The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Boro bead vs Boro pipe

Default Boro bead vs Boro pipe

I've done research on a few torches that say they have the ability to work 1 1/2inch boro and some say 3" boro. After reading some posts her I've see alot of comparsion about a torch being able to do 1" beads but the owners have trouble making anything larger than that because it is so timely.
    I am looking into a minor, tanked oxy &propane.
    GTT bobcat, tanked oxy & propane, or concentrator if I can get enough power?

Will I have any trouble working small boro pieces 1-3" with one of these setups?

Ya'll are gonna have to explain to me which process (pipes or marbles) is more labor intensive for which torch.

Default Re: Boro bead vs Boro pipe

I have a nortel midrange with premix top and a nice custom marver for $290. + fees + shipping... It's only $95 more than a bobcat and i would guess 3 or 4 times hotter/larger (bottom burner) plus you have the top burner for small work.

I'll toss in a 1lb of color shorts as well. ( G.A. & Northstar )

$30 off if you don't want the marver

I love that offer man, anybody would have to be a full not to take it. I'm just not ready to buy tonight. Sorry, if its around in a couple weeks we can talk business.

weird, someone else wants it but wants me to hold on to it for awhile also. You may be in luck. Let the race to come up with the cash begin...

i made a 1" marble on a minor once- just to see if it could be done. it took about an hour and i wanted to shoot myself. if you want to work boro, at least get a lynx, and you will be far happier. for a 3" marble (or gather) you'll need a phantom. that's a large amount of glass

I would suggest getting suzuki's set up. That was what I first started on and it's a pretty darn good deal being thrown out for you. I now use exclusively gtt but nortels are GREAT beginner torches. As a note I'm not affiliated with Suzuki in any way. Just letting you know that you should jump on that

Now, I am interest in how much oxy/fuel the mid-range uses. I know the redmax goes through fuel pretty fast.

Bottom line is if you wanna make anything of any size its gonna suck some fuel. If you are interested in a torch that can work bigger stuff on a concentrator, look at the gtt scorpion. It's a little more expensive, but is designed especially to run on low pressure. But still, I think as long as suzuki's torch is running well it's probably your best beginner bet

You can make spoons and marbles no problem on a midrange. It's a fairly versatile torch.
    Last edited by eyeseeglass; 05-22-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Did I say fairy?

If you are wanting to make anything large and nice. You should be worried about the time and glass you are literally going to throw in the trash compared to gas consumption rates. If yoy want to go bigger get a red max with a pre mix. That way when you give it up you arent that heavily invested in tools and equipment

i can make 2" marbles with my redmax no problem. i could maybe go bigger but 2" is the biggest mold i have

I dont often do marbles, but I have made tubes with over 4" beaker bases on my Redmax and just last night I made a wrap and raked reversal slide that is 1.75" at its widest point using just the top premix torch.