The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help a brotha out! : Update

Default Help a brotha out! : Update

So, if this is the wrong place to post this mods please feel free to move it, this is just where I made the original post so I figured I'd stick it here.

Well, it's been a few weeks since I originally posted looking for help with high hopes but low expectations (I seriously figured I'd be flamed off the site ), and I wanted to come back and let everyone know how things have been going.

First of all, let me just say that far from being flamed off the site, I can't even begin to express the outpouring of support and good will I've received. It totally just boggles my mind how many of you have either sent or committed to send me supplies, and how many more of you have given me good wishes and moral support. I can't tell you all how much of an impact this has had on me, and how motivational it is to have so many of you believing in me and cheering me on. It really just goes to show the true depth of character and quality of people make up this community, and I can't begin to express even a fraction of my gratitude. You are all the kind of people this world needs, and if there were more like you than we'd all be living in a better world.

Moving on, I want to especially thank a few of you individually for the supplies and tools you've sent so far. I've received a box of clear tubing blanks, mixed color rods, and some color tube from Mearsglassworks, thanks a ton man, it's sped up my process like crazy to have premade blanks to work with! I met up with Chayes at his shop in Rutland VT and he sent me home with a BUNCH of 25mm tube, 4mm rod, and a box of shorts and broken pieces of his handmade color tube, as well as a small piece of URANIUM GLASS and a piece of one of his handmade millifiori, you rock man, it's been seriously great figuring out how to use all the odds and ends you gave me, I think it's really forcing me to become a better glassblower! And last but ABSOLUTELY NOT least, GlassBlowingBiker who, sight unseen and never having met or spoken to me before this, shipped on loan halfway accross the country a National 8M torch with rider! Dude, you are a friggen saint, you have totally stepped up my game and allowed me to do things I've never been able to do before, I really have no words to express what this means to me.

There are more people who have offered to send glass as well that I'm still talking with, I'll keep posting as things come in, and even though I'm really starting to sound like a broken record I just want to say THANK YOU ALL SOOOOO MUCH! I'm planning on sending some of my work to everyone who has helped me out here, so expect to get something coming your way as soon as I have myself on track and going strong.

Ok, progress report time! So far I've managed to significantly speed up my work and refine my pieces, and the supplies and torch have been DEFINITELY getting put to good use. I've been busting out pipes like crazy, and I'm thrilled to say that I sold my first batch to a local store just last week! While I'm definitely not rolling in the dough yet ;P I was able to keep myself in o2 and propane and to pay a bill or two, and my daughter and I haven't had to starve yet (well, my daughter anyway, I might still lose a couple pounds but hey, I need to anyway ), and the store has told me they're very interested in buying more as soon as I can make them, and I also have a few other locations yet to try. I'm almost done with my second batch, so things are really looking good!

This has all been absolutely amazing for me, to have something so hard and bleak turn into such an amazing opportunity is really a miracle, and to be finally making some money doing something that I'm truly passionate about is, as far as I'm concerned, living the dream. None of this would have been possible without your help and support, so you should all be seriously proud of yourselves, you've made a serious difference in the life of this particular starving artist. So for now, may your tanks be always full, your glass never shatter, and your colors never burn! Keep on torchin!

Default Re: Help a brotha out! : Update

Default Re: Help a brotha out! : Update

wow that is reel reelly a great tale! i lov it- good for everyone- be proud....
    goldy