The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Glass table top needs fixing

Default Glass table top needs fixing

This isn't lampwork related, but you guys have all types of experience with glass I'm finding.

I'm looking for suggestions on where to go to get a glass table fixed. It is very thick - 1 3/4" - and and piece about 15" long x 2" wide broke off while moving it.

Glueing it is not a clean enough option as there are missing chunks. My first thought would be to grind the edge down or sandblast the sharpness away and accept the new 'design'. The problem is the size of the table prevents easy transport.

Is there anything to do onsite? and who would have expertise?

Thanks.

Default Re: Glass table top needs fixing

There are water fed angle grinders for working on stone and glass that cannot be moved...but my first thought would be find someone doing window glass in the area, and start calling round. Most of them will be able to pick it up and move it for you. If they sell and work on thick float glass they'll have the ability to move it.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Quote Originally Posted by Freerange Glass View Post
    This isn't lampwork related, but you guys have all types of experience with glass I'm finding.

I'm looking for suggestions on where to go to get a glass table fixed. It is very thick - 1 3/4" - and and piece about 15" long x 2" wide broke off while moving it.

Glueing it is not a clean enough option as there are missing chunks. My first thought would be to grind the edge down or sandblast the sharpness away and accept the new 'design'. The problem is the size of the table prevents easy transport.

Is there anything to do onsite? and who would have expertise?

Thanks.
    1 3/4" ??!!
    That tells me it's either cast or laminated. I don't know anyone or anywhere that floats anything that thick. Random fact 1 cubic foot of glass weighs 150lbs. I bet that table is heavy.
    If you can make a friend with a granite top installer they use all the tools you need to trim and polish the edge.

I was off on the thickness by an inch! It is only 5/8th inch! opps...

That's a pretty significant difference...

I have seen >2" float glass in architectural work, but it's probably not cheap - not even sure it's proper float glass, I think they're cast and polished pieces.

I would look in the phone book under glass and mirror. 5/8" is thick, but common, any glass shop should be able to seam it (grind the edges so it's not sharp) and will have a truck to pick it up and deliver it. It's probably not something you'd do in the field except as a last resort.
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

Here is probably your cheapest option:

Wet Grinder

The diamond pads will work fine on glass.

Make sure you don't try to dry grind it, if it is laminated the laminating
    glue will burn and make the edge mucho ugly.

Good luck.

Addendum, a felt wheel with Cerium Oxide will be required to bring it
    to a good polish.

6" adhesive backed felt pads

Cerium Oxide on eBay
    Last edited by Role; 06-20-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Thank you very much! I'll let you know how it works out.