The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Biggest marble$$

Default Biggest marble$$

So I had a client that had a bit of sticker shock when I told them if they wanted a turtle with a solid shell of at least 7-8" long and a fin span somewhere around 14" it would be around $350.

I'm wondering how big is the biggest marble you have made and what did it retail for?

Default Re: Biggest marble$$

scott pernica's 6" marbles go for 1800$. i don't know what the new 7" one went for but it was most likely 2x that. 350 sounds pretty cheap for that kind of work. maybe if it's all clear or you're wholesaling it

Boro? $350 sounds super cheap for anything that big made of boro
    Quinn The Eskimo Designs

Facebook [Most up to date work here usually]

"Flower implosions are for sissy behoches, I am not a sissy behotch."
    -Funksizzle

Do you have the boro-furnace???

What kinda torch you using?

Whats the biggest size marble you have tried so far?

mine biggest are 4 inches but only a few, over 3 and they start to get tuff for me on the torch...

Have you seen josh simpsons mega planets? or mark mathews giraffe marbles I think the 6-7 inches even for his biggest !!!!

Good luck, marbles are FUN,

if you ever come back around this way stop by...

Aloha

Quote Originally Posted by maui greenstone View Post
    So I had a client that had a bit of sticker shock when I told them if they wanted a turtle with a solid shell of at least 7-8" long and a fin span somewhere around 14" it would be around $350.

I'm wondering how big is the biggest marble you have made and what did it retail for?
    Your client is clueless. Your underselling your work. Don't waste your time and don't look back.

Your client is clueless. Your underselling your work.
    Seriously. Maybe if it was all clear glass, gathered in a hot shop, and sold wholesale... that would still be a good deal for a custom sculpture that large. Do you make things that big very often? Any idea how long it would take?
    "Badger, my ass; it's probably Milhouse."

Quote Originally Posted by somewhere View Post
    Your client is clueless. Your underselling your work. Don't waste your time and don't look back.
    This.

I don't even have the skill set to attempt something that big myself... if i did I would want at least $1200 for just clear.

You do understand that your material costs would exceed $350 in oxygen alone, right?
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Quote Originally Posted by Greymatter Glass View Post
    This.

I don't even have the skill set to attempt something that big myself... if i did I would want at least $1200 for just clear.

You do understand that your material costs would exceed $350 in oxygen alone, right?
    What would take two 180L liquid dewars of oxygen to make again? Really?

Last I checked a fill on a 160L in Hawaii is about $450

And then ship from Oahu. So by the time it gets to your shop it's venting... so who knows you might end up with 140L

Also, you'd need a big torch. A torch that can efficiently gather that much glass is a $7500+ torch, so you have to factor in your tool overhead into every piece...

One thing is, we don't know if he's talking lampworked boro (would probably make it some kind of record breaking project) or furnace work.... it's ASSUMED because this is, after all, a lampworking forum and John's GA.org page has some nice looking lampworked turtle sculptures on it... so it's a fairly safe assumption.

If we decide he's just asking the wrong group of people (for the most part) for furnace work, something crude and quick, $350 would be a "good" price for both parties if it takes less than an hour or so to make... even then, that's a lowball price if it comes out nice, uses much color, etc...
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Yea, I get that oxy is epensive in Oahu.

I just dont think it takes someone $350 in oxygen to make a turtle that size.

The Hawaii part is a little gimmicky too, for the rest of us you would mean it takes $140 in oxygen to make then not $350, just $350 for this guy because he lives on an island a thousand miles away from any land.

Either way, lets hear from him how much oxygen it would take. Sure aint 180L of lox........

Trev used 2 1/2K tanks to make his first huge marble
    and a lot of help from his friends changing tanks in the process.
    $350 is way to cheap!
    SUNRAY
    The Shopkeeper

Don't get caught up in the amount of oxy used that's just silly. Doug is making a point the overhead to make something of that scale needs to be weighed in. The fact is Maui is in Hawi where everything is crazy expensive. Don't get caught up in sematics it's just a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by wfsupply View Post
    Yea, I get that oxy is epensive in Oahu.

I just dont think it takes someone $350 in oxygen to make a turtle that size.

The Hawaii part is a little gimmicky too, for the rest of us you would mean it takes $140 in oxygen to make then not $350, just $350 for this guy because he lives on an island a thousand miles away from any land.

Either way, lets hear from him how much oxygen it would take. Sure aint 180L of lox........
    He does live in Hawaii so it does apply, and $350 for a liquid is low balling it. When I left three years ago my liquid was $550, so it has to be more now with gas prices as high as they are.
    I bet he is thinking furnace work, and even then it is a low price. That would be the biggest Turd-le I have seen in glass that wasn't kiln fused. If it was to be made out of boro it would have to be hollow and even then it would still be over $600 wholesale.
    Peace
    Nate

Within A Sphere

Thanks guys!
    I do feel like i way uderquoted, but the reaction I got made me question myself. I normally don't work on a scale this large, I believe the largest shell i've done was about 5" on a gtt phantom and liquid o2. I currently run kobuki that I just won this last fall at the Eugene flameoff. I think this torch can handle, and am hoping i can get through this project with 1 -2 K tanks(at $70 a pop).....As far as furnace goes, I have a little hotshop experience but only doing a few small paperweights and 1 big one. A boro furnace is a wet dream for me....some day, some day *wipes tear from eye*
    This piece will be done in carmel for the shell and clear fins. I have a nice big chunk of 2" schott to core it with so hopefully i will use less than 1/2lb of color.

Jes- When I make it back to MN I will definately hit you up, also you are very welcome to come play in Maui as you were one of the original guides in my glass journey before you i was like Ventilation!? what the hell is Ventilation lol

oh yeah,
    one more thing to keep in mind is that the shell is basically a flattened marble, so I believe a 4-5" marble will press to probably a 6-7" shell

So $140 in O2, probably $20 in propane, $50 in color and clear, misc overhead, maybe $20... your profit is maybe $120-130, for what will no doubt take you in excess of 5 hours....

*shrug*
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

Thanks for putting it into perspective for me doug. Oh well i won't make too much money, but I do enjoy the challenge of going big .

I'll post photo's and a time scale when i've finished the project. Thanks everyone for your input

You said yourself you underquoted - after you make it tell your client it took more than you thought (and it still very well might).... If they don't want to spend more than the quoted amount someone will buy a boro sculpture that large for at least $500 I'd think.

Either way, can't wait to see the pictures of the final product! Good luck bud

The amount of people who could actually *make* this is the reason to charge a looot of money There arent exactly kids in India or China cranking these out!