The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: claw grabber modification

Default claw grabber modification

... since my other thread went SO well, i thought i'd throw another one out there..

instead of the normal claw grabbers out there, i bent a set of mine for spoon and bat moutpiecing, so i don't have to wait for them to cool down before I grab them.

the bent down part of the tines are longer, so i can reach past/over the hot end, and grip farther up the piece.. it's simple, but it'd be nice to have some made this way instead of my half ass bent up ones..
    a bit thicker than standard grabber tines would help the design.

here's the pic:

--seth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails modified claw grabber.JPG  

Default Re: claw grabber modification

Right on. Good stuff.
    kik LTD.lukethedrifter
    tcbbyltd@gmail.com
    IG tcbbyltd_lukethedrifter
    Standard TCB $300
    Add by pass $340
    Add stage $590
    add stage with bypass $630

why would you have to wait, just wave the metal tips in the flame a bit first, wont that do it for ya?

people still use claw grabbers for pipes?

Frankie Hess Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by hashmasta-kut View Post
    why would you have to wait, just wave the metal tips in the flame a bit first, wont that do it for ya?
    I think he is talking about the piece still being hot enough that when he grabs them it dents the piece, this is a great solution for anyone pumpin serious production.

How is that possible? After I do the push carb and flat spot the piece is already cooled down enough to grab with claws. I do flash the claws in the flame for a second tho.

Ive just never had to reach around a molten spot to grab the piece, what kind of situation would this be Seth?

This would work really well for those deep honeycombs that the regular claws just cant get around, the extra finger length would help with grabbing the pipe better.

Judging by the illustration up there I think he's talking about onies not spoons..
    Quinn The Eskimo Designs

Facebook [Most up to date work here usually]

"Flower implosions are for sissy behoches, I am not a sissy behotch."
    -Funksizzle

onies this works for better than anything else, since the bowl is the last thing i do before mouthpieceing. these will work for many other things.. if you have them!

yes, i do use this for spoons, and if something's still not hot on the spoon head, you're not moving fast enough =) seriously though, after my spoon head, it's almost cool, but i often have a bowl wrinkle to polish.. i put on the claw, then polish through the claw, then mouthpiece.

frankie, thanks for translating and filling in my blanks.. i have 2 kids under 4 years old.. you guys are lucky i speak halfway coherent.

hashmaster, exactly as frankie said, this is to avoid denting hot glass..

glassnewb, yes, i (and i hope tons of other blowers) use grabbers for basically all their production. i even use grabbers on 1 pound spoons and i've used them on double bubblers.. i can't stand using a glove or pad or combo thereof. they're cheaper, they don't fall apart, and they allow easy perfect rotation for spoons and bats.

--seth