The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to wipe the kiln dust off your glass before finishing in the flame?

Default What do you use to wipe the kiln dust off your glass before finishing in the flame?

I just use a dry paper towel REAL QUICK but there has got to be something better that's less likely to leave a smudge mark on the glass.....Slick420
    Don't trouble Trouble unless Trouble troubles You!

Default Re: What do you use to wipe the kiln dust off your glass before finishing in the flam

Buy one of the graphite kiln liners to lay down on the floor of your kiln. I vacume it out once every other week or so and you won't have kiln dust issues at all. Before I had the kiln liner I used my high heat pad, or just some cardboard to wipe dust off

Default Re: What do you use to wipe the kiln dust off your glass before finishing in the flam

a kevlar glove. blue one to be exact. just sits in front of the kiln. my dog chewed the other one up and the inside of the one we use when he was a puppy 12 or 13 years ago. works great for the kiln dust.

x2 on the kevlar glove, but I just use one of the smaller ones that look like a standard glove (i.e. not one of those big oven-mit things). It works great, but you just want to swipe it really quick- if you burn some kevlar onto the glass it can leave an annoying stain.

Still that kiln lining is probably the best way to go, I've got to grab some one of these days.....

Roll newspaper into a 6" long tube tape one end for a handle, cut a few little slits up the un-taped end use like a little broom. all marks left burn off immediately.
    **THERE IS A TIME AND A PLACE FOR EVERYBODY'S TASTE** CEE-LO GREEN

I use what Emmett gave me as a great tip a while ago; he said to use a strip of brown cardboard like the box your tubes come in. Tear off a strip and use it like a scraper to wipe off.

I also keep a piece of rod placed across the kiln floor so that work can rest on it and doesn't touch the kiln floor.
    It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    Really.

leather, it burns off

the yellow kevlar glove i get them dirt cheep,$3.00 for 6 pair.

kevlar glove
    monkey grippin'

brown paper bag works for me

kevlar sleeve or a $20 bill folded in half
    Part Man, Part Beast All Boro

Pendants Sold 4000,000,000,000

i've been thinking about making a bed of quarts rod on the floor of my kiln so the dust doesn't get on my glass in the first place.

Yellow kevlar glove.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    kevlar sleeve or a $20 bill folded in half
    Damn man, Uriel is a high roller. I was gonna suggest a dollar bill.
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

black high heat pad or glove

I have seen more and more people wipe kiln dust off with their fingertip these days but I'll stick to the good old yellow kevlar glove. My wife uses the cardboard edge thing but I find that the cardboard doesn't quite pick up the dust as much as just arrange it into fine lines.

Where do you get your yellow's @ glassguy/bls?
    " I'am a Visionary, but Vision is scary!"

I've always wanted to buy a black high heat pad....I've seen one once and they slightly nicer than the yellow kevlar....Thanks for all the replies
    Don't trouble Trouble unless Trouble troubles You!

paper towel.

jeans. Wouldn't a paper towel just instantly go up in flame?