The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick vac stack question

Default Quick vac stack question

I need to order some more tubing to do some vac stacks. I typically use heavy wall tubing on the inside and was thinking of using some medium wall instead. I am hoping it will make the terminations on reversals a little smoother of a process. I am just curious if anyone does this and if they prefer it over heavy wall?? thanks justin

Default Re: Quick vac stack question

yeah it definately helps terminations

I mean, it has been spoken of in the OG VAC STACK THREAD! I learned so much by sitting down and reading that entire thread, twice. I'd say fuck trying medium wall. But I'm also gonna say read that entire thread first. It doesn't make the terminations any easier, in my opinion. All the companies that produce it use 50 or 75x5, extr heavy.
    "This is your time. You don't get a second chance. Make it count"

Really OV? How? I've made line tubing different ways, and used 3 different brands, and they all terminate fine for me. I think its about how you do it.

Was being lazy lub on the search issue. I guess what I am getting at is seems I had much more consistancy with perfect terminations when I stick stacked then using vac stacked tubing. I am also EXTREMELY anal about getting perfect terminations. Just finding I am junking more in the last year than ever before. I can still get perfect terminations on heavy wall just seems less consistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lub View Post
    Really OV? How? I've made line tubing different ways, and used 3 different brands, and they all terminate fine for me. I think its about how you do it.

one can definetley get perfect terminations with heavy wall on the inside no problem, but using a medium or thin wall does make it easier to achieve.

having less clear under the color makes a not-so-perfect pick off look less washed out out, as theres less clear to dilute it, the color condenses closer together resulting in a cleaner looking termination.

Yeah, that does make sense, I guess it depends on the colors, application, working styles, heats, angles (Gravity) lots of stuff. I'd say keep trying with the heavy wall, as it maximizes color usage, and as far as I know, at least eusheen and darby do it the same way (With at least 4mm on the inside)

Imo ..Stick with heavy , the tubing will be overall easier to work.
    @B.RY_glass

more color then clear is better in my opinion. less transparency, quicker (/cleaner?) terminations, etc..

These are all opinions of course

im pretty sure the line glass from, i think, eu has med wall in it. I know the stuff i got from im pretty sure eu that was thinner inner clear than the stuff i have gotten from golden gate. Not enough experience to say ive noticed any difference except less washout obviously.

extra heavy ftw. More glass the better, terminations are not a problem if you keep the glass thick.

Blog Entries

overly thick terminations look sloppy to me.
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Lmwfy View Post
    more color then clear is better in my opinion. less transparency, quicker (/cleaner?) terminations, etc..

These are all opinions of course

I've never seen much of any transparency in a SS that I have done with heavy wall, inner and outer. (UNless done w a transparent color) even in some transparent colors like slyme you get a finished product that is barley translucent.

Another issue is when you do r balls, if there is more/as much color as clear you will have a bitch of a time trying to round out r sections , and shape evenly. seems like other problems like devit, and punty breaking holes when doing terminations can also become more common w less clear
    @B.RY_glass

Quote Originally Posted by Lub View Post
    All the companies that produce it use 50 or 75x5, extr heavy.
    some samples of either eu or golden gate i saw used thinner stuff on the inside, not sure if they currently do it this way.

i havent tried any but have tried vac'n a thinner outer 65x3.2, with a 44x4mm in the inside, as opposed to the regular way of 75x5/50x5. i felt like it worked nicely, the extra color to the clear ratio made it generally nice to work with. the colors were richer and the patterns condensed well.

i have been wondering the same thing though, if people like using thinner on the inside and still a 5mm over, or if maybe going thinner on both outter shell and inner shell might further improve upon the theory of less clear to color ratio.

id be very interested to know the truth on this because I have a hell of a time terminating on golden gates tubing, If i stripe and rod encase my own its much easier to terminate. Id say the easiest way to find out if you like it would be to just get a few tubes of the sizes you wana try so if you dont like it you dont have a whole case of unuseable glass laying around. id try it but Im not setup for stick stacks yet. have just purchased pre pulls

i am going to order some sample sticks of tube to try some different things. I have been doing exclusively 75x5 over 50x5. going to try a thick outer and thinner inner wall and start there first. maybe do one with medium wall, and a standard wall as well. I will post my results and opionion. Again I can work the heavy vac stacks fine but just trying to dial it in a little more. I would be willing to sacrfice amount of tubing to tubing that works that little extra bit easier for me.

as you use a thinner and thinner tube for the inner wall you'll start to notice that it will suck up into the spaces in between the rods making a scalloped effect on the inside wall, unless you melt it in really well. With thick inner wall the color rods melt at the same time that the inner wall does which gives a smooth well burned in tube with a smooth inner profile.

^^^^^^^^ good point. i pulled some stacks with 3.2mm outer wall once because thats all I had on hand. Those tubes were ridiculous to try to work. those two layers of nice thick clear really help keep the tubes workability consistent.
    repped
    Peace,
    Mike

....Holy Shit!! That guy just cup-stuffed a Kitten!!!

izzy, what was the thickness of the inner tubing on the 65x3.2 stack you did ?

my experience was otherwise, but its always a question of what color is used and what the distribution of it is within the color pattern. i felt like the 65x3.2 with 44x4 worked just fine, it condensed very tightly with alot of color saturation.

i also found that the 3.2. outer shell was exactly as intended, a win-win for use in double layering reversals. it was perfect for the inner layer giving enough depth without losing color saturation. double layered sections can become translucent because of the 4 layers of clear in the mix (unless you use a regular stick stack for the top layer which would be 3 layers clear).

FYI - when i pull tubing i use 90X6 60X9 (if you ever used any GGG tubing that is what we used)
    all dichro tube is pulled with 75x5

hmmm.... im thinking a video tutorial might be in order.....