The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Not a glass lathe but student dies in chemistry lab in a wood lathe

Default Not a glass lathe but student dies in chemistry lab in a wood lathe

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2...f135149346.txt

NEW HAVEN -- A Yale University student from Massachusetts died in an accident Tuesday night at the Sterling Chemistry Laboratory, Yale officials said this morning.

Michele Dufault's hair got caught in a lathe, a piece of machinery that spins very quickly, and it pulled her in, sources said. The Connecticut Medical Examiner’s office reported that she died from accidental asphyxia by neck compression.

Yale President Richard C. Levin, in a statement issued after 5:30 p.m., called the incident “a true tragedy,” and said he is initiating a “thorough review of the safety policies and practices of laboratories, machine shops, and other facilities with power equipment that is accessed and operated by undergraduates.”

Levin said Dufault’s body was found by other students who had been working in the building. He did not say what time the discovery was made. The president said the students called police, who responded immediately. Fire officials reported being called to the scene at 2:33 a.m.

Levin put Steven Girvin, deputy provost for science and technology in charge of the review. Until that is completed, Levin said Yale College will limit undergraduate access to facilities with power equipment to hours that will be specified by the end of the week. He promised monitors will be present at these times in these locations.

“The safety of our students is a paramount concern,” Levin said in the statement.

Dufault’s parents came to the campus Wednesday and will return before the end of the semester for a memorial service to honor their daughter.

A New Haven fire official said the department responded to an emergency call at the lab at 2:33 a.m.

When examined by fire personnel, she reportedly had no pulse, according to officials who turned the scene back over to Yale police.

Dufault was found sitting at a metal lathe with her hair wrapped around part of the machine. A lathe is a machine used for shaping wood, metal or other material by way of a rotating drive that turns the material being worked on against cutting tools

Default Re: Not a glass lathe but student dies in chemistry lab in a wood lathe

RTFA

It was a metal / machine lathe.

...pppff.... wood lathe.....
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

"The Yale marching band, in which Dufault had played saxophone, played her favorite selection, Nirvana’s “Entertain Us." .....Think they meant "Smells Like Teen Spirt" (couldn't help it.....child of the nineties)

I'd have thought just ramming her head into any available corner, ripping her pants off then wham-o! would have been less traumatic for the young lady and considerably more enjoyable, to boot.

Surprise sex at it's best.
    It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    Really.

Terrible way to die! Haunting to think about what happened in her last seconds of life.

Hey douge the first article said wood lathe. These half ass reporters have been updating the story all day. Dont you have a degree? Maybe you should start a newsgroup for the board and you can update it by the hgour lol.....

seen a guy get his long ponytail get wrapped up in a drill press, ripping half his scalp off. Oh the blood! He lived and all, but I never saw him again. Another guy (same machine shop, different department) stuck his hand in the auger for a screw machine to save some piddly 5 cent part from getting lost, hand was ripped right off. He came back 6 months later and worked for a year or so doing quality inspection, then quit. My buddy was the lucky guy that got to fish the hand out of the chips bin.

At another place I got to see the aftermath of what happens when ya wear gloves while using a big ass belt sander. I had just got back to the shop from a road service trip, came in the back, went past the bathroom and seen a trail of blood leading out the john and into the shop. One of the neanderthals done ground his thumb all the way gone. Not cut or ripped off, fucking sanded the fucker off.

Seen the fresh corpse of a co-worker (didn't know him, was first week on the job) He was knocking off the top row of tie-pins (whatever they're called) on a fresh concrete wall, walking on the top of the wall and going along. He ended up bailing off the end of the wall and landing on the rebar for the next section that was sticking up out the foundation. Went right through the heart, he was killed pretty much right then and there.

Yep, seen lotta bloodshed on the job, got all kinds of stories. I am very very fucking lucky to have all my digits, no serious debilitating injuries (aside from a fucked up back)

Fuck factories. Fuck hard labor. Shit aint worth it, stay in school kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    Don't fuck up the 'honey hole'

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by ALIEN! View Post
    Fuck factories. Fuck hard labor. Shit aint worth it, stay in school kiddies.
    "Face front you got the future shining
    Like a piece of gold
    But i swear as we get closer
    It look more like a lump of coal
    But it's better than some factory
    Now that's no place to waste your youth
    I worked there for a week once
    I luckily got the boot"

-The Clash "All the young punks (new boots and contracts)"
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

A week before I finished my apprenticeship this old bloke who'd been working the same lathe for the past fourty years, he was just about to retire but just keeled over right there next to his machine. Dead as you like.

So I said fuck that, that ain't gonna be me, I finished my time, did six months in the machine shop to finish pay off the loan on my bike and I was off like a robber's dog.
    Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
    ... and I was off like a robber's dog.
    The fucking English and their absolutely awesome turns of phrase.
    www.nocoastglass.com

Okay, I guess the Australians and they're absolutely awesome turns of phrase (of course, Australia got it's non-aboriginal people from somewhere, so I'm not all wrong).
    www.nocoastglass.com

Meaning; if you thought a robber could run fast, his dog can run even faster :o)

'As fit as a butcher's dog', meaning; he gets to eat all the meaty scraps, so...

and here, I often hear the phrase; "The English can curse so pretty".

As you admire my turn of phrase (thank you for that), so too do I admire oratory prowess of my Australian cousins.
    Really.

Yeah i am from New Haven (yalesville) and just read about this... what a horrible way to go....

-morgan

anyone with a glass lathe they wanna sell me??

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Hey douge the first article said wood lathe. These half ass reporters have been updating the story all day. Dont you have a degree? Maybe you should start a newsgroup for the board and you can update it by the hgour lol.....

Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

/\/\/\/\ LOL

Don't taze me Bro!
    Insert witty glass comment here----->

"hollow", a haiku:

boro color lies
    transparent shows you the truth
    make one hundred first

-Bunyip

That eagle has a little penis.
    www.nocoastglass.com

I love it... haha Good one douge. I though you were goin to link to your newgroup.

Damn that sucks. These machines will one day kill us all.
    Anyone know yale's scientific glassblower, Daryl Smith? I bet he had something to do with this....