The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: AGI Update: April 23rd, 2012

Default AGI Update: April 23rd, 2012

Hi folks. This will be the 12th anniversary of AGI, and I’m getting very excited about it

I’m getting stoked extra early as we prepare for Lewis Wilson’s Soft Glass Invitational (SGI), and I wanted to fill you in on what we have going on so far, starting with the demonstrators.

Tim Drier-
    Tim is a scientific glass worker for Dow Chemical, and he will be doing s blend of scientific and artistic work, as well as showing the workings of his custom built bench. His work stays stationary, and the torch is mounted to what he calls a “hip slider”… It’s old school Dow Chemical stuff.

Tim will be here all week, and wants to share the bench concept with you. It may not be for everybody, but to some it might it might change your overall approach of how you work your glass. It’s a concept that has evolved from that facility over the past 80+ years.

Kenan Tiemeyer-
    In addition to being one of the nicest guys you’d ever want to meet, Kenan is an incredible marble maker and a master in fuming. Take a look at his work here: http://tiemeyerglass.com

Alex V.-
    You know him as Hasselhoff, Hazelnuts, Whale Boner, Arkitech, etc… he has more names than Cupcake has Croatian dollars. Alex will be demonstrating a tube that many would think would only be possible with a lathe… all by hand. http://www.glasspipes.org/AlexV

Eusheen-
    I know for sure that Eusheen will be making a belt buckle pipe, but he has other demos that we’ll reveal at a later date. http://www.glasspipes.org/Eusheen

Degenerate Art-
    Although Marble Slinger will not be able to attend AGI this year due to scheduling conflicts, he will be sending us a copy of the DVD so we can all enjoy it on a special “movie night”… a first at AGI. It will be shown simultaneously in the Lewis Wilson Building (projected), upstairs in the Bill Rasmussen Lounge (wide screen), and outdoors at the Robert Mickelsen Bar and Grill (wide screen projection). http://degenerateartfilm.com/

Boro Furnace-
    Our sponsor, Glass Alchemy, will be firing up the boro furnace each night to do some custom color tube pulls, which will be distributed to all guests. This is more than a demo, and guests are encouraged to participate in the process (following a short safety class). www.glassalchemy.com

Show and Tell-
    This year we will have tables set up in the Lewis Wilson Building on Monday (during the day) so people can show off their wares and gawk at others… all while getting to know each other early on in the week. This is also a first for AGI, and thanks to Andrew Moch for the suggestion!

Time Capsule-
    If I can find the proper container, I would like to bury a time capsule this year. Since this facility will be passed down to future generations of glass blowers, I think it would be cool to leave something to be opened 100 years from now. I‘m thinking artwork, biographies, printed materials, photographs, etc. I’ve wanted to do this for years, so now is the time to get off my ass and make it happen!

Glasscraft-
    Glasscraft will be set up in the store (second floor of the Lewis Building) selling tools, supplies, and equipment at discount prices. Please contact them before the show to place special (or bulk) orders so you can save on shipping and get a discount! http://www.glasscraftinc.com/

Farewell, Michigan Building-
    As you know, the Michigan building has seen better days, and repairs to it will no longer be cost effective. This is our last year with the beloved (and original) building. Feel free to tag the walls (INSIDE ONLY) and say your good byes to make way for a new building next year. Some of the hardwood planks in the walls will be recycled as furniture for the facility, and I am sending some wood (cabinet doors) home with Alex V. to let part of it live on in Michigan.

Saturday Night Party-
    As always, we finish off the week with a kick ass party complete with a pig roast, live band, and plenty of free beer!

Staff-
    I would also like to announce that my good friend Alex V. is now a permanent member of the staff here at AGI. Thank you Alex, and welcome aboard!

I will continue to add updates as they come in… We’ll see you in August

Tom and Elaine Doner
    (724) 791-2100

P.S. - If you haven’t made a payment towards your ticket in a while, you may want to call Elaine ASAP. We are very flexible with the payment terms, but there are some people that we haven’t heard from since the tickets went on sale.

Default Re: AGI Update: April 23rd, 2012

tom the line up sounds great.

im paid in full and cant wait to get up there and see you and elaine as well as all the other agi degenerates.
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    life>fiction

Yay...I can't wait...gonna be baller
    all killa' no filla'

Guest list sounds great, and I'm looking forward to the furnace stuff. The Degenerate Art showing sounds good, a chance to hear Pogo mention all the key lines again. Show and Tell is a smart plan.

Congrats in joining the staff, Alex!

Thanks....I'm excited to play a bigger role in agi.......oh I still havnt cut my hair.....so its on

Wonka what you guys do with the haircut money this year?
    all killa' no filla'

As far as I'm concerned, Alex, your demo from last year was the best I've seen.
    I can't imagine the balls it would take to demo a five hour double inline bubbler (I think that's what it was from what I can remember). I learned a tonne, including the importance of ultra-focus.

I'm glad you guys like the lineup... each person will be doing multiple demos. I heard from Tim today, and he wants people to try out his bench and techniques... he's very eager to share!

Tom

yeah, i wish i could have caught that demo

Jay- I actually thought about you after speaking to Tim. I was thinking about combining his bench with your "air mixer kabobbler" (as some have called it) for the ultimate flame working station.

Give me a call, and maybe we can work something out to make it happen!

Tom
    (724) 791-2100

i'm thinking of offering them for sale again - just need to have a run made up

mr. howard just what will one have to pay for a air mixer kabbobbler?
    Quote Originally Posted by mer View Post
    life>fiction

I'm paid in full and can't wait!!!!!

Hey Mr. Wonka if anyone flakes on an A ticket I'll take it. Right now i have a B but would love to upgrade if one becomes available.

I lookforward to meeting you guys and having a great week!!
    "Jesus' glass is janky." ~ Monkythrowpoop

Heat is rising
    Blazing fast
    Hot and evil
    Feel the blast

:Rob Halford

dont' know i'll have to get a few quotes. contemplating working it into a foot pedal system too.... or just stand alone. i'll let you know. probably a few hundred bucks

sounds like a good time can't wait!!

damn KT is there.. i'd go just for his demo!

Oi Tom, what's the current status on tickets? B for me... or nada. I just can't imagine not coming by to see everyone this year, and all the demos sound awesome- nice line-up.

I'd love to be able to come by, just wondering if y'all will have me.
    Julz

"Free Your Mind, and Your Glass Will Follow"