The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 33>104 New Magazine In Production NOW! Suck it Flow!

Default 33>104 New Magazine In Production NOW! Suck it Flow!

Just Kidding, Flow. Well folks, many articles are written, ad space sold, and hundreds of photos have been shot. Now it is all coming together, first issue should drop in time for armageddon, includes:

Micro Lathe Revisited, how to build your very own mini lathe on a budget
    Tooling Rollers, not just for cooking hot dogs
    mini Polariscope from 3d glasses and a flashlight
    Hand tools reviewed
    Artist Interviews
    Salem Community College, What's up with it.
    Tube grilling, because cooking a meal in a giant glass tube is f'ing slick.
    Indian glass, Empire of Jankyness, a look behind the Curry Curtain
    (Got lucky here, my brothers wife is Indian, and mom goes there monthly for business, anyone who reads this will never buy imports again, 12 y/o'ds in closed basements working off gasoline oxy torches cranking out endless "Tripple Blowns" with no ventilation, )
    A history of scientific glass blowing with interview with Dr. Joe Barker.
    Don't be afraid of the Lathe
    Borosilicate Crucible Kilns, the Hotness.
    Build a flash Annealing glory hole with firebrix and a hothead
    Virmiculite, why it is killing you softly, with it's song. La la la la- Asbestosis, put that shizzle in the garden and buy yourself a proper garage.
    Interview with the Flameworker, University Glassblowers
    Alchemy to Infinity, scientific glassware throught the ages
    Why cats suck. They are the soft glass of pets.
    They don't make em like this anymore, (well, actually they do) Complete teardown down of Carslile CC burner #107 and a brand new one.
    The Olimpics of the Top Torches, U sing scientific testing methods torches are compared , a GTT Delta,Mirage, Bethlehem PM2d, SSQ, CC, cc+, red max, and hand torches compete for , Melt thru 1" rod, Vac stack melt in speed, Workdown of a 1/2 pound borostix white, surface detrification in cadmium colors, etc,
    These ARE the Droids youre looking for!, how to Jedi Mind trick head shop owners, what to say and do to get your products in the stores.
    Medical Marijiana, Herbal Smoking Blends, I guess we can throw out those rolls of "for tobacco use only stickers now!
    Interview with
    WTF are in those horrid bath salts and other "legal" highs??!?A visit to the university labs, some time with a Gas Spectrometer, and the answer is here
    How to make "ear wax", butane extraction and reclamation distillation the safe (er)way
    Make your own ground glass joints

I still need some interviews with some prominent names, and we need a proper ad space sales person, but besides that there is enough content for several issues. I will have the cover proof and a test spread back from the printer/separator end of next week.

Anyone who wants to be a part of this hit me up, I need content, cartoons would be killer, whatever you do good.
    Love,

33>104

Default Re: 33>104 New Magazine In Production NOW! Suck it Flow!

look forward to seeing this come together, I have been excited since the last time you said this.

hmm...Who's writing the article on Salem...

And I'm pretty sure joe isn't a dr of anything
    Last edited by BK; 04-17-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Cool! I hope it comes together for you soon. I'll buy a subscription for sure.
    Laugh hard, it's a long way to the bank.

experiments with thermodynamics:
    http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35157

I'm in! More glass reading, sweet.
    “Chaos is what we've lost touch with. This is why it is given a bad name. It is feared by the dominant archetype of our world, which is Ego, which clenches because its existence is defined in terms of control.”
    ― Terence McKenna

I like cats. :p

The "curry curtain"?

Quote Originally Posted by BK View Post
    hmm...Who's writing the article on Salem...

And I'm pretty sure joe isn't a dr of anything
    Joe should be a doctor though
    Anthony - SJS

Glass Sanctuary]: Emmett's Glass has entered at 6:20 pm
    [Emmett's Glass] 6:20 pm: hey
    [Emmett's Glass] 6:21 pm: time togo beat the kid and dog
    [Glass Sanctuary]: Emmett's Glass has left at 6:21 pm

Progress thread - http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...383#post667383

Sounds interesting, but you kinda lost me here:

Medical Marijiana, Herbal Smoking Blends, I guess we can throw out those rolls of "for tobacco use only stickers now!
    Interview with
    WTF are in those horrid bath salts and other "legal" highs??!?A visit to the university labs, some time with a Gas Spectrometer, and the answer is here
    How to make "ear wax", butane extraction and reclamation distillation the safe (er)way
    Stick to glass maybe...
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

^^ agreed. And what is wrong with Flow? And why is 33>104? isn't it all glass art?
    Quote Originally Posted by hashmasta-kut View Post
    i love my buttplug on a stick ass well.

Nothing is WRONG with The Flow, but no one can deny that it's not what it was. I have every issue of the Flow, the change was gradual, but it's evolved over the years for sure.

I'd welcome a new magazine if for no other reason than to shake things up and knock off some of the dust that's been settling for too long.

That said, I have seen several attempts start and stop in the same quarter. If there's any money in it then it's long money, and that's a huge risk. It _HAS_ to be a labor of love or it will fail. I knew Wil and Jen when they were starting The Flow, there's no question that The Flow exists today because they sacrificed damn near everything for the first few years of that magazine - and they're still on that grind. You're going to have to fight for your place at the Grown Ups table.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Quote Originally Posted by RedToroBoro View Post
    ^^ agreed. And what is wrong with Flow? And why is 33>104? isn't it all glass art?

I am totally on the flow bandwagon now. The current issue delivered. Its nice to see issues that aren't all mandrel wrapped beads.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeclues View Post
    I am totally on the flow bandwagon now. The current issue delivered. Its nice to see issues that aren't all mandrel wrapped beads.
    That's amusing because the other day I saw someone bitching that it was too much functional glass.

FWIW, you started losing me at the "Curry Curtain" reference.

I was gone at this:

Interview with
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

Blog Entries

I don't think you would have been received with such harsh criticism if you hadn't started things out with such a snide little joke. if you value your investment I would suggest you get a different spokesperson. first impressions are crucial and in my opinion this will be with you for a while.
    "Scientists proposed that male lion's skill at ambushing prey in dense vegetation was previously unknown because of scientists' fear of being ambushed by male lions in dense vegetation." Harpers, findings, may 2013

Wow sweet! I'd like to write an article maybe.

is this a glassblowing mag or hightimes?
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    life>fiction

Quote Originally Posted by STROKER View Post
    is this a glassblowing mag or hightimes?
    That was sort of what I was thinking.

Adam, let me ask you something. If you worked next to another lampworker who every time they finished a piece, looked at it, and said "Suck it Snodgrass!" would that lower your opinion of Snodgrass, or would it lower your opinion of the person who says it?

I think you have an interesting idea, though I think that some of the things you've mentioned are more likely topics for a certain well established counter culture periodical with a team of expensive lawyers behind it. With that being said, we're all a big family here. Wil and Jen are good people who do a LOT to keep the US flameworking scene alive and thriving. Jim at Glassline as well. I work alone in my garage, and other than being on here, I talk in person with three or four flameworkers on a semi-regular basis, mostly all pipemakers. So every time one of those Flow or Glassline issues arrives for me, it's like a little life preserver, being thrown out to keep me afloat and remind me of ALL the things that can be done with glass. I might not work in soft glass, and I might still have mandrels that have their original coating of bead release on them, but I still read those articles, and still learn from them. Would I love an all boro magazine? Possibly, if it's done well, but that wouldn't make any of our other two flameworking magazines any less special to me.

So yeah, good luck. But perhaps the negativity that comes through in your magazines title and this thread title might be additional baggage that you should consider throwing overboard before they weigh you down too much.
    The most helpful bit of advice I've ever received:
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    -don't give up. it's more than a job, it's a lifestyle.
    www.nocoastglass.com

I also have every issue of the Flow, and agree that, on average, it has become more of a bead mag than a boro mag. That said, it's still fantastic, and you (Adam) don't win any points anywhere for being a dick about it, even in jest.

And while I think all of your non-glass article ideas are interesting for High Times, I think you're doing a disservice to the glass community by including crap like 'making erlll'. They do nothing but perpetuate stereotypes, and IMO will adversely affect whether or not some places carry the mag.

I'll still subscribe.

Not everyone's gonna like you, or what you do.

I dig it though, and I don't mind you stepping all over the line. I wouldn't do it myself but I enjoy reading about it and will subscribe!

Cant wait to see it. Since we're in the digi age are you considering a digital mag. that could save on overhead and still bring in subscription $ . And if it were in the apple bookstore you'd have instant acces to alot of folks...
    My inspiration to come here, gear up, and work on the torch were all coddled by "inspiration fog", which has then opened my eyes to other things a lamper could make. I for one ,would see this mag aimed straight at me.
    I don't see you stepping over the line. Some folks are just uncomfortable associating with sOcial stigma, where that line is is different for everyone.

This conversation reminds me of funny comedians that get shows for being funny and then have to cut up their act to appeal to the corporate boards that support them. Now they all do free podcasts.... They do it cus they love comedy, I suspect you share the same passion.
    You will have your own following of lampers/ pipers
    (are folks saying these things to protect you or because they want you advocate their style...)

A well rounded lamper who has had various exposure to all lampworking aspects and technique will have its benifets over the guy who just makes pipes however it doesn't hurt to have an identity!
    I would identify with your mag as i do ht.

I don't see any sense in tiptoeing around the fact of what people put in the pipe?
    I like the attitude. It was clear as day you Were being facetious . It's not like your stealing customers or talking shit....
    Props
    Last edited by DibbleDabble; 04-18-2012 at 06:52 PM.