The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Do You think OxyCons are the Future of Lamping?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES: majority will use An Oxycon

78 53.42%
  • NO: People will stick to Liquid

57 39.04%
  • Other: what will people use for oxy in the future?

11 7.53%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Opinion Poll:Do you think oxygen concentrators are the future?

Default Opinion Poll:Do you think oxygen concentrators are the future?

Ok so I Personally cannot justify one yet, But im seeing them pop up more and more, and Im wondering how many people think this will become a part of lampworking like getting your liquid, or K filled is right now.

Edit: I forgot to say why i think oxycons will be the way people lampwork in the future. As the technology grows, and it becomes more affordable to concentrate oxygen on the scale to run any torch with no problem, then it would be dumb not to. Say you can go to store and buy an oxycon that will put out 30-50psi, for say $1,000. Considering it would be of a reasonable size, NO larger than any liquid setup.... and if it wasn't too loud, I think it would be the perfect choice. and if you wanted a tank or 2 for the road, it could also fill tanks in a few hours. That would be my optimal setup...and i dont think its to far fetched to think its possible.
    Last edited by frillcappa; 01-30-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Default Re: Opinion Poll:Do you think oxygen concentrators are the future?

Oxygen generation and concentration technology has been around for a long time.

And for that long people have chosen tanked.

And I don't see that changing.

For many reason.

I don't think oxy-con's will replace liquid in totality. And I don't think oxy-con's are the future as they are now designed, however someone will come and fill the void with a unit that is more powerful and better suited to lampworking , and glasspiping, till then there will be DIY builds like the ones you see here, which is what I will do cause liquid is just to far, and expensive for where Iam at. I will always keep a back up tank, for the road. But as for me I will make my on oxy, for several reasons. And if I can figure a way to go bigger, Better, then awesome. Till then I will link compress and whatever I need to do to these oxy-con's to have my on homemade oxy on hand all times!.
    " I'am a Visionary, but Vision is scary!"

liquid all day, everyday.

if shit goes wrong with a rented dewar, then it is the gas co's problem, not yours. a replacement is only a phone call away. instead of isolating the problem and replacement time of the problem part. it sucks to be out of work due to technical issues

Speaking as someone who's never had a K-tank filled (for himself at least ) there's no way I'd do anything else, unless the situation demanded it.

My system cost a total of about $500 and for that I'm running a CC+... sure, I could go for another concentrator and tank, so I could rage even more, but it wouldn't be worth the hassle for me to deal with a gas company and have dewars delivered and move tanks around just to run my single torch.

If I were in a much larger environment, though, I don't think there would be any other way but liquid... I could see running two torches on a concentrator system but not more than that... part of the reason my system works so well is that the low pressure storage (from 100psi or so) gets used while I'm raging the outerfire, but recharges any time I'm using the inner. The sheer size of the system required to run a bench would be too large not to see the benefit of a single dewar. From concentrators to storage tanks to compressors, and the electricity consumption thereof, a dewar would be much more economical and feasible.

But, for the home user, I don't see any reason to deal with hauling tanks around or doing much more than hitting a switch to turn your torch on. I don't ever run out of oxy, either, which is a lovely bonus

oxycons are the future of glass blowing in space.
    hear on earfth i doubt it.

however:

if we are able to use nano-technology to develop "the perfect selective membrane" then after the original patent for that expires - absolutely.

i would like to see a poll. how much $ does your oxy-con add to your power bill.
    what is the power consumption of those things anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by l33t:weasel View Post

i would like to see a poll. how much $ does your oxy-con add to your power bill.
    i didn't notice the change in power bill when i plugged in the oxy/con. so i'm gonna say it's minimal. it's just a lil digital sreen and a tiny compressor.

the future, doubt it.

personally i'm tryin ween myself of my oxy/con. a few property modifications and work out the logistical nightmare of the winter/snow. , and i'm movin on to liquid.
    "Never seen it, never bought it now you wanna sell it?
    ^And this guy, fuckin' wants to buy it even....lol.
    I'm impressed."

when in doubt, fuck it. when not in doubt.............get in doubt
    http://www.berningglass.com/
    http://www.glasspipes.org/BerningGlass

Once you can rage your torch with free oxy you know. Oxycons work, they just dont come that way. someday someone will sell the setup, untill then my homemade system runs a phantom and carlisle cc all day. One day no glassblower will have to go to a weilding shop for 25000psi oxy when all we need is 20-30psi. Free oxy is everwhere.

how long does the bed in those things last? if its really that easy on the power-bill i would consider buying the next one (3) i see for cheap. but i dont expect it to become my general solution for oxy.

how long does the bed in those things last? if its really that easy on the power-bill i would consider buying the next one (3) i see for cheap. but i dont expect it to become my general solution for oxy.
    One of my 'cons is at about 27,000 hours. That's 3 years of continuous operation, or about 13 years of 40 hour work weeks...

Of course, they are not entirely maintenance free. The compressors need to be rebuilt after every 12,000ish hours of use, and there are various other parts that need to be replaced more frequently (various filters and fittings) but they're designed for medical use, and intensive use at that. The beds seem to last as long as they're not abused (don't drop them or run above max output, lower output means better oxy concentration anyway) and they can be repoured for $100 to 200 depending on the model...

with one or two you could run a centerfire, but with 15 or 20 lpm of flow you can power a torch if you compress it. IMO it's most worth it to do it that way.

Like I said, I'll keep a bac up liquid, but as far as price, even buying the shit retail and all the fittings and BS your are still going to way ahead of the oxy game making your on, Look the people your buying it from are making it so why not you, plus who the Hell wants to lug heavy Dewar's around or even smaller tanks if there's no need?

Now if you got a hot shop in a city , town , metropolitan area and delivery is free , and you are running 6 stations all running Kobuki's then of course liquid is for you. I think as far as quality goes you get as good making your on. Look at all the Artist's work around TMP who are using just oxy-con's, stoker, gnome, Trey, sweettooth...etc just to name few look at the work they put out and some if the pics of there torches running. Some haven't bought oxy in years and have been payed back many times over. I started looking oxy-con's as soon as I realized acouple months back that I wanted to be a Glasspipe Artist, now I have 3 oxy-con's 2 5' s and a 10, and I have less than $360 with all three of them put together( not easy to do, and expect to pay more, but is possible), now there not new,(one almost is) or hurricanes but the point is you don't have to spend thousands of dollars right off the bat to get oxy, it would be easier but not required. Just Alittle patience and time which go hand in hand. And also goes with my Laidback and chill style, so works for me!, ....

Oh yeah one more thing I wanted to give a big public Thx to all mentioned above and the many more contributers to oxy-con's, and there setups, it has been Awesome information, and Iam truly grateful!.

I ran 2, 5lpm ones for 2 years for 7-12 hrs a day 5-6 days a week, they each ate 800w which is 1.6kw per hr X that by the 18p(im uk based) per kwh
    Simple math averages 50hrs x 1.6kwh x 0.18Ppu= 14.00 per week to run with lower purity and only 10lpm coming from the hose. Add to that the original investment cost of the 2 machines @ 250 each = 500 & (50 weeks work) @ 700 per year without any maintanance costs thats 1200 a year for a setup that wasnt giving enough lpm to run a mirage ( I had a lynx) or enough purity to not reduce sensitive colours.

Im a bottle (soon to be lox) customer I produce more work from less hours in front of my torch now, feel less frustrated at the end results and have more time to spend with the people I love (which is a big part of me deciding to go full time with glass) and more time to market my & sell my work( ie lollygagg on facebook).
    I can work larger easier (on the Lynx as well as the Mirage). It seems from my own case study I made the right decision to get away from the chugging noisy bastard little machines.
    Part Man, Part Beast All Boro

Pendants Sold 4000,000,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by Sweettooth glass View Post
    Once you can rage your torch with free oxy you know. Oxycons work, they just dont come that way. someday someone will sell the setup, untill then my homemade system runs a phantom and carlisle cc all day. One day no glassblower will have to go to a weilding shop for 25000psi oxy when all we need is 20-30psi. Free oxy is everwhere.
    your quote got me thinking

if the oxycons were as reliable and efficient as the commercial oxygen suppliers' equipment then producing oxy on location may be cheaper due to the fact that it doesnt have to be compressed or liquefied for transport or be transported. i also wouldnt be surprised if the largest expense in commercial oxy mfg is the labor and infrastructure.

i would like to see one made with the mind set of old farm equipment; slow simple overbuilt; to accomplish huge amounts of work with little wear. the low pressures and simple mechanisms of oxycons i could see lending themselves to being built that way.

I think eventually someone will come up with a complete system that will run any torch for an affordable price, at which point the majority of lone wolfs will move to the generators, however liquid will remain the standard for shops running multiple stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    Don't fuck up the 'honey hole'

Facebook

^^^^^^ Xactly, somebody besides me must of voted other, as they are now maybe not the future, but someone (and it would not suprise me if it were someone here, hehh heh) will be building these oxy-con's suited for glasspipe art and lampworking, make no doubt when there's a void it will be filled, where there is market it will be made. Till then oxy can be made by yourself. Done right it's very safe. I know there are people right now with more talent than I who are working this out as this is written.

Once it is built and marketed at a reasonable price then with the exception of large operations I would say more whould produce there on, especially the solo artist. For me I am all about self sufficiency. So it goes without saying that I'll always make oxy. I can find plenty of cheap oxy-con's to keep me going till I can make my on bigger /better system. Or who knows maybe I will be the one to invent a oxy-con capable of keeping up with acouple viper's at full rage, I've seen stranger things happen right before my eyes! There is no doubt in my mind someone will do it! Hey if Bates can make a working all glass torch you can believe there's plenty of talent around here to make a commercial concentrator .

we have been running a single concentrator and a compressor. it's rated at 50%. we can't rage 24/7 but running two torches for a few hours each day without the hassles of going to the welding spot has been great. my shopmate has done the math and barring any unforseen failures, it should pay for itself in 2 years. the place we got it from hooked us up with some free replacement parts and had terrific customer service. i'm happy for now.

my idea is a hydrogen generator. take water and use electrolysis to separate it into its individual components.
    there is already a small jewelers torch for melting silver and soldering and what not that runs by plugging it into the wall and filling a tank with water. i want that on a bigger scale.

well i have done the math a few times and at about 6k to run just my delta im going to stick with liquid for now
    Pres and founding member of Noah
    new memebers wanted

Vote: YES.

I'm looking to negate screw ups that cost me money, so I think it is in MY future for sure. Every once in a while I'll mess up and not order the liquid in time. Then I'm stuck buying K tanks for a week - which is REALLY expensive compared to liquid.

Other times the oxy company is at fault when they give me liquid dewars that bleed out leaving me oxy-less. I work every day, and if I miss a day I lose $$$.

Last factor is residential delivery. I would eventually like to build a shop and move my setup to my home. But the oxy companies say they will not deliver to a residential neighborhood. Making my own seems the best way for my future.

Quote Originally Posted by gn0me View Post
    Speaking as someone who's never had a K-tank filled (for himself at least ) there's no way I'd do anything else, unless the situation demanded it.

My system cost a total of about $500 and for that I'm running a CC+... sure, I could go for another concentrator and tank, so I could rage even more, but it wouldn't be worth the hassle for me to deal with a gas company and have dewars delivered and move tanks around just to run my single torch.

If I were in a much larger environment, though, I don't think there would be any other way but liquid... I could see running two torches on a concentrator system but not more than that... part of the reason my system works so well is that the low pressure storage (from 100psi or so) gets used while I'm raging the outerfire, but recharges any time I'm using the inner. The sheer size of the system required to run a bench would be too large not to see the benefit of a single dewar. From concentrators to storage tanks to compressors, and the electricity consumption thereof, a dewar would be much more economical and feasible.

But, for the home user, I don't see any reason to deal with hauling tanks around or doing much more than hitting a switch to turn your torch on. I don't ever run out of oxy, either, which is a lovely bonus
    Are you still running an oxycon in your system? If so what size concentrator are you running and what sice compressor?