The Melting Pot - Where All Glass Addicts Melt Together - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: paint for goggles

Icon5 paint for goggles

Has anyone ever tried to blackout the clear frames on auralens sport goggles. I figure I may need to prime them then apply some high temp resistant type paint to make them opaque. The lenses are removable with the allen wrench bolt so I feel spraypainting would be the quickest applicator. any ideas would be helpful...Thanks
    Blazin Away!
    Merrimack Valley, MA

Default Re: paint for goggles

They will smell like spray paint,
    Are those frames nylon or plastic.Chosing the right type of paint is going to keep it from peeling or cracking.
    Look at vinyl paint at pep boys it might be better than a can of Rustolium.

There's a special kind of krylon that bonds to plastics, might be a good bet. Whatever you use it would probably be smart to try it out on a small area first and give it some time to see how it holds up.
    I have the strange feeling that I've forgotten all of this before.

How about some polymer clay and do them up to look like a Batman mask? Sure, it's not as quick, but if you're going to do it, have fun with it.

Past that, I've got the "smoke gray" ones and I think I'm lucky; I've never noticed any peripheral light problems with them. Do you have clear frames?
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

Ya they are very clear. The're probably fine in general but I feel my eyes are extra sensitive or something and I want to do the best I can for them.
    Blazin Away!
    Merrimack Valley, MA

the clear flames suck. aura mike recommended acrylic paint.. shopmate used it. it wore off, and possibly irritated his skin.
    i used the high temp BBQ spray.. it also wore off... but only where my face manages to touch my glasses... which, of course, is around my cheeks, where the light likes to come in..
    i did rough up the surface with some sandpaper first. it lasted .. maybe 2 years. i think a light sandblasting before the BBQ paint would work pretty well.

so.. ya.. don't have a great idea, but i didn't mind the high temp bbq spray paint from menards and/or home depot.

--seth

hmmm, someone else suggested to me the stuff you use to paint blackouts on like taillights for your car? The BBQ paint sounds good too, even if I have to re-do it once in awhile. My buddy works for a factory that produces high-temp paints but he said if you spayed it on plastic it would eat right through it.
    Blazin Away!
    Merrimack Valley, MA

Tool dip? Take care of the light issue and the nose pad problem in one swoop
    Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around, and desert you.

They are probably Polycarbonate frames. I would test a small spot with acetone or fingernail polish remover.....it should attack the plastic, make it start to melt on the surface. If it is, you would need a paint with some solvents in it to attack the plastic and really adhere to it. Also, the frames need to be cleaned completely of your body oils.....use alcohol. If the acetone works and attacks the plastic, use fingernail polish as an option. Its pretty opaque, should bond to the plastic really well, most girls and some guys have it in stock so its not hard to come by.....and you can do your fingers and toes to match!
    That's what I'm talking about!!
    Marble On!
    Mike

if it happens too quick, then that usually means it was rushed...( Sinbad )

Spray paint that shit and get back to work. I sprayed mine with krylon for plastic, I filled the side holes with 15min Bondo first, quick, cheap, done.

nice. thanks everyone I will have to look at the options and get this done. I've been using them clear for like 4 years now and its time to get this taken care of. thanks many thanks for the ideas and what not
    Blazin Away!
    Merrimack Valley, MA

Quote Originally Posted by gambitglass View Post
    I've been using them clear for like 4 years now
    and you can still see,why even bother?

Remove Lenses and Sandblast em work's like a charm.

I sprayed mine with black Krylon for plastic.. never had any problem with it. Spent about 2 years on the torch full time it has lasted.

Bruce dillie I bother cuz my eyes are scerwed up and I almost want to blame the clea frames for it. Get very tires/dry eyes after lamping and I've scratched both of my eyes in the past so they are on the sensative side.

I bought the Krylon for plastic in a dark red. I think it will work well and am planning on spraying tonight. they will look that much cooler when sprayed anyways.

Again thanks everyone for the input here and since a bunch have used krylon with success I feel confident in using it too.

By the way Home Depot does not carry Krylon so if anyone else reads this thread try walmart 1st because that it where I got mine from.
    Blazin Away!
    Merrimack Valley, MA

Ain't no light issues with them pups. Got mine about 3 weeks ago, and tadow. It must be your face!

I'm thinking what you'll need is this thing called a face job, and some of that yellow stuff that cleans out wounds that some may refer to as a wonderful stinging rush of joy.

If it were possible id deduct rep points from funksizzle for being a complete waste of space.
    Blazin Away!
    Merrimack Valley, MA

Hey I liked to finish is thread off with my results for this thread because I dont like to leave it unconclusive. I used the Krylon spray paint for plastic and it worked awesome. I applied a second coat and some areas peeled because I did't let it cure long enough before using them. I am going to do a couple more coats of the krylon now that I am not using the studio for awhile while I relocate it. It held up to the heat great where it is fully cured on the front of the goggles. Got a nice maroon red color that matches my car and some other things I own. I must like that color for some reason. I post a pic after I reapply this week to show you how pimp they look.
    Blazin Away!
    Merrimack Valley, MA