The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: how far from the place you reside is your shop?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Home is where the heart is...

65 69.15%
  • 0-3 miles

7 7.45%
  • 3-5 miles

5 5.32%
  • 5-10 miles

6 6.38%
  • 10-15 miles

1 1.06%
  • 15-20 miles

4 4.26%
  • 20-up - please specify

6 6.38%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I feel like working but......

Default I feel like working but......

I feel like working but my shop is to darn far for me to want to drive there now.

A few weeks ago I was all setup in my garage but my wife and I got a new place that doesn't have a garage tear* So late night urges to work after being motivated by "fun" isnt to easy now.

Just wondering how many of you have a shop at the place you reside or do you travel and how far?

Default Re: I feel like working but......

my first apprenticeship was on the first floor of the apartment building i was in. it was sweet.

now my garage, is MY garage. it's great.

having one at home and one at a big shop with a lotta people would be nice again but always need one at home.

My shop is still in the garage, just my wife and I finally moved out after she finished school before her PHD. Man I love my lady =) .

SHOUT OUT TO MY WIFE - She is such a sweet heart, she allows me to blow glass as a part time hobby/job but hopefully full time. I wouldnt be who I am with out her!

.... I need to get a small setup where I am at. Can only play COD for so long before I get really bored.

Does anyone have a good movie on netflix to recommend?

Best in show

Option 2 should be 1/∞ - 3 miles. 0 would mean it's at home, so it should start at the smallest possible quantity.

Well, my shop is in my backyard but this doesn't really feel like home so I think I'll choose over 20 miles. Does that count?
    Last edited by Julian; 10-08-2011 at 12:40 AM.

I could totally relate to that. My shop used to be about 15 minute drive each way and that was only b/c I found a really quick route, otherwise up to 20 minutes. After working day job then going home/eating/chillin for a bit and then having to factor in 30 minutes + made things quite difficult @ times.
    Then I moved downtown, 5 minute drive or less to my studio. My day job happens to be downtown as well, so everything is nice & close. So much more time saved.

Then the prob became oxygen being so damned expensive 65+ a K tank and the hassle of having to get it during business hours and co-ordinating use of the freight elevator....enter the homefill system and a helluva score on 16 K tanks.

That was August, been living downtown for a year as of Oct. 1st. This 2nd year living down will be much much better...just gotta fix my ventilation, air intake within the studio space...it's from an open window or open back door to the gallery space right now, which is fine in spring/summer/fall...but dammit, too cold for winter and sucks the heat out...it'll be nice too with in-studio air intake as I can shut the door...too easily distracted with other artists and co-mingling within the art gallery.

Soon, there will no longer be any reasons for me other than I feel like I've worked enough today.

Hope I didn't thread jack, just sharing some of the many reasons

"I feel like working but......"

I can't work at a home shop anymore although I fond my self living at my shop more and more, but when my shop is at home I can't seem to get motivated to work.. I always say shit like, I'll do it later. Having to drive to my shop makes me appreciate it more, when I'm there I work

for me the worst part of working from home , is that i'm a workaholic hermit , that lives in a somewhat isolated area. and sometimes i get tired of hangin out with myself everyday. we find the only way for me to stay sane, is for jeff to take a small glass related road trip every 3 or 4 months.
    Last edited by berning; 10-08-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: our incomplete thoughts
    "Never seen it, never bought it now you wanna sell it?
    ^And this guy, fuckin' wants to buy it even....lol.
    I'm impressed."

when in doubt, fuck it. when not in doubt.............get in doubt
    http://www.berningglass.com/
    http://www.glasspipes.org/BerningGlass

i like a home shop because i do what i want when i want... and i dont worry about the bills as much. but life and home life tend to creep in often.

i like a shared larger shop with people , limits, and this nice seperation of home and work , when your at work you work. and you have defined boundries that arnt respected in a home shop. and do larger projects and brain storm in.

so travel is needed till i have a local big shop to play in. i like a mix of both and try to keep em in balance.

I agree, I'd like to have both a shop at home and work in a large shop with several people.

^^that would be the perfect setup.

Berning i know what you mean
    Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank.

experiments with thermodynamics:
    http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35157

I picked "home is where the heart is" but our studio is only about 1/4 mile walk from home (on the same property.)

Peg

Ive always worked within walking distance to my house , most the time from my house.

If you're having trouble getting motivated, maybe this isn't for you.

In the last ten years, I've gone through so much shit just to make lamp-worked pendants and marbles...

...I MUST love it.

Don't get me started.

That depends.
    Half the time its next door and half the time its three plane rides and the better part of a day away.
    Next door is better!
    d
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Blog Entries

whether you're working in your house or commuting i think the key element to success is routine. keep consistent hours, it's great for discipline. you can still get a wild hair and go other times but never cut yourself slack against those regular hours.
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jello View Post
    I can't work at a home shop anymore although I fond my self living at my shop more and more, but when my shop is at home I can't seem to get motivated to work.. I always say shit like, I'll do it later. Having to drive to my shop makes me appreciate it more, when I'm there I work
    no doubt, i too need that separation of space, so many distractions/ other obligations at home

Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    whether you're working in your house or commuting i think the key element to success is routine. keep consistent hours, it's great for discipline. you can still get a wild hair and go other times but never cut yourself slack against those regular hours.

i have about a half hour commute each way, and I'm trying hard to get my self on a disciplined schedule. It really seems like it would make a world of difference in my motivation. I usually work about 8-10 hours but they are off hours, which for me makes it hard to feel like I really did any work that day. When your surrounded by people who work a "normal" schedule, it makes you want to also be on a similar schedule.

I have about a 30-second commute (to my torch bench in our garage), which is sweet, however I find myself frequently distracted with 2 homeschooling kiddos and 3 sweet hounds. I hope to ALWAYS have my torch set up at home, but I am really jonesing for the chance to work in a shop with others once in a while too. It gets kinda lonely being a hermit, and I'm figuring my shopmates wouldn't be bugging me to ask me what's for dinner.
    Christine Hansen
    www.christinehansen.com