The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Choose A New Name For The Forum!

Icon4 Help Choose A New Name For The Forum!

The staff have been working for quite some time now on many new upgrades to the forum, and we are very excited that we will soon be sharing these with our members. We are working on transitioning to the newest version of the vBulletin software, consolidating and streamlining different aspects of the site (such as the glass wiki, lending library, cafepress store, and possibly a poker room), and generally making things as easy as possible for the management.

To that end, we have been talking about moving toward a new name for our community. Discussions have been ongoing for over 3 years, with lots of good opinions on each side of the debate. The way it stands now, we have 3 different names, each with their own set of difficulties:

The GLDG / Glass Lampworkers Discussion Group / thegldg.com
    We've got the domain, but that's about it. The site header doesn't reflect it, the forum software redirects away from it, and it's a pain to say in conversation. It's easily forgettable, and certainly doesn't flow off the tongue. I don't think anyone is especially thrilled with this name. It's not bad, but it's not all that great either.

Talk Glass / talkglass.com
    Again, we've got the domain, and members are also starting to know us as such. However, as with the above situation, the site header says something else, and regardless of what the text in the URL bar shows, it seems that most people relate the name of the forum to what's listed in the huge graphic at the top of it. While this name does more or less reflect the purpose and direction of the forum, it's really quite dull, considering the hundreds of examples of interesting and fun terminology. The glass world is so rich; however, "talkglass" is anything but.

The Melting Pot [no domain]
    A lot of our members seem to agree that this name is quite good, but unfortunately, so do the people who own the franchise. This creates a number of problems for us: we can't get any domains (they've bought pretty much all of them), it creates confusion, and if we were to create a non-profit organization in order to better manage the forum, it opens us up to brand infringement. As cool as that name is, we really can't use it.

As a note: regardless of what's decided with the name change, the domains that currently access the forum will continue to do so. You shouldn't need to update any of your bookmarks.

So we've decided to ask you, our members, for suggestions. We need a name that celebrates the lifestyle of melting glass; a name that says just what we are in very few words. Something unique to the glass world, short and sweet, that really reflects the vibrant culture surrounding us.

Please add your ideas to this post. Suggestions will be added below as they are received, and a poll will be created with the top entries for our members to vote on. The winner will receive instant fame, fortune (not really), and a t-shirt bearing the new forum name and look.

We are very excited to be sharing these changes with you all. It is because of you, our members, that this place continues to be such a phenomenal resource to us all.
    Use as directed

Default Re: Help Choose A New Name For The Forum!

Too bad Fartglass has been done before, lol.
    E

I all ways reference it as The Melting Pot , but do tell them to type in GLDG cuz it is easy to find in a search, due to the melting pot franchise.

something off the wall and silly might work too like, hands on fire? Maybe one that has an interesting acronym?

Can we get a reference to Nomad in there somewhere like nomadistheshit.com or nomadkicksass.com?

How bout sending suggestions direct to you, Primo... I mean what's to stop some slimey git from registering one of the suggestions in this thread...
    It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    Really.

i've always like the GLDG

it's a shame no one else does lol.

I have no problems with suggestions being sent directly to me, but I'm also not overly worried about someone poaching a name out from under us. Although that's certainly possible, I'm betting on our members' goodwill and crossing my fingers that won't happen. Seeing the suggested names may spark some creative impulses in those who otherwise might not have had any input.
    Use as directed

keep it short & sweet ...like the melting pot or glass melting pot,..come on people,
    we get to put are 2 cents worth in , that is nice {input}.

I have always liked "The Melting Pot" best, sad that ya can't get the name. I was going to say "The Crucible" but after a quick google-ing I see it's taken.

Maybe something like "The Pyro's crucible" or "Pyro's Melting Pot". That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
    -Russ

I've always called it GLDG in my head. So easy to remember, if I check from another location that's what I put in the address bar. 'TalkGlass' sounds alright if it's already in place.
    It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    Really.

why not glassaholics anonymous?

The melting pot is whatsup really. In so many ways, it fits the community. The adversity of the people and techs....."glass melting pot".

I really like the melting pot too. And when people ask me what I am doing, I can say I am on the pot.

Aymie

that does make for funny tshirts hehe
    ~Misha

hearts of fire?
    turd burglers and lamp workers?

GLDG ftw

The melter's pot? Too close?
    "We'd be fools not to ride this strange torpedo all the way out to the end." --Hunter S. Thompson

i always liked the GLDG but if we have to change it, how about:
    1. The Melting glass pot
    2. The glass melting pot
    3. The Melting help pot
    4. The glass pot
    Never really liked talkglass, because we are mainly lampworking and others looking for stained or fused, etc. wouldn't really get any help from here. IMHO
    rdgdesigns.etsy.com
    www.rdgdesignsonline.com

Glass Asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    Don't fuck up the 'honey hole'

Facebook

glassmeltingpot.com?
    That way you don't infringe upon the franchise name and clearly establish yourself as a glass community up front.
    - J Frost

how bout ,,"I fu*$ed your mom with a big fat glass dildo.com" easy to remember flows off the toung..

aliensammich.gov?
    Last edited by ramanglass544; 09-12-2011 at 01:29 PM.