The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: G.l.a.s.s. 2012!

Default Re: G.l.a.s.s. 2012!

Yea, hybrids are funny but I do agree. Giving people room to interpret a broad/open-ended subject might yield more creativity and possibilities. Otherwise we'd all have to be decent at animal-sculpting. I liked how all the groups' pieces had lots of "parts" last year.

Yes I agree. if we are too specific I dont think it will turn out as well.
    Also I think that each team should also focus on not just one main piece, but a set as in jar, chillum, spoon, sherlock, bub, whatever and main piece.

I know our team busted ass on some crazy fish thing. It turned out but almost was an epic failure. We pulled through... but i felt we spent way to much time on keepin it from failing... and in the end I felt like some of the less exp. guys on the team didnt get the opt. to really help out and be as active as they could have. I ment that as we could have used more stuff they made and been more involved from a team base.

It all worked out, and everyone had a great time. But this year im comming with exp from last year and I think we all learned how hard it it to coordinate 6 people into making some shit in two days!!!

Bring it on!

we need a couple bigger named artists to step up and join us. coyle was a big part last year and wont be making it. so thats one down. havent talked to budman yet. if hes not making it then that will be 2 leaders missing.

are we not trying to hide the fact that they are pipes? that was a big part of last years. they all looked like sculptures and you had to look closely to notice they were pipes. id personally like to stick with that but am up for anything. i feel if they are more sculpted than just pipes we might get more recognition.

I get what your saying. But are we going for a "incognito" look? If so then fuck making it a pipe. Lets just do sculpture/pipe team choice. I didnt realize we where kinda hiding it behind a sculpture.

The concept of multiple pieces is from a place to get everyone invloved, and resale point of view.

Im just throwing out ideas, I want this to be even better than last year, more productive to boot. Just honest here.

I had a great time last year, learned a ton about team work and leadership. You dont have to be a "big name" artist to be a leader. You need leadership skills, and coordination. Not easily done.

Whatever we decide to do as a group, im down and will 100% go for it.

i hear ya. that was the whole deal last year was hide the fact that it was a pipe. it made people push their limits and got us more recognition. there are plenty of things newer artists can make that can be incorporated into a piece.

most bigger name artists that would be into doing something like this would have leadership skills as they would more than likely have done collabs before. i already have a buyer for this years pieces. we just have to make them.

maybe we dont have any newbie artists participate? maybe we need to make it that participants have x amount of time in? i dont know and i really dont want to exclude people either but i also want all who are signed up to participate.

like i said im open for what ever.

I viewed it more as we were to make something that had more of an idea going on that just a typical pipe shape and colors.

It was quite a challenge to get together with 6-7 people I'd never met, in a shop I'd never been in, and try to turn out a large, top quality piece in less than 2 days. What we really needed to do was spend more time organizing and planning the piece before starting.

that is why we are discussing this now. last year i anounced the teams 2 months before hand so the teams could talk about their plan of action. most of the teams knew what they were making to some extent and had colors picked out way before the event. same needs to be done this time and thats why we are discussing it.

i still dont know who all is coming at this point. i have a list of maybe 10 for sures. we atleast need to figure that out to start.

so far i got
    coal
    alien
    fizzle
    mr. ed
    glassilluzions
    ganjakru
    star
    wisetron
    lupe

im sure im forgetting others.

next we need a theme or direction. i like the elements theme....earth wind fire water. or?

Yea I second that Julian.

I know I'm not as experienced as others, but I can lead a team if no one else steps up. From my team at least last year, there wasn't much solid plans set before the start, even tho we had a bunch of time in advance to meet or at least talk. I think we should set a timeline up for having a drawing or structure/function submitted before we head up, just to make sure we stick to one plan rather than going for it blind.

I liked the techniques based them kinda, could be limiting on the sculpture and styling.
    The biospheres sounds like it would push us to get creative, I think I like that the most.
    Elements would basically take care of color choices, simplify that aspect.
    Last edited by OracleGlassArts; 03-25-2012 at 07:32 PM.

heres last years spring team thread for which you were on alex......scroll down on the first page and look at the drawing.
    http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38679

and heres the final product. your team def knew what they were making going into it and didnt go in blind. thats the exact reason why we need to talk about it before hand. create a plan and execute. which your team did fabulously.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tornado.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	37565  

i think we need smaller teams with not as many newbies.

edit.....or maybe we have less people with smaller teams? that might help the whole situation
    Last edited by B.C. Creations; 03-25-2012 at 08:14 PM.

lol, Danny that was great! I never saw spring teams pre session drawing. Im impressed how they executed it, got very close indeed. Looks pretty solid.

Edit: karl73 we neeed you!

exactly coal! the winter team had a drawing to that was pretty close to the final piece. it was a great base to start with.

I really enjoyed the experience, and learned a lot about working with a team. My observations are definitely intended constructively, so I hope you didn't think I was complaining about the event.

not at all julian. i am just trying to make sure we dont go in blind is all. sorry if it came off wrong.

edit...i have alot of planning to do with less time than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by B.C. Creations View Post
    i have alot of planning to do with less time than last year.
    This means we all need to step it up a notch and get more involved, Danny... whatever I can do to help you know how to reach me. I really wanna see this succeed and develope from last year.

What I meant is before that, we talked about a number of things I thought we were doing and ended up doing the picture. I really didn't have any say in doing that piece, that was Ed and jake's genious, but like I said the plans Ed and I had made before that got trumped. What I understood going into it was that we were doing a storm head and lightening bolts.

Danny, I like your elements idea that you threw out a while back. It is similar in theme to the seasons theme from the prior year, but still open to interpretation.

Air, Earth, Fire, Water

If you went something like this, each team could kind of decide which way they want to go with it, whether they want to be sculptural in nature, or just use a color pallet that suggests that element (personally I'd love to work on the earth one, cause in my mind I'm thinking browns, moss greens, etc... and I like those colors)

You could even split it into 8 teams instead of 4, and give each of the elements to two teams to see what each team comes with.

I would stick with making these all pipes even if they don't look like pipes, as pipes sell. Art... sometimes sells.

That's my two cents.
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

^ no worries icarus...im sure they will all be pipes thats what we do brother!
    ~melt split open and melt~

peace, ryfizzle

so we gonna start drawing names from a hat? Pairs? I think pairs would be best. way less stress. Elements sounds good, lets do it.

I chatted up Karl via PM, sounds like he's interested, did you talk to him yet?

I like what Icarus was saying, you could put all the names in a hat, and the 4 elements in another, draw an element, pick 2 names, repeat till element hat is empty, then refill the hat w/ the 4 elements, repeat till the names hat runs dry. Would be cool to see what 2 different pairs come up with for the same theme.

do you have enough people signed up yet to start drawing names yet Danny?

Don't know if I can make it that weekend or not, I'll keep ya posted DP. Good to see it back, whoever makes it will definately have a good time. Thanx for hosting it again.
    “Chaos is what we've lost touch with. This is why it is given a bad name. It is feared by the dominant archetype of our world, which is Ego, which clenches because its existence is defined in terms of control.”
    ― Terence McKenna