The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boro in a crucible

Default Boro in a crucible

At what temperature does boro become molten enough in a crucible for dipping...if that makes sense. Also, is it best to pre-heat the crucible before using it and the set temp? These are new un-used crucibles.

Default Re: Boro in a crucible

2350.....heat that fukr real slow....and yes heat crucible than fill with lb and a half of color every hour or so(less air that way)

Thanks Steve...at what temp and rate would you recommend?

Perfect ! Thanks again

one more thing ,once you get crucible past 1700 theres no more worry bout shocking it so i ramp mine at full power after 1700 and i havent had any problems...

When are you going to fire up? I'd like to be included if you let me know the plan. I can bring whatever supplies you need. Heat protection base tube tools etc.
    I have some experience melting pots of boro and pulling tubing and love to play.
    Anyway we should reconnect soon give me a holler or stop by.

let me know if you guys need HELP

Quote Originally Posted by somewhere View Post
    When are you going to fire up? I'd like to be included if you let me know the plan. I can bring whatever supplies you need. Heat protection base tube tools etc.
    I have some experience melting pots of boro and pulling tubing and love to play.
    Anyway we should reconnect soon give me a holler or stop by.

I think we should head to Gainesville. Learn from the master.

My 110 electric Darby dipper is flashing a "firing too long" message. It can't seem to get past 2260. I know it's 110 so that's most likely the problem but can I dip into opaque Aqua at 2260?

Getting in late. I hope you resolved the problem. You really need to address the control issue. What brand model and options?

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

Quote Originally Posted by somewhere View Post
    Getting in late. I hope you resolved the problem. You really need to address the control issue. What brand model and options?
    Late? 3 1/2 years or so... (Then again, that's nothing I haven't accidentally done myself.)

What the error message means is that your glass furnace - and I use that term loosely - doesn't have the horsepower to reach the temperature you've programmed it for. You've obviously found the equilibrium point between the power you have available to pump in and the heat leaking out. You're doing the equivalent of pulling a heavy trailer up a steep hill into a headwind with a 1963 Volkswagen Beetle. There's a point at which the gas pedal is on the floor and you're simply not going to go any faster.

Your temperature controller is telling you that point has been reached. The temperature is stuck at 2260 and it knows that it isn't going to go where you want it, unless maybe you're willing to wait a month for it to get there - hence the "firing too long" message.

Hehe.
    Brad the question was asked days ago not years ago.

While I agree with Brad your furnace may be underpowered you should be able eliminate the error code and you may be able to achieve the temps you want. Nothing more frustrating then pulling the trailer up the mountain and be feet away from the top when the safety system shuts your car off.

brads is offline Intelligence has its limits. Stupidity is infinite. Higher Learning Member0-1 years in glass!1-6 years in glass!7-12 years in glass!13-18 years in glass!19-25 years in glass!25-49 years in glass!Ninja Badge

I was commenting on djdascool posting in the thread 3 1/2 years after the last post, which is what I thought you were probably talking about. My bad.

I do agree that there's probably a parameter in the controller that can be reprogrammed to shut off, or at least greatly delay, the "firing too long" code. How much that might help is debatable. (It possibly might, I frankly don't know.) But even if it does finally manage to struggle to the crest of the hill, you're still pulling that big trailer with the wrong vehicle.

element busted? my skutt wont go past 2000 when one is out. just a thought, probably not it. if youre stuck, torch the shit out of the top of the pot and give it a go. controller might be too hot?

See, now, 1 1/2 years later, that IS getting into the conversation a bit late :P

So what about it djdascool, it's been 18 months, is your furnace to temp yet? :P
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

It cool though , now that everyone is pulling pots of color and doping clear.

People are comming off little tidbits of knowledge .

I only responded because a guy I know bought a Darby dipper 110 and showed me a pot of you guessed it auqa glass full but cold in crucible .

Did you end up selling the dipper and full pot ?

Or is this a common thing with Darby dipper 110 models
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!

The Darby Dipper im looking at on clay king says 2280w. Im not technically inclined but i would be very skeptical of the equivalent of two microwaves to be able to keep boro soupy. Maybe it was intended for soft glass, but i see no where in the manufacturer description that says anything about either. With this said ive never done a tube pull before.

Quote Originally Posted by TrichGnome View Post
    The Darby Dipper im looking at on clay king says 2280w. Im not technically inclined but i would be very skeptical of the equivalent of two microwaves to be able to keep boro soupy. Maybe it was intended for soft glass, but i see no where in the manufacturer description that says anything about either. With this said ive never done a tube pull before.
    2,000 watts per cubic feet should make plenty of heat (more then enough) Your milage will vary but with good engineering and materials you can get by with 1,500 watts per cubic foot. I don't know how it's built or materials used but it's believable.

Btw it's not if its intended for boro or soda lime the wire can only take so much. The temps you want exceed the working temperature of any heating wire. You can do things to extend the life of the wire but I haven't seen that used on any of these crucible kilns. Number one being a scr. Anyway they last so long then you rebuild.

Yep everyone I know that chats with me has rewired kilns a lot .

These are guys that started out just using reg big Octo kilns .

It's wierd at first everyone said you have to have these kilns .

Then those kilns still had to be fixed based on use .

Then I see a friend using reg Octo kilns and telling me he has to do elements every week and a half or somthing .

But he was pulling and selling tube like a mad man so it must have been economically feasible .
    Lampworking the road that never ends, Until your out of gas!