The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: sentry 3.0 controller issues?paragon :(

Default sentry 3.0 controller issues?paragon :(

my kiln is reading 8888 on the controller screen. I checked the transformer and its putting out 24v, so according to Paragons site it is the controller.

can anyone help me to determine what is wrong with the controller and how to get the kiln back running on a budget?

as of now I turn it on and it just starts heating up right away, and reads 8888.

thanks for the help in advance.

Default Re: sentry 3.0 controller issues?paragon :(

Call paragon and see if your product is still covered. They might be able to help you fix it.
    Abe

I've had more trouble with my Paragon kiln than any other single piece of equipment I've ever used.
    The people there are very nice and great to deal with, but the product itself is absolutely horrible.
    I have 4 other kilns that I've never had any issues with, but the one from Paragon has just been one headache after another, and it's not even 6 months old.

I know none of that is any help, but I've been needing to bitch about it for a while now.

I have suggested to them on multiple occasions that they need active cooling (fans) on their kilns. I've heard it's an option, but not listed in catalogs - you have to custom order it. It's something they need to supply standard on their lampworking kilns, especially with the Sentry 3 and 4 controllers.

I've replaced 2 or 3 controllers in one kiln so far in the last couple years because the ambient temps in their kilns gets too high and fries the board. It's an issue they're aware of, but I'm sure they would appreciate polite and genuinely constructive feedback - posting on a forum that they suck is no way to get a good response from anyone.

in the meantime, get a small desk or clip fan (the little 4" deals), and point it into the slots on the bottom of the kiln - it will help some.

Also, all may not be lost, try unplugging the kiln, letting it col off, and try again. if that doesn't fix it, call Paragon.

Their contact info is:

Voice 972-288-7557

Toll Free 1-800-876-4328
    Doug Harroun
    Greymatter Glass
    Albuquerque, NM
    (505) 884-0318

A̿̐͒ͥ̏̅͋ͤͮ́́̒͢͏̨͙̩̦͔̫̠̲̤ͅ ̑ͨ̎͆͐̉̍̐ͤͮͨ͐̇ͩͦ̏ͣ̚͏̷̶̭̝̠͓̞̱̭̫͙̜̮̫͔̤̱͕͢b̓̓ͭ̿̓ͥ̐̒͂͂ͧ ̡̓͋̐ͥ҉̧̹͎̺̳̩̬̘̯̮̜̼̻͝ͅē̵̹̯̦̟͔͊̓̔͗͊̀͆͗̀ͭͭ̀̇͋͋ͩ̓̓͞͞͞ ̘̰̘͈a̧̹͙͇̫̲̻̳̦̦͛͑͂̌̊́̌̂̅ͤ̿͠ͅų̷̶̡̺̤̳͐̂ͣ̋̀ͅͅt̍̀͋̽͗̚ ̶͎͎̳̤͈̘̞͕̣̲̣̼͙͎̬̪̜͎̯ͤ̃̈́ͬͧ͒͟͞͝͡iͪ̋̌̄̎ͪ́̚҉̶̰͎̣̥͉̙̘̬͝ ͍͈̻̻f̡̟̤̥̝̞̈̋ͧͮ̂ͣͬͨ͆͊̌̇ͨ̚͠͞u̵ͥͦ̑ͧ̆͂͐̊̏̍̋̓͗ͭͫ͆́̃͊͘̕ ̛̱̳͓̠͖̕ḹ̢̧̦̬̲̟̳̉ͯͫ̊̏ͪͫ͝ͅ ̵̺̫͙̗̦̠̯̞̫̪̩͐ͭͮ̏̓͒̏͊͋̚̚͘ͅḧ̨̛̭̼̘ͤͥ̿ͫ̊ͦͧͮͮ̀̓̔͌̉̓̀̀͡ ̺͚e̷̦̤̘̯͎̜͇͚͔̱̙͖ͪ͛ͤͮͬ͆͆̾̾͂̑͆̓͜ȧ̴̋ͨ͂ͣͬ̓̆͐̾̿̐̃̒͊͌́͝ ̷͇̮̙̗͉͍r̵̜̰̣̫͙̦̻̖͕͎̘̲̗̘ͦ̋̑̀̌̎̓ͭ̚͞tͨ̅̇͛ͫͫ̆ͪ̌͋ͩ̉ͯ͊͌̌ ̴̨̢̭͚̳̦͖̻̮̬̣̮̟͓͉̪͈̍ ̷̷̫̬͈͓̞͈̞̬̹̟̯͚̹͇̩̏͋ͬ̍͛̎̑̄̽ͦ̆̔̈́̀͆ͩ̓

I have run the same f120 for years hassle free.. And I bought it used.... Maybe the older ones were built better??

I never said they suck, in fact I think they're great people. I just don't think the controllers they use are worth the metal they're made of. I've had other issues with mine, but the whole controller setup is just so poorly designed it kills me.

Here's some pictures of my main kiln's controller. If you're handy you could replace yours with something similar. It's basically just a PID controller connected to a solid state relay that opens/closes the circuit to the power socket in the bottom. This one is also connected to my PC through an old parallel printer connection, so that it can programmed through a really simple graphical interface.
    It's a little janky looking, but it's rock solid, can handle up to 9999 temperature increments per program, millions of separate programs can be stored on the hard drive, costs under $200 and most importantly, it's not bolted to the side of a 1000 degree steel box.

Obviously that's only worth considering if yours is out of warranty. Otherwise just call them. I spent a whole weekend trying to fix what they sorted out in 15 minutes..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0800.JPG   IMG_0801.JPG  
    Last edited by hedcraft; 06-20-2012 at 07:22 PM.

After a few tries we got the controller to reset, there was a loose wire going to the transformer that shorted, fixed that. As soon as the kiln is plugged in now (still off at the flip switch), it starts to heat up. Stuck relay I suppose? It has a mercury one already, calling MDI direct tomorrow see whatsup with testing the relay and replacing it.

So did the shorted wire cause the domino of problems I wonder....thanks guys for the feedback.

My first kiln was an f130, sold it right away as I hated the door design, then the person I sold it to got it home and it had a blown transformer...weird shit.

I usually throw shit in and just push "popcorn"

Hey Pogg, how did we finally fix that Paragon that wouldn't fire at the PMIBGPF?

The building I was in wired in 3-phase, and the breaker I chose was the high leg...
    I put a multimeter to it and it read 240 to ground. Found a different breaker slot, metered at 120 to ground and chose it. Voila!

My long-term electrician buddy is sitting right next to me right now and says very few residential areas are wired in this manner though.......

So Boat isn't residential... could have fooled me.

Ive suggested more then a few times that they should look in to fixing the issue with the controllers burning up rather them spending money to keep replacing them under warranty.

I had a similar issue with my 3.0 controller, it wasn't used for about 6 months and then I switched it on to find a Plog error. After calling paragon I was told it is a random error and they can't do anything and furthermore because Orton makes the controllers they couldn't even tell me more about replacing the relays and anything related to taking it apart.

I took it apart, powered the kiln without the controller then put it back in and voila it works.

However since the last couple weeks I've been missing digits from my screen display so all my numbers look messed, I kinda have to guess where its at based on how long its been on. It fully makes sense that the ambient heat from the kiln is frying up the board. I definitely will not be getting a paragon again.

edit: I remember being told by the folks at paragon that most of the 3.0 controllers would be out of warranty at this point