The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sick of it

Default Sick of it

Maybe its just me but Im sick of seeing all these wig wag reversals and rettis, seems like everybody and their moms is humping these techniques dry. Which sucks cause I really like making rettis, not gonna lie though, I can wig-wag but my reversal game is not top notch yet. Maybe Im just craby. I've been sitting in a hospital in Rochester for the last week and I should be on the torch. (Im not sick, its a loved one). Maybe im just craby.

Default Re: Sick of it

make something else. make it big, everyone will forget the reversals and retti's then once what you do gets big, you can go "old school" and do some retti/reversal stuff

I think not of the technique but the ability to use the technique in many products.....

i would check out bi polar
    2010bc

lol, is this serious? you should stop blowing glass if you sick of reversals, and you should pick up knitting if your sick of ratichellos

Try fuming with some Lithium instead!

First, I wish your loved one good health.

Second, I have been lampworking for a dozen years and I can assure you the feeling you have about glass right now are totally normal. Everyone goes through chapters like this. This is not the last time you will feel this way.

My advise to you is don't blame yourself for feeling badly. Look for what these emotions are trying to teach you.

It takes a very long time to learn - years and years - that lampworking is about you. It's about what you think and about who you are. It's about seeing what you see and feeling the way you feel and most importantly it's about having a method to do something with those understandings.

Because you are a lampworker you can - in physical reality - make something of yourself.

Fuck what other people are doing. Be yourself.

What you want, the way you see it, that's what's important.

Be honest with yourself. Jealousy, envy can be useful rather and positive things when used correctly in the glass shop.

This is a hard job. When it comes to issues like what you are talking about it gets harder the longer you do it, sadly. Your mind is asking you if you want this, if you really want this glass thing.

Cause it's hard. Painful. Embarrassing. Depressing. Infuriating. Belittling. Humbling.

What you need to be asking yourself isn't how you see techniques played out in the market at large but do you really, really want this in your life.

As soon as you decide that you do, the feelings and problems you have will disappear.

To tell the truth of your heart is harder than you might thing. Do you really want this glass thing in your life? Cause if you do, many painful realities will have to be faced.

You can do it.

colonel4bin Lurker

HWC speaks the truth for sure, great advice.......like he said, making glass for a living is by no means easy and we all question ourselves. If you don't like reversals, don't make them, but sometimes we have to live with what the market demands when there are bills to pay......I'd love to rock out paperweights and chandeliers all day, but when it comes down to it that reversal will sell much faster and for more money comparatively.....

Can you provide instructions for fuming with lithium? We are talking about batteries right? Should I wear gloves? ? ? ? ? ? Sorry Newbee here

^^
    Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank.

experiments with thermodynamics:
    http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35157

Quote Originally Posted by hwcglass View Post
    First, I wish your loved one good health.

Second, I have been lampworking for a dozen years and I can assure you the feeling you have about glass right now are totally normal. Everyone goes through chapters like this. This is not the last time you will feel this way.

My advise to you is don't blame yourself for feeling badly. Look for what these emotions are trying to teach you.

It takes a very long time to learn - years and years - that lampworking is about you. It's about what you think and about who you are. It's about seeing what you see and feeling the way you feel and most importantly it's about having a method to do something with those understandings.

Because you are a lampworker you can - in physical reality - make something of yourself.

Fuck what other people are doing. Be yourself.

What you want, the way you see it, that's what's important.

Be honest with yourself. Jealousy, envy can be useful rather and positive things when used correctly in the glass shop.

This is a hard job. When it comes to issues like what you are talking about it gets harder the longer you do it, sadly. Your mind is asking you if you want this, if you really want this glass thing.

Cause it's hard. Painful. Embarrassing. Depressing. Infuriating. Belittling. Humbling.

What you need to be asking yourself isn't how you see techniques played out in the market at large but do you really, really want this in your life.

As soon as you decide that you do, the feelings and problems you have will disappear.

To tell the truth of your heart is harder than you might thing. Do you really want this glass thing in your life? Cause if you do, many painful realities will have to be faced.
    I've had my dozen this Year too, and everything is just so true... But if you decide to Carry on there will Be a Point when everything you do at the torch Starts Making Sense and you get really able toactually use the experiences you made in your work. That's good! Thus every piece of Glass you work in your career (Even if you hate it like hell) helps you to get there. Enjoy! Edit: i still Love a nice reversal!

Simeon: Try to find something that you are comfortable (and happy) doing, and don’t worry about current trends… it will set your work apart from others. There have always been certain styles and / or techniques that have been overused, which is something that will never change.

Tom

Well said tom.

you might find this to be RELEVANT.

I'm not sure why this thread has taken a turn from discussion of overdone techniques to discussion of your mental health, a pep talk about doing your best in life, solid career advice and suggestions for medication.

I'd have to agree that in both beadmaking and pipemaking, the mass of people beat certain techniques to death, then don't notice they're dead, and keep beating them.

People were acting like squig-squags were old and over done in 2005 (which they were then, too) and (headie) rettis were the wave of the future, but it doesn't seem like which patterns are popular has changed at all since then.

if anything the repetitious nature of the industry should build confidence for those with their own vision.

the pitfalls of the overly used techniques should be looked at as just those, pitfalls. new people coming into the game, skip all the steps involved in learning the medium and building a solid foundation from which to grow and expand the medium, and instead get caught in the mundane intricacies of the overly done.

all this amounts to is a growing gap between the fewer unique artists with visions and the mass of work being pumped out day in, day out.

without the average, the unique couldn't shine as bright.

so go out to your studio, forget everything about whats being done right now, and try something new. create anew and push the envelope of progression for everyone. you will be rewarded for your works, and are truly lucky to be in an industry/art form/medium that has the room for you. try being a musician if you think glass is hard to be recognized for.

i see no greater art form to currently work in, at no greater time, that can allow you as much visibility as glass does. i think its wonderful to see so many unique styles blossoming all around, and that one person's vision can really be their own. think about it, you can name an artist who does something you cannot/have not/never thought of. they have forged their path and created a technique or a style that they are known for.

that is a beautiful thing, and should inspire any true artists to rise above the fray, and balance their artistic pursuits with their inevitable production/financial constraints, which will always muddy the waters of pure intent.

Quote Originally Posted by funksizzle View Post
    Can you provide instructions for fuming with lithium? We are talking about batteries right? Should I wear gloves? ? ? ? ? ? Sorry Newbee here
    Seriously though don't fume with lithium unless you have a deathwish. Stick to silver and gold.

First step is moving out of Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Juedemann View Post
    First step is moving out of Iowa.
    right. i second that emotion.