The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stringer Vac Stack?

Default Stringer Vac Stack?

So, I am for the most part pretty sick of linework, but felt like fuckin around the other day and went old school with it. I did some stringer lined tubing and forgot how nice it can actually look after seeing so much full rod lined tube. Sometimes having 100 lines can be a good thing.

Problem is, anyone who has laid stringer inside to fill a tube knows it is fuckn time consuming. So the question is, has anyone tried doing a stringer vac stack? If so what kinda inner/outer did you use? I am thinking of using a thinner wall in and out, so as not to thin the the color out too much.

Anyway, just thought I would get the conversation rolling on this. I am probably gonna make a few attempts as soon as I get a break from orders, and make a few old school headies with it. I have been in such prodo mode since I got back on the torch, that I actually felt guilty spending the time to pull out some tube and wig a small section to see what it would look like! Need to tell myself that having fun is a good thing with glass, and was the reason I got into it in the first place...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4743.JPG   IMG_4741.JPG  
    Distributor of Gentec Products for the Glass Blowing Industry

Contact me for everything Gentec!

Eric F.
    Area 541 LLC
    Eugene, OR
    (541) 335-9907
    Instagram:

Default Re: Stringer Vac Stack?

do a normal vac stack with stringers between each rod.I like blingy stringers...other than that no i have not

I have and boy it is a pain in the ass (floppy, hard to control, the heat got to the sringer before it would stick). unless you got like 4 mm stringer. I found scraps of tubing laying around that were close in size collared up to it and went old school and just sleeved it. I have also put rods in side contrex a few times (in the grooves) and found that wrapping paper around a tube increased its size and helped to get a tight fit to get everything tagged to start. also if you want to vac stack stringer i would use standard or medium wall to keep the colors from washing out.

I've done one with all stringers, I normally use 26x4 and 50x5 for vac stacks..this one ended up with 32 standard on the inside, as the stringers were so loose, i needed a tighter space. I even used some alchemy dichro g strings, which was dope, but hard to keep the dichro side up. The traditional way to do it is just lay out your normal vac stack and slide stringers in the ridges between each rod....this way they don't move, as your pattern is already snug and tight.
    "This is your time. You don't get a second chance. Make it count"

How did it turn out with all stringers? How did the heavy wall work on the outside - did it thin out the color after you pulled it down?

Eric F.
    Area 541 LLC
    Eugene, OR
    (541) 335-9907
    Instagram:

It was actually pretty saturated, most of the stringers were 3-4 mm. I made this piece with it.

Yeah it looks good, don't see any washout. I guess you could just use some of those pre pulled 4mm color from GA. I was hoping to go more like 2mm tho to get the max number of lines but not sure how practical that would really be.

Eric F.
    Area 541 LLC
    Eugene, OR
    (541) 335-9907
    Instagram:

Well that's real nice to look at Lub!
    "Jesus' glass is janky." ~ Monkythrowpoop

Heat is rising
    Blazing fast
    Hot and evil
    Feel the blast

:Rob Halford

The first vac stack I tried was with stringer. I wasn't sure how my vac was gonna work and didn't want to waste a butt load of color on a failure. If I recall correctly, I used 25mm heavy as the outer sleeve and 12mm as the inner sleeve. It turned out very nice but it isn't really cost effective.

I think if you just do regular vac with full rods and use accent colors or sparkly colors between, it looks amazing. Saw that in a post about one of Eusheen's classes. That dude is a badass baller.

Wow, sweet bub lub. <-- rhymes

why not just do it tube encasment style instead of laying it inside a cup, lay thick stringers on 50xuber thick encase with 10-12 mil. and pull down.

Allstyles,

Glass Alchemy pulls all their lined tubing with 3mm rods then vacstack. I have a great setup if you want to come vacstack at the shop sometime, call me if you want to discuss it.
    **THERE IS A TIME AND A PLACE FOR EVERYBODY'S TASTE** CEE-LO GREEN

sick of lined work?! i dare you to go 12 months without making a reversal. just for the record, i publically swore off that shit (right here) in 2003 when you couldn't tell the difference between anybody's work what so ever. i think that was single handedly one of the best career moves i've made in my entire life. when the writing is on the wall, read it. i don't mean to give you crap, but if you want to drop lined work, don't just go out and make the lines smaller. i get your point, you're trying something new and mixing things up, but are you? if your soul is trying to tell you something, listen to it!

is it a bub, or is it a lub......it's a lubbub

couldn't help but think of the TAB song....Windora Bug

ABR IMAGERY
    812-339-0147
    866-342-4764
    Twitter: @ABRDave
    Instagram: http://instagram.com/abrimagery

Yeah Styles I will hit u up for sure, wanted to jive with ya soon anyway, show you my new prodo line.

JHoward, really dig your work, I think you made the right choice following your heart. I honestly feel like I need to find my own voice when it comes to being artistic with glass. As far as doing something new with a stringer reversal that is definitely not how I feel, it has been done many times over. It is more of a nostalgia thing for me because it reminds me of how I first learned to do them, and the style that was prevalent at that time. Stringer reversals and cane stacking- techniques that have died out to the Stick and Vac.

The reason I am sick of linework (and why I consequently rarely do it) is because it does not feel creative to me, but more a regurgitation of a style that has already been regurgitated many times over. Not that I don't like the way it looks, or that it can't be very impressive technique wise, I just don't feel it gives me a voice when it comes to glass.

That being said, i still find it fun to do sometimes and think it is a good thing to learn because it has the possibility to carry over to new techniques. It also seems like its popularity with customers/collectors hasn't slowed down much...

Eric F.
    Area 541 LLC
    Eugene, OR
    (541) 335-9907
    Instagram:

I am LUB and that is a lub bub, locally referred to as a lubbler...I love my name.