The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: blowing carb

Default blowing carb

recently i have been adding extra glass to the pipe before i blow out the carb so that i have a colored carb...(http://www.glasspipes.org/Gal13472_11_2005_Dry.asp) i know that a lot of people do this and i was wondering what the best way to do this is since sometimes the carb comes out a lot easier than others...do you blow a hole and then drop color ontop and then blow it out again? or is it better to just puff out the first layer till its almost popped, and then drop the second blob on? do some people actually coil pot a small bubble and then attach it to the carb hole and then blow it out again?

Default Re: blowing carb

i usually spot heat where i want the carb, and puff it up a lil thinner w/o popping it.....then lay the extra glass on it, heat it up, press it out flat, then spot heat again, till it's well fused, and blow my carb.
    it just takes so damn much blowin to get a hole popped in a thick piece if you don't thin it out first (i usually have the bowl done by the time i place the carb)
    -f
    I promise to comfort the afflicted, and to afflict the comfortable.
    That I will never accept what I am told.
    That I will never fall in love with safety and forget liberty.
    I promise that I will look for the lie in every pretty story, and the bribe in every convenience.

I personally like to pop the hole where im gonna put the carb. I usually make it a bit bigger than i would make a normal carb hole and get the gob of color screamin hot and put it in the hole and blow into it while holding the tubulation in the flame. As far as I know that is the proper term for taking solid glass and blowing it out hollow. It help to put a reamer in the bowl hole while youre blowing.
    You can get some really cool effects by rolling the color gob in frit first or even using cane instead of a solid color.

I coil a smaller color rod onto the blown out hole, like a 4-6 mil rod so its small enougth to coil that tiny and not clump up.

i just heat the color/clear up rippin ghot and heat the point where i want the carb real hot also the put the two togather and puff tadah instant carb. takes practice to get your heat bases right but works great for me peace brett

if you do your carb before your bowl hole.. there's less messing around with having to plug a hole.
    i poke a bowl hole with tungsten after pushing the bowl though..

for nice pieces with bigger carbs, i make the carb separate and attach.

for my other work (which is fairly thick) i pop a hole first, then coil the color around the hole.. heat and blow. this way you have to be a little more careful to not get acute angles or lumps on the inside.

sometimes i do the hot blob method, but that seems to take me longer to gather up the right amount of color (for clear i usually have the larger rod handy though)

anyway.. z---seth

I coil.... could never get the glob method to blow out on center consistantly enough for my liking.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

yeah that's caled an 'italian seal'

thanks for all the responses, this is way more info than i expected