?
    Megan Holleran
    718 369-3900
    megan@tecnolux.com
    www.tecnolux.com

Like Fred said, CZ's (Cubic Zirconia) is something I've tried, put them in a tube first (I heard they do the same thing with opals) and gently condense it down to encase the CZ.

You can then place that on the front of a pendant more easily because it has a cut face and you have to set it in position so's you get the best looking face towards you.
    It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan_at_Tecnolux View Post
    Also, what are Cooneys?
    My name is Harold Williams Cooney.

I talk a lot of sh*t.

(hippies are easy targets cause they do stuff like weld rocks to the side of their pipes)

Anyone know where to get cut CZ? And the other stuff, besides ABR w/ the Moldative.
    Quote Originally Posted by TlkQ
    [Also, if this gets me an infraction I'll wear it proudly. Fuck this Canadian metal-huffer and his negative-Nancy attitude.]

cyanite or something like that, I have also encased a lab created emerald but it changed to brown but didn't crack, i've tried all kinds of stones and the opals still work the best. some work better when preheated.

dude harold you just don't get it, these hippie rocks have magic powers......

it just so happens i was researching a similar topics yesterday. here's some threads.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...ight=synthetic

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...ight=synthetic

its may not be the gemstone lead you want, but many gems can't be used. there are however flame fused synthetic gems that have been created using elements that boro contains. all i can say as i got a side project in the works.

ive tried real red garnet- it turned blk but no cracking at all, even bench cooled

i heard a rumor that any place that pays cash for gold is a place to start looking for CZs. they wrench out the zirconias with needle nose pliers and throw them away, keeping only the gold plated stuff. haven't tried it yet tho.

seems to me that a clear CZ encased in clear would pretty much disappear. anyone want to chime in on this?

I used up the CZ's I had in a short series of pendants about five years ago, here's a close up of the only picture that remains. The gem was 5mm across the flats.

Although it looks cracked and distorted in the picture, the magpie bling effect was pretty good and it didn't stay on the shelf for very long before it was sold.

One of these days I'll score some opal chips, they look neat, I think Erik at Vaporglass was selling them a little while ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0699.jpg  
    It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    Really.

May be i'm doing it wrong, but do you guys have any tips on working with cz. I've never got it to work with out shattering...

i tried to incase a small diamond but ended up droping it and loosin it...i kicked myself... then i thought a penny might work but it just melted when sitting on the hot glass lol.. you guys know those forged metal cheap rings some stores sell there normaly like a skull ring or a viking or devil face...i was thinking those would make good tools for making impressions in the glass then fuming and incasing or something...would just have to weld a handle to the ring...i thought it might be worth trying...just gotta find a place that sells them
    Who are you to judge the life i live? i know im not perfect and i dont live to be but before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean--Bob Marley

www.stickam.com/hippiglass

^ fairly classic technique. you'll want brass or maybe a stainless would work. most will be made with very cheap alloys, and will more than likely melt or stick to the glass. maybe some beeswax will help.

i saw this moldavite and this orange cyanite at abr what ist it and how can i work wit it attach it to a slide for example or a pendant?

kind regARDS FRANK
    discovering something new in the glass world every day..haha

Could always go with the cig ash encasement and pawn it off as burned out dichro (I would never but I think we all know schiveyness runs rampant)
    -= Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny =-

Orange kyanite and Blue kyanite works real nice too, I am always using these for the universe style things, I think they look cool as meteors encased in their...

I have tried some different kinds of micha(spelling) but it only fuses to the outside with my technique the kyanites work best inside for my technique I use.... just heat or warm up glowing and push in then scrunch the clear glass around and over it, ultimately encasing it...

then of course you know copper mesh and wire is as well compatable in their and interesting results can come from copper inside...

copper may not be considered precious but its still made of whatever minerals and has unique properties. also whatever they put in that glow powder has to be some sorta mineral but prolly not a GEM so as to speak of.

I hope to always learn more about as many happenings I can, please keep us informed and show pictures of your cool results.

thanks