The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Formula to determine how much a kiln costs to run?

Default Formula to determine how much a kiln costs to run?

Anyone know how to figure out how much a 220 kiln costs to run per 8 hour day...I'll look to see the amps or whatever and repost quickly... It's my LGW Anatares. I'm under the impression it costs less than a dollar a day, but I know someone here know the magic formula to figure that out for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Formula to determine how much a kiln costs to run?

theres magic meters for this one n8 ... just look for them ... you could plug up your whole shop and figure out how much money the whole things cost you perfectly...

then agian i know exactly how much becouse my shops on one account.

Thanks Rob...got any links for this handy?

N8- This link might help you out:

http://www.cactus2000.de/uk/unit/massstr.shtml

you can also call the electric company and they will formulate it for you...thats what I did.....

Thanks!

depending on how your kiln is set up it might even be accurate...

forinstance say mine draws 15amps at 220 during full load... if i turn down the reostat some then whats it draw?...
    or if its hooked up to a digital controller that turns it on/off on/off on/off...

but yea i guess you can still figure it out.

if it lists amp draw figure out the watts and then use that calc that tom posted.
    watts=amps x volts

hope this helps... or just make the power company figure it out.

No easy answer here. The only true way to figure the daily cost would be to run the kiln thru a use meter. Just as it was pointed out your kiln cycles on and off so ohm's law won't apply. One possible solution would be turn everything off at the breaker then isolate the one circuit the kiln is on. Make sure nothing else is plugged in then read the meter outside the house. Run only the kiln, unfortunately you would have to run it all day to get a acurate reading.
    Wait here's the easy answer! Tomorrow run a full day without the kiln. Read the meter in the morning then read it again at the end of the day. Next day work with the kiln same routine.
    You can read the kwh cost on your bill or call the electric co. most Utility companies print meter reading directions on the bill so look there first.
    I keep thinking there could be a formula for cost since you know the variables size, insulation, and watt loading.
    Geez any excuse not to work. LOL I'll give it some thought and let you know if I can think of anything else.
    Florida sure is nice in Janurary

okay there is an easy answer though!!! find out how many killowatts an hour u use. its usually 1 killowat per thousand watts and 1 amp is a thousand watts so if you use 2 killowatts an hour and and your electicity is 10 cents a killowatt an hour then it would be 20 cents an hour!!!! prices vary from place to place but that gives you a basic idea my electicity here is 6.725 cents a killowatt per hour and my kiln uses 14 amps so its like around 10 cents an hour but when you go 220 you use half the amperage but your still useing as many watts so a 30 amp kiln could juice 6000 watts potentially!!!

hope this helps if you have anymore electrical ???? i can help but right now i desperatly need sleep!!

Cheers,Randy

You guys have been plenty helpful. Thanks!

http://www.brandelectronics.com/meters.html

if you truly want to track your cost, for taxes or other purposes...

their meters are availible all voltages, call or email for cost, I would prefer the clamp on style meter to a killawatt style plug in meter, altho, for cost, you cant beat the killawatt for 120V

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?lr...er&sa=N&tab=wf

i wondered about this for a long time, and no, there is no formula that's going to give you an answer because your kiln is not using its max consumption all the time. you'll get a theoretical maximum by using the watts/volts/amps.

if none of those meters cliffside posted work, you can easily rig up a regular house meter to monitor your 220V kiln.. since house meters are setup for 220V lines.

you'd have to make 2 extension cords, one for your kiln to plug in, with one end bare wires. the other one would plug into the wall at one end, and be bare at the other. the two bare ends would have to be fastened to the plugs in the housemeter. get a house meter from ebay or whatever. i plugged a meter i got from ebay in before the breaker box for my shop, so i've got my electrical consumption for my shop now. 70kw a day in winter or so..

also, some power companies might loan you a consumption meter. mine used to, but they stopped that program... probably the easiest first thing to do.

anyway.. good l0uck
    z-=-seth

Yo N8,

Saw this ? and hoped it would be a lgw kiln....

Must be my lucky day.

Normally you wouldn't be able to know how much a kiln was on but the LGW digitry will tell you what percent power the kiln is drawing at any time. You know what it draws on heatup from the amperage rating on the kiln (13.5 I believe). Time the heatup and figure the watts used and then after the kiln is hot for a few hours take a look at the power level (press Mode once while in monitor mode) and multiply that number (%) times the amps to see the amperage draw when hot. ( .45*13.5=6.075A). Transfer this number to KWH and compare to your Ebill and Volia you can estimate somewhat accurately your bill. Of course you aren't accounting for door opening and cold glass but a careful eye on the power meter and a stopwatch, maybe some graph paper, and your well on your way to an epic exploration of anal retention...The more accurate you want to be the more data you will need even if you get an ampmeter.

In my experience here in the Pac. NW a kiln like an Antares or 9169 costs around 50 bucks for a months work at 40 hrs a week plus ramping. Your cost per KWH affects this more than anything.

-marcel

Cool, thanks Marcel. That's super helpful.

<BTW, J. Wells is coming down from WA for a few days to melt some glass here in Drain with Lee and I...you should call him and harass him and get him motivated too - he's majorly procrastinating.>